The church of Saint-Jean-Bosco is located at 79 rue Alexandre-Dumas, in the 20th arrondissement of the capital.
It was built from 1933 to 1937 as part of the "Chantiers du Cardinal", a series of constructions of new Catholic places of worship decided by Archbishop Verdier, Archbishop of Paris, who wanted to cope with the rise in demography during 'between two wars.
The church was originally intended to be part of a more ambitious project that included a patronage and a boarding school nearby, all governed by Don Bosco's Salesian religious.
Made of white concrete, it was designed by the architect Demetrius Rotter who was inspired by the church built in Raincy by the famous Auguste Perret.
The building, listed in the inventory of historic monuments since 1982 and 2001, is a perfect example of Art Deco. Of classic plan, it has a high tower of 53 m square base. We also note that the internal stairs to access the platform and the top of the first part of the bell tower, are put forward outside as was the custom during the French Renaissance.
The interior of the church is a real museum of contemporary sacred art with altars, pulpit and superb baptismal fonts in onyx and bronze. The frescos, sculptures and stained glass windows were made by renowned artists: the Mauméjean studio (decor), the sculptor Georges Serraz, the glassmaker Jean Gaudin, Raymond Subes (ironwork).
In the choir behind the altar, a luminous altarpiece in stained glass, mosaic and glass depicts Christ on the cross surrounded by the Virgin Mary and Saint John the Apostle. On the vault of the choir a mosaic represents the Holy Spirit enveloping the Father and the Son.
The vault of the nave is covered with mosaics depicting themes related to the Virgin.
Guided tours are regularly offered by parishioners. Information on +33 1 43 70 29 27.