Corsair town looking onto the sea, Saint-Malo is a renowned seaside resort today. Surrounded by ramparts, the fortified city of Saint-Malo was superbly rebuilt to its original style after 80% of it was destroyed in August 1944. The town of Saint-Malo forms a magnificent whole with its ramparts, castle and beautiful buildings. A walk around the ramparts is essential and offers stunning views of the sea, the sandy beaches below, the National Fort (built by Vauban), the port and the buildings inside the fortified city.
To acquaint with the history of Saint-Malo, one can head towards the big keep of the castle, which is home to the Malouin City and Countryside History museum.
Visitors can also go to the Big Aquarium of Saint-Malo, a place entirely devoted to the marine world.
Every four years, the town of Saint-Malo is the starting point of the famous Route du Rhum solo transatlantic yacht race to Pointe-à-Pitre in Guadeloupe.
Cité Corsaire, capital of the sea, jewel of the Côte d'Emeraude... whatever the qualifications attributed to it, Saint-Malo has always been, in the course of its history, the rendezvous of all adventures, all dreams...
The city occupies a privileged place in Brittany. Located at the northern tip of Ille-et-Vilaine, on the edge of Normandy and a short distance from Mont Saint-Michel, Saint-Malo is also a springboard to the Channel Islands and England.
Place of history and legends, cradle of illustrious personages, the city knew, in spite of dark hours, preserve an authenticity conferred by its ramparts, its paving stones and its old stones.
Proud of a rich past, the renowned seaside city remains a modern city always looking to the future...
Some numbers :
Geographical location: 48 ° 38 '44' 'North - 2 ° 01' 3392 '' West.
Population: approximately 52,700 Malouins throughout the year, up to 200,000 residents in the summer.
Area: 4000 hectares (17 hectares for the intramural, 400 hectares for the zones of economic activities).
Saint-Malo is also: 29 kilometers of coastline, 11 beaches over 8 kilometers, 222 kilometers of road.
- Literary Festival Astonishing Travellers in May.
- World Folklore Festival in July.
- Fireworks on July 14th.
- Festival La Route du Rock in August.
- Quai des Bulles Festival (comics) in October.
- Christmas Market in December.
Dreaming the Universe
- From 1 october 2020 to 3 january 2021
- 9 rue Michelet, Grand Hôtel de Courtoisville
- The Galerie Saphir paris-dinard presents "Dreaming the universe", an exhibition outside the walls of Caterina Annovazzi, plastic painter. The artist is on site every Sunday from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. to present his work. Do not hesitate to contact her for a visit by appointment. - Extension of the exhibition until January 3.
- From 3 october to 1 november 2020
- Passage de la Poudrière, Tour Bidouane
- Daniel the Danvic - (Steam Trieux Atlantis Lofoten). - A line, a wire stretched between two points, the birth and extinction, sky and water. In between, on the path of light that unfolds Atlantis rests, dozing, the borders of the invisible, Lofoten blondes wear under a tireless wind, wave shiny everywhere borders the railway, pressed into shoelaces by monsters of steel between Guingamp and Pontrieux. Readability graphics, dazzling the monochrome, the sign that invites poetry. Pictures of Daniel Le Danvic reminiscent of belonging to a land of intuition, attachment to a certain kind of men and women crossed an insatiable desire to travel.
Emile Bernard - Sepias found
- From 3 october to 12 december 2020
- 9 Boulevard de la Tour d'Auvergne, Centre Cristel Editeur d'Art, Rocabey
- "I tried, in a way to me, to renovate this picturesque kind" once warned Emile Bernard describing its exceptional sepia. In other words, the masterpieces in brown and black signed by the person who co-founded the School of Pont-Aven and was so linked with Cezanne, Van Gogh and Gauguin. - Recognized as one of its strongest specialists, the Center Editor Cristel this sepia Art 40 of the last of the great French masters whose works are kept in the most important museums of the world, on both sides of the Atlantic.
Maps and Globes
- From 8 october to 31 december 2020
- 27 quai Duguay-Trouin, Maison de projet MHM
- In your furniture museum plans, nearly 250 cards are a fund which, if it is not as prestigious as those of the great museums or national libraries, has some quality originals. This set shows the known fascination all times with regard to the representation of the world, let alone in the maritime areas and the urgent need of states and up into the contours of trading companies operating purposes commercial and political. - The proposed selection offers a look at the products of some known hydrographic seventeenth century and a trip in latitudes that marked the malouine maritime history.
Europe in St Malo
- From 12 october to 15 november 2020
- 2 rue Nicolas Bouvier, La grande Passerelle
- From 12 to 15 October Germany comes to the corsair city, Under the German presidency of the European Union. - For the occasion, the city of Saint-Malo has prepared an exceptional program! In the exhibition, at the round table, through the cinema session, everything has been thought for you to discover or rediscover the history of Germany with us! - Programming for download below.
Young Talents of comics: "After 40 years..."
- From 14 october to 7 november 2020
- Pôle Jeunesse, Rue Salvador Allende
- In early spring, the Quai des Bulles Association invited cartoonists to draw fans a story on the theme "40 years later...". Following this call for participation, writer Fabien Vehlmann (Night of the Inca, Only Spirou and Fantasio Last atlas...) chaired the jury of professionals who examined nearly 120 stories, to select 15 we propose to discover in this exhibition. This staging also offers a foray into the world of Amaury Favier, big winner of 2019 and illustrator of the poster contest 2020 contest. An exhibition produced by the association Quai des Bulles, supported by Crédit Agricole in Brittany, arts Counter, the Thermes Marins de Saint-Malo, Quimper and bdBuzz community.
Roman and Jules Froquet Hidrot
- From 16 october to 15 november 2020
- 8 Rue du Point du Jour, Galerie Vincent Tiercin, Intra-Muros
- Romain Froquet, self-taught artist, his first steps in the area of the creation in the late 90s he expresses his talent through a work based on the repetition of the line and eventually develop his own pictorial language. It draws its inspiration from tribal art and the urban world. His protean art opens the way for all experiments; he explored many media, executing drawings in ink on paper, working the material and color on canvas in the workshop, or exploring the amount of movement during in situ operation. Its main quest is the search for balance through body language. - Romain Froquet recently invested Pavillon Carré de Baudouin, Paris 20, with his solo exhibition Lines and participated in the 22nd edition of the Trail Making Art in Pont-Scorff - Jules Hidrot - Frontality, fragments, densification define the photographic vocabulary Jules Hidrot. At the center of his work, the urban landscape, he asks full frame. The formal inventory stands of documentary aims to favor a poetry of memory towns. Exploded, repeated, returned, he appropriates isolated fragments by the city and is played in the loss of visual cues to create a new autonomous space. It produces ambiguous images, where doubt is part of the work. It wanders in a setting with tunes ever seen, but that is like nothing we really know. Between reality and artifice, he questions the boundary between urban and plastic approach. - Opening: Friday, October 16 from 18:30 to 22h (with the artists) - Opening: Friday / Saturday and Sunday from 14h to 19h
Celebrate Halloween at the Zoo Micro
- From 17 october to 1 november 2020
- 9 Place Vauban, Intra-Muros, Micro Zoo
- Do not miss the Halloween event Micro Zoo in Saint Malo Intramural! - Throughout the autumn school holidays, from 17 October to 1 November 2020 Micro Zoo transforms into a haunted and mysterious rampart offering fun games, puzzles, a photo contest and sweets! - Discover 350 animals ant crocodile in their natural habitats. - Open Monday to Sunday 10h to 19h continuously. - For extra thrills, take part in the night of October 31: 20h to midnight, remember to come dressed!
Entertainment Grand Aquarium
- From 17 october to 1 november 2020
- Avenue du Général Patton, Grand Aquarium
- During the holidays of All Saints, Greater Saint Malo Aquarium puts the spotlight on ocean plastic pollution through a new exhibition in partnership with the association The SeaCleaners and a large treasure hunt offered by educational team. - - New exhibition: "Stop pollution of the oceans" - Continuing the World Cleanup Day, Greater Saint Malo Aquarium joins the association The SeaCleaners to offer an exhibition on plastic ocean pollution, its impacts on marine biodiversity, prevention methods and challenges for the future. - - Halloween Trail game: "Become Ambassador of the Oceans" - In the dynamic vacation learning, the educational team also has a new children's treasure hunt to achieve throughout the visit. Mr. yuck has a funny way to celebrate Halloween... He sowed waste in the aquarium and the Saint Malo beaches. As a future Ambassador of the oceans, is this waste and answer the questions of the treasure hunt to understand why they can be dangerous to marine animals. - Reward to the key! - - Come celebrate Halloween! - On Saturday, October 31, the "little monsters" are welcome! Entry 4-12 years will be 50% for all disguised children. - All these activities are included in the price of an entry. - Booking niche tour schedule - During the holidays, book a visit time slot (only on our website) is strongly recommended. In case of overcrowding, only visitors with a confirmed reservation will be allowed access to the Aquarium.
- From 17 to 31 october 2020
- 17 Boulevard Gouazon, Association Jeanne d'Arc, et autres lieux
- Diving, lifesaving, kung fu, handball or Swedish gym? During the All Saints holidays, practice the sports of your choice for free! - Downloadable program below (subject to change depending on sanitary conditions).
Visit the Breton capital Rennes and its Parliament, its garden of Tabor, the town of Rennes, its markets, its old streets and many shops.