At the heart of the Causse de Gramat and at the gates of the Dordogne valley, Rocamadour, hanging on the luminous cliff overlooking the Alzou canyon, is a real challenge to balance. In a vertical array of secret rocks and brown roofs, the village is a prodigious overlay of houses and shrines: "The houses on the brook, the churches on the houses, the rock on the churches, the castle on the rock."
High place of Christianity since the Middle Ages, the medieval city offers many points of interest. Listed as UNESCO World Heritage, the shrines and in particular the chapel to the Black Virgin are offered to visitors after having climbed the 216 steps of the pilgrims' staircase. The shopping street of the city, lined with fortified gates, provides access to the Renaissance Town Hall, heart of this beautiful medieval city.
Coat of Arms: Three fleurs de lys d'Or on a background of Azure, and 3 rocks of chessboard on bottom of Maw (red) with the seals of the Consuls of Rocamadour of 1303.
AOC Rocamadour: AOC Rocamadour is a "pure goat cheese" made exclusively with raw whole milk, produced, processed and refined on the Appellation area in respect of tradition. It is creamy, unctuous and melting, revealing a smell of goat, cream or butter more or less pronounced with similar tastes. There is a thousand and one ways to taste the AOC Rocamadour: the Rocamadour is commonly enjoyed creamy, but, depending on taste, can be tasted dry, releasing more powerful aromas. Rocamadour can be stored in the bottom of the refrigerator or in a cool and humid place (around 10 ° C). Before eating, it is recommended to leave it for 1 hour at room temperature so that it regains its flavors and softness. The Rocamadour is a cheese that connoisseurs particularly appreciate because it pee: under his skin, we discover its creamy and temperature, its thin pearl skin.
The wines: The red Amadour (wine of the Lot country) is a pleasant wine to drink. Composed of 60% Merlot and 40% Malbec, its nose has great intensity and aromas of black fruits, morello cherry and spices. It is large in the mouth with fine tannins. It will be able to be kept 3 to 4 years. Pair with a Quercy salad, Quercy lamb or Rocamadour. The Amadour rosé (Lot wine), composed of Gamay, Merlot and Malbec, with aromas of white-fleshed fruits (pear, pineapple), acacia flowers and red fruits (cherry, raspberry), also seduces in the mouth by its size and freshness. Its quality was recognized at the Concours Général Agricole in Paris 2009 where the 2008 vintage was awarded the Gold Medal of the Lot Rosé Country Wines.
The foie gras: Close to Rocamadour, a farm raises each year 10,000 mule ducks for a production of foie gras and other regional specialties in the pure farm tradition and for the pleasure of gourmets.
The nut cake: The cake with nuts Rocamadour is a pastry, specialty of the regions of Quercy and Périgord. The walnut (since 2002 AOC Walnut Perigord), is the essential ingredient of this cake.
The Quercy lamb: The Quercy Farmer lamb is the product of a terroir (Causses du Quercy), a breed (Caussenarde du Lot), and a know-how that allows to produce throughout of the year lambs of "100 days". Raised for a minimum of 70 days with his mother, supplemented with a cereal-based ration, this lamb is farmed in sheepfold in a traditional and ancestral way.
Goat Milk Soaps: Goat milk fat molecules are exceptionally fine and are therefore easily absorbed by the skin. Goat milk soaps are known for their antibacterial properties that leave the skin hydrated and silky in a natural way. These soaps are frequently used in cases of dry skin, eczema...
- In March: Hiking Mountain biking Brive-Rocamadour.
- Pentecost Sunday: Cheese Festival.
- Father's Day: Flea market.
- In July: Pilgrimage to mountain bike ("Pélé VTT").
- In August: Festival Cantica Sacra.
- The last weekend of September: The Montgolfiades.
Fireworks Embrasement of the City of Rocamadour
- On 13 july 2019
- Cité Médiévale, Sanctuaire, Château
- - Free animations - - Points of view Embrasement: - Hospitalet, Route of Couzou - - Many car parks on the top of the city. - Volunteers, Amadouriens, Traders, Restaurateurs, many await you in Rocamadour on Saturday, July 13th
Country of Art and History: Visit Live Reading
- On 26 july 2019
- Hospitalet de Rocamadour, Rdv parking du château, à l'entrée du parc, devant le plan de la ville
- Through the alleys of the city, the guide leads you to discover the city differently to the rhythm of the readings of the book of miracles of Notre Dame by the actress Hélène Poussin of the Company Les Pieds Bleus. - From 6 years old. Ticket on sale in the Tourist Office during the day. - Appointment: parking of the castle, at the entrance of the park, in front of the map of the city, (at the top of the city).
Empty Attic in Rocamadour
- On 28 july 2019
- Devant l'Ecole, Hospitalet
- The Récéaroc association offers you an empty summer loft of about fifty exhibitors in front of the hospitalet school. - Exhibitors welcome from 7am
Elsa Grether - Partita by Bach for Violin - Rocamadour Festival
- From 5 to 6 august 2019
- Chapelle de l'Hospitalet, L'Hospitalet
- On the occasion of our mini concerts of 16h, Elsa Grether will play Bach 's Partita for violin at the Chapelle de l' Hospitalet.
- From 5 to 26 august 2019
- 5272F, Rue de la Couronnerie
- The Rocamadour festival has found its audience and won its bet: to give this great site a major cultural event. Charmed by the place, Emmeran Rollin, Laetitia Corcelle and Enguerrand de Hys, bring to the festival their trademark for three years: bold programming and novelties have made the festival of Rocamadour an unmissable event.
La Sportelle Ensemble - Rocamadour Festival
- On 7 august 2019
- Basilique Saint-Sauveur, Parvis des Eglises.
- Writing / improvisation - Music for voice, violin, harp and organ - Camille Saint-Saëns and his contemporaries - Distribution - Laetitia corcelle, soprano - Alix leparoux, viola - Kaelig boché, tenor - Cédric Baillergeau, bass - Elsa Grether, violin - Nathalie Cornevin, harp - Emmeran rollin, organ - Program - Part 1: The emotions of the believer - Henriette Renié - Andante religioso, in F minor - for harp and violin - Mel Bonis - Adoro te - for vocal quartet - Léon Boëllmann - Ave Maria - for tenor, harp, violin and organ - Camille Saint-Saëns - Quam dilecta - for quartet, harp and organ - Camille Saint-Saëns - Fantasy - for violin and harp - Léo Delibes - Agnus Dei - for soprano, bass and organ - Félix Guilmant - O salutaris - for quartet, harp, violin and organ - 2nd part: The doubt - André Caplet - Adagio, in B minor - for violin and organ - Camille Saint-Saëns - Offertory - Justorum Animae - for quartet and organ - Ernest Chausson - Pater noster - for tenor and organ - Camille Saint-Saens - Sub tuum praesidium - for soprano, viola and organ - Camille Saint-Saëns - You're Petrus - for quartet and organ - Part 3: The hope of redemption, calm and serenity - Louis Ganne - Invocation - for harp and violin organ - Leo Delibes - Ave Maris Stella - for soprano, viola and organ - Louis Vierne - Ave Maria - for bass and organ - Gabriel Fauré - Tantum ergo - for quartet, harp and organ - Camille Saint-Saëns - O Salutaris - for soprano, viola, bass and organ - Camille Saint-Saëns - Deus Abraham - for quartet, harp and organ - Louis Aubert - O salutaris - for quartet, harp, violin and organ
Bach / Tchaikovski - Renaud Capuçon and the Lausanne Soloists - Rocamadour Festival
- On 15 august 2019
- Vallée de l'Alzou
- Distribution - Renaud Capuçon, violin - The Lausanne Soloists - Program - Johann Sebastian Bach - Concertos for violin, bwv 1041, bwv 1042, bwv 1043 - Piotr Ilitch Tchaikovsky - Serenade for Strings in C Major, Op. 48 - Biography - The Lausanne Soloists - Linked to the High School of Music of Lausanne (HEMU) to teach since 2014, the violinist Renaud Capuçon strengthens its relationship with the latter by engaging with him to form this new ensemble. An ambitious project that offers current and former students of the HEMU the exceptional opportunity to perform concerts alongside a world-renowned artist. - This training brings together about twenty musicians around Renaud Capuçon, students from his class and those of other professors of the HEMU and chosen by competition. The "Lausanne Soloists" will tackle a repertoire specific to this type of training and the first concert tour will be dedicated to Bach and Tchaikovsky. - They will be performing in Switzerland and internationally for a dozen dates a year, as part of concert seasons and festivals, in February 2019. - Renaud Capuçon - Inseparable from his instrument of 1737, the Guarneri del Gesù, having belonged to Vicomte de Panette, then Isaac Stern, one of his mentors and teacher, Renaud Capuçon is one of the most talented violinists in the world. - Born in Chambéry in 1976, he studied at the National Conservatory of Music of Paris with Gérard Poulet and Veda Reynolds, then with Thomas Brandis in Berlin and Isaac Stern. - Konzertmeister of the Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester since 1998, he was named two years later "Rising Star" and "New Talent of the Year" at Victoires de la Musique. There are many collaborations with the greatest chefs and the most prestigious orchestras in the world. He travels through Europe, the United States and Asia and forges a prestigious career. - Named "Instrumental Soloist of the Year" in 2005, the Georges Enesco Prize was awarded to him by Sacem the following year. He is promoted to "Knight in the National Order of Merit" in June 2011 and "Knight of the Legion of Honor" in March 2016. - International soloist, chamber musician, author of an impressive discography, founder and artistic director of the Easter Festival of Aix-en-Provence and the Festival Les Sommets Musicaux of Gstaad, Renaud Capuçon is also a professor at the University of Music of Lausanne since September 2014, where he likes to share his passion.
Recital Hildegarde Von Birgen - Rocamadour Festival
- From 16 to 17 august 2019
- Chapelle de l'Hospitalet, l'Hospitalet
- On the occasion of our mini-concerts of 16h, Anne Bertin-Hugault interpreter Hildegarde von Birgen.
Mass in C of Mozart - Rocamadour Festival
- On 17 august 2019
- Basilique Saint Sauveur
- Melody (s), Gildas Pungier, Sabine Devieilhe - Distribution - soloists - Soprano: Sabine Devieilhe - Soprano: Violaine Le Chenadec - Tenor: Matthieu Chapuis - Baritone: Jean-Christophe Lanièce - Together A Venti - 8 instrumentalists - Positive organ - Didier Adeux - Bass - N, N - Choir Mélisme (s) - 17 singers, Direction Gildas Pungier - Composer of Agnus Dei Eric Tanguy - Program - Drawing on the work done for the Lanvellec Festival on Haydn's Creation, Gildas Pungier offers us a transcription of this mass in C of Mozart for this formation dear to the composer. Eric Tanguy will compose the Agnus Dei, completing the work. Mélisme (s) chamber choir finds here its partners of the ensemble A Venti, all from the best French phalanges on old instruments. - Part 1 - Kyrie K 341 - for choir and orchestra - Laudate Dominum K339 - (excerpt from the solemn Vespers of a confessor) for soprano, choir and orchestra - Grabmusik KV 42 - for soprano, bass, choir and orchestra - Part 2 - Mass in C minor KV 427 - World premiere of Eric Tanguy's Agnus Dei (commissioned by the chamber choir Mélisme (s) for soloists, choir and orchestra
Pygmalion Ensemble - Great Motets of Bach / Rocamadour Festival
- On 26 august 2019
- Basilique Saint Sauveur, Les Sanctuaires
- Distribution - Direction - Raphaël Pichon - Pygmalion set - Program - Great motets of Bach - Vincenzo Bertolusi - Osculetor meo with 7 voices - 4'15 - Johann Sebastian Bach - 8-part Komm Jesu Komm BWV 229 - 9 ' - Leonhard Lechner - If bona susceptible to 6 votes - 7'45 - Johann Sebastian Bach - Jesu meine Freude with 5 voices BWV 227 - 20 ' - Hieronymus Praetorius - Tulerunt Dominum meum 8 votes - 3'30 - Johann Sebastian Bach - Lobet den Herrn 4 voices BWV 230 - 6'30 - Intermission - Hans Leo Hassler - Domine Deus, Israel at 6 votes - 6'45 - Johann Sebastian Bach - Fürchte dich nicht, ich bin bei dir BWV 228 - 8'45 - Giovanni Gabrieli - Jubilate deo with 8 voices - 4'45 - Johann Sebastian Bach - Der Geist hilft unser Schwachheit auf to 8 votes BWV 226 - 7'30 - Johann Sebastian Bach - Singh dem Herrn ein neues Lied to 8 voices BWV 225 - 12 ' - Total duration: 1h45