Corsair town looking onto the sea, Saint-Malo is a renowned seaside resort today. Surrounded by ramparts, the fortified city of Saint-Malo was superbly rebuilt to its original style after 80% of it was destroyed in August 1944. The town of Saint-Malo forms a magnificent whole with its ramparts, castle and beautiful buildings. A walk around the ramparts is essential and offers stunning views of the sea, the sandy beaches below, the National Fort (built by Vauban), the port and the buildings inside the fortified city.
To acquaint with the history of Saint-Malo, one can head towards the big keep of the castle, which is home to the Malouin City and Countryside History museum.
Visitors can also go to the Big Aquarium of Saint-Malo, a place entirely devoted to the marine world.
Every four years, the town of Saint-Malo is the starting point of the famous Route du Rhum solo transatlantic yacht race to Pointe-à-Pitre in Guadeloupe.
Cité Corsaire, capital of the sea, jewel of the Côte d'Emeraude... whatever the qualifications attributed to it, Saint-Malo has always been, in the course of its history, the rendezvous of all adventures, all dreams...
The city occupies a privileged place in Brittany. Located at the northern tip of Ille-et-Vilaine, on the edge of Normandy and a short distance from Mont Saint-Michel, Saint-Malo is also a springboard to the Channel Islands and England.
Place of history and legends, cradle of illustrious personages, the city knew, in spite of dark hours, preserve an authenticity conferred by its ramparts, its paving stones and its old stones.
Proud of a rich past, the renowned seaside city remains a modern city always looking to the future...
Some numbers :
Geographical location: 48 ° 38 '44' 'North - 2 ° 01' 3392 '' West.
Population: approximately 52,700 Malouins throughout the year, up to 200,000 residents in the summer.
Area: 4000 hectares (17 hectares for the intramural, 400 hectares for the zones of economic activities).
Saint-Malo is also: 29 kilometers of coastline, 11 beaches over 8 kilometers, 222 kilometers of road.
- Literary Festival Astonishing Travellers in May.
- World Folklore Festival in July.
- Fireworks on July 14th.
- Festival La Route du Rock in August.
- Quai des Bulles Festival (comics) in October.
- Christmas Market in December.
- From 25 april to 1 june 2019
- Centre Allende, La Découverte, rue des Acadiens
- As part of the Oodaaq festival - The Funny Stories exhibition features the work of 5 artists who have chosen the medium of video to implement different processes that can be related to the game. - Pushing the limits of the image to make his subject almost invisible, to film devices of absurd actions, the goal is here to try, to observe what happens in the experiment, and to start over again and again to discover new possibilities to show and to see, through the spectacle of error and anomaly. A game without finality, if not the construction, then the deconstruction of worlds, the appearance of possible stories, a process of endless search.
Sea of Men
- From 4 may to 30 june 2019
- Intra-Muros, Maison du Québec, Place du Québec
- The Yoanis Menge exhibition "Mer des hommes" reveals an existence closer to nature. It pays tribute to the Aboriginal peoples who are deeply rooted in their living environment and know all the elements of it. - The photographer shared the daily life of a Mi'kmaq family in the Gesgapegiag Reserve for several weeks. It reveals the Amerindian culture in contemporary Quebec and illustrates the meeting between the time of the elders and that of the younger generation. - The contrasts and light of his photos magnify the way of life of these women and men he has rubbed shoulders and whose image he wants to convey as close as possible to their reality. - The photos presented come from the hakapik and Gesgapegiag projects.
Brittany Cup of Clubs in Emerald Coast
- From 25 to 26 may 2019
- Plage de la Hoguette
- The Brittany Cup of Clubs brings together all the families of practice (optimist, catamaran, dinghy, windsurfing, J80, kitesurf) on the same navigation pool and allows to award the various titles of champion of Brittany clubs. - This major event of the Breton sail, will take place this year in the basin of the Emerald Coast: Saint Cast, Lancieux, Saint Lunaire, Saint Malo, Saint Suliac, Feins. - 500 runners are expected on the time of a weekend. - This event offers a magnificent nautical show from the coast!
Organ Road Festival - Recital: The Song of the Planets
- On 25 may 2019
- Cathédrale Saint-Vincent, Intra-Muros, Place Gasnier-Duparc
- Benjamin Alard, organ - Works by Bach & Buxtehude - The universe of Benjamin Alard is that of the music of Johann Sebastian Bach and it is for this musical connivance that the jury of the International Competition of Bruges awarded him his first prize in 2004. - Holder of the Bernard Aubertin organ from the Saint-Louis-en l'Île church in Paris, Benjamin Alard regularly gives recitals organized around Bach's music. - At both the harpsichord and the organ, he divides his time between recitals and chamber music, and he is invited every year to major centers of early music throughout the world. - Benjamin Alard began recording the complete master keyboard work of Johann Sebastian Bach. - This work, of an unusual importance, will take place over several years. - As an extension of Gilles Cantagrel's lecture on "The harmony of the spheres", Benjamin Alard offers us a recital devoted to works by Buxtehude (Passacaille and Chaconnes) and Bach (extracts from the Art of Fugue and Canonical Variations).). - - in partnership with the Music Season of the Conservatoire - - Ticketing at the Cultural Ticket Office, La Grande Passerelle in Saint-Malo, or on site one hour before the start of the concert
- On 25 may 2019
- Plage de Rochebonne
- Nautical flea organized by the association of Fishermen Pleasants Malouins as part of the "Make the Nautisme". - Boats, fishing, water sports, electronic marine decoration, annex... - Reserved for individuals
- On 25 may 2019
- Plage de Rochebonne, Saint-Servan
- This great event is the perfect opportunity to discover the range of nautical activities and meet industry players. - The nautical centers open their doors to inform you about the different nautical activities and the animations of the summer. - From 4 to 99 years old, everyone can find the activity that suits him! - Participate: - Nautical chips are organized by the association of fishermen sailors Malouins: deck fittings, fishing, water sports, electronic marine decoration... - Educational workshops on marine biodiversity and marine mammal species along our coasts.
Discover the Birds of Cézembre
- On 26 may 2019
- Île de Cézembre
- The island of Cézembre is an exceptional place for seabirds. Herring gulls, marine and brown have been nesting there for several years. Two alcids listed on the red list of protected species have also been breeding there since the 2000s: the guillemot of troil and the penguin twisted. - Volunteers of the association will animate three observation sites located on the path of the trail. - Attention, to go on the island, you have to take the tickets by yourself with taxi boats. It is strongly recommended to book in advance. - Path little difficult, predict shoes and clothes according to the time. - Free participation
Organ Road Festival - Young Audience: Musical Rally
- On 26 may 2019
- Paramé, Rue Ange Fontan, église de Paramé
- Join us for an afternoon for a nice walk in the district of Paramé! - This ballad will be punctuated by various musical and festive moments. - Thanks to the complicity of the students of the Conservatoire and their teachers, chamber music will be in the spotlight: duets & trios combining flute, harp, organ & violin will come to enchant you! - * First stage at the church of Paramé around the beautiful organ Mutin 1912. - * Second stage around the small organ Sévère Chapel of the community of Oaks. - * Small interlude at the Conservatory's organ room - * and Final at the Conservatoire Auditorium - A journey to live with family, on foot, by bike or rollerblading! - - with the complicity of the teachers of the Saint-Malo Conservatory: Anne-Catherine Botrel (flute), Agnès Ollo (violin), Anne Le Signor (harp) & Loïc Georgeault (organ) - - Appointment : - at 15h at the church - At 16h in the chapel of Oaks - At 5 pm in the auditorium of the Conservatoire - With the students of the Conservatory (flute, harp, organ, violin)
Organ Road Festival - Young Audience Concert: It's Your Turn!
- On 29 may 2019
- 3 Rue Jules Ferry, Eglise Notre-Dame des Grèves, Rocabey
- Special children's open doors to discover the organ - A unique opportunity for children to come and "try" an organ: put their little fingers on the keyboards, touch the pedals with their toes, operate the expressive box, pull the games and above all, listen to all these wonderful, mysterious, soft sounds, powerful, coming out of an instrument really unlike any other! - For one afternoon, the grand organ of Notre-Dame des Grèves church reveals itself to little ears. - An educational model will also be available to children. - An event orchestrated by Loïc Georgeault, organ teacher at the Conservatoire de Saint-Malo, an attentive & benevolent teacher.
Vide-grenier at the Parc des Corbières
- On 30 may 2019
- 10 rue de la Fontaine, Parc des Corbières
- Lively walk, pleasure to hunt, joy to find the object so coveted, the appointment is made to do good business. - Organized by the Association Trait d'Union, with 200 exhibitors
Visit the Breton capital Rennes and its Parliament, its garden of Tabor, the town of Rennes, its markets, its old streets and many shops.