Corsair town looking onto the sea, Saint-Malo is a renowned seaside resort today. Surrounded by ramparts, the fortified city of Saint-Malo was superbly rebuilt to its original style after 80% of it was destroyed in August 1944. The town of Saint-Malo forms a magnificent whole with its ramparts, castle and beautiful buildings. A walk around the ramparts is essential and offers stunning views of the sea, the sandy beaches below, the National Fort (built by Vauban), the port and the buildings inside the fortified city.
To acquaint with the history of Saint-Malo, one can head towards the big keep of the castle, which is home to the Malouin City and Countryside History museum.
Visitors can also go to the Big Aquarium of Saint-Malo, a place entirely devoted to the marine world.
Every four years, the town of Saint-Malo is the starting point of the famous Route du Rhum solo transatlantic yacht race to Pointe-à-Pitre in Guadeloupe.
Cité Corsaire, capital of the sea, jewel of the Côte d'Emeraude... whatever the qualifications attributed to it, Saint-Malo has always been, in the course of its history, the rendezvous of all adventures, all dreams...
The city occupies a privileged place in Brittany. Located at the northern tip of Ille-et-Vilaine, on the edge of Normandy and a short distance from Mont Saint-Michel, Saint-Malo is also a springboard to the Channel Islands and England.
Place of history and legends, cradle of illustrious personages, the city knew, in spite of dark hours, preserve an authenticity conferred by its ramparts, its paving stones and its old stones.
Proud of a rich past, the renowned seaside city remains a modern city always looking to the future...
Some numbers :
Geographical location: 48 ° 38 '44' 'North - 2 ° 01' 3392 '' West.
Population: approximately 52,700 Malouins throughout the year, up to 200,000 residents in the summer.
Area: 4000 hectares (17 hectares for the intramural, 400 hectares for the zones of economic activities).
Saint-Malo is also: 29 kilometers of coastline, 11 beaches over 8 kilometers, 222 kilometers of road.
- Literary Festival Astonishing Travellers in May.
- World Folklore Festival in July.
- Fireworks on July 14th.
- Festival La Route du Rock in August.
- Quai des Bulles Festival (comics) in October.
- Christmas Market in December.
The Landscape with Flower of Skin
- From 1 june to 7 july 2019
- 4 rue du Pourpris, Galeire Audrey Marty, Intra-Muros
- Discover the beautiful landscapes in ink on wood of Pascale Nouailhat.
From the Infinitely Large to the Infinitely Small
- From 5 june to 6 july 2019
- Centre Salvador Allende, La Découverte, rue des Acadiens
- Photographic exhibition - Is infinity a mathematical or philosophical concept? - From infinitely large to infinitely small, between all or nothing, between important and derisory, between serious and futile, the photographers of the Audiovisual and Photographic Society of Saint-Malo will contribute to the debate. - During the school holidays, closed on Saturdays.
- From 27 june to 31 august 2019
- 2, Rue des Hauts Sablons
- Through her work, Patricia Olive tells stories that, if she could say otherwise, would not need to be painted. The artist stages 1930-40 women with graceful and delicate elegance, against the backdrop of the sea, Dinard, to pay tribute to this region she loves so much. - Each painting reveals, with modesty and subtlety, certain details of the Emerald Coast, which allow connoisseurs to identify the place; Dinard of course, but also Saint Malo, the island of Cézembre... - Romantic of the Belle Epoque, she revives today in her painting the delicacy of these crazy years, these "beautiful seaside", these women with red lips, evening dresses or striped bathing suits. - Each painting invites us to dream, travel, nostalgia for a vanished time and the fleeting memory of an emotion or memory that is past, almost elusive.
Culture In All Its Neighborhoods: Heads Up
- On 28 june 2019
- La Madeleine, Maison de quartier La Madeleine, avenue des comptoirs
- Têtes en l'air is a Cancal vocal group of 37 singers divided into 3 desks (alti, sopranos and men), directed by Aymeric Mahieu, conductor, pianist and composer. - In his repertoire, contemporary French songs: Renaud's Stonecutter, Miossec's Life Steals, Kent's Panorama, Louis Bertignac's Play, Yannick Noah's The Naked Feet, Francis Cabrel's Cork Oak... and many more again !
At the bottom of my court + Wyll
- From 28 to 29 june 2019
- 2 rue des Hauts-Sablons, Cunningham's Bar, Saint-Servan
- It's guitar percussion, piano and accordion - From the festive French song, which will immediately put you at ease - We tell you our stories about fighting and hope - Life of love and friendship, in a friendly atmosphere
The Corsairs' Day
- On 29 june 2019
- Divers lieux de la ville, Intra-muros
- Enter the legend by participating in the feast of the Corsairs, a playful, family and festive event, which will revive the history of the city around a day that will plunge the public into the conditions of the 18th century with animations and costumed volunteers. - Throughout the day you can participate in various fun activities, which will allow you to win gold malos. - If you come dressed in Corsair outfit, you will also be rewarded. - At the end of the day, the 50 best will be aboard a privateer ship as a crew member, and will receive a magnificent gift from the fun killer.
- On 29 june 2019
- 13 Rue du Bois Aurant, La Cave du Val
- The association "Les Elegantes Courbes" was officially created in March 2018. - It aims to promote all women but especially women round. - For this, we organize fashion shows without criteria in the region.
Saint-Malo Dub Club # 7
- On 29 june 2019
- 35, Rue de la ville És Houx
- Jah Tubby's feat Errol Bellot, Dixie Peach & Gregory Fabulous. - Jah Tubby's is a London activist in place since 1972. He has a unique sound appreciated and sought after by all fans of the genre. He produces, not only, his own dubplates and vinyls, but masterises and presses the productions of the majority of English and European sound systems (Disciples, Vibronics, King Shiloh, Reggae On Top...). It also builds powerful amps, speakers and speakers, sirens... Finally everything that makes a real sound system. All his productions are pressed to very few copies, which makes them rare pieces and sought after their release and feeds the legend of a discreet man, humble, multi-talented. A reference ! It is flanked by his long-time companions Errol Bellot, Dixie Peach and Gregory Fabulous that he is about to vibrate the walls of the New Wave! - I-Skankers Sound System // 8 scoops - For this new summer session, I-Skankers invests the New Wave again! Broadcasting positive and dancing music in a committed Roots & Culture spirit, the crew animates conscious and physical dances, inna skankin style with selections ranging from Roots 70 to Steppa UK! This will be an opportunity to show the massive their latest productions to come on their label I-Skankers Records! Adepts low round and steppa sounds, Come Inna Di Dance !!!
Poetic montage on Jules Supervielle
- On 30 june 2019
- Domaine des Mauriers, Rue des mauriers
- Recital on Jules Supervielle (1894-1960), poet and writer Franco-Uruguayan. His luminous work, clear phrasing (Landing - Gravitations - The Tragic Corps), earned him the Grand Prix of the French Academy in 1955. His worthy heirs are none other than René-Guy Cadou, Alain Bosquet or Claude Roy. - Come discover "this immense poet, builder of bridges thrown on the infinite, where things and living beings converse mysteriously despite the distances, in an immemorial secret melody". Theophile Briant and Lotus of Païni will naturally travel. - A lunch in Les Mauriers will follow the conference. Participation 25 € on reservation.
Folklores Festival of the World
- From 2 to 7 july 2019
- Dans les rues d'Intra-Muros et à Paramé
- 24th edition - International Festival of Music and Dances of the World. - The Folklores of the World will make you travel the world through the diversity of costumes, the plurality of music, the variety of dances. In short, a real invitation to travel. - The festival will be punctuated by Breton dance classes, tales, parades... - This year, the festival receives among others Spain, Argentina, Ghana, Serbia, San-Salvador, Kazakstan... - Opening of the ticket office from May 6th. Ticketing available at the Saint-Malo Tourist Office
Visit the Breton capital Rennes and its Parliament, its garden of Tabor, the town of Rennes, its markets, its old streets and many shops.