Classified among "The most beautiful villages of France", Saint-Jean-de-Côle is located in New Aquitaine, in the Dordogne department. It takes place in the district of Nontron and takes its name from Saint Jean-Baptiste (the name of the Church) and from La Côle, the river that crosses it.
Built in the 12th century, the Château de la Marthonie protected the church and its priory. Despite this, the village suffered from the English invasion during the 100 Years War and when it was taken over by the French royal troops. Today the castle dates from the 15th and 17th centuries and is currently being restored.
The arrival of the railway line between Angoulême and Brive in the 19th century brought a new demographic boost to Saint-Jean-de-Côle, but only during the works.
Today turned towards tourism, the town has an important architectural heritage, as well as a certain charm. With its ocher houses and brown tiled roofs, the village of Saint-Jean-de-Côle seems to have stood the test of time with the same elegance and the same beauty.
Listed as an historic monument, the Saint-Jean-Baptiste church is the former priory church of Saint-Jean-de-Côle. Built in the 12th century, it has the singularity - among other things - of not having a nave. Outside, 75 modillions (small sculptures representing plants or characters) can be found under the roofs of the chapels.
The building is also preceded by a charming little hall. The church is open to the public all year round.
Only open during Heritage Days and group visits from 20 people (by reservation at the Tourist Office), the priory initially built in the 11th century was destroyed during the 100 Years War, rebuilt in the 15th century, it is now partially classified as an historic monument.
While passing through Saint-Jean-de-Côle, do not miss to admire the old 12th century bridge classified as an historic monument, the narrow streets beautifully flowered as well as half-timbered houses built in the 14th century.
Also listed as a Historic Monument, the Château de la Marthonie, built in the 12th century and destroyed during the 100 Years War, rebuilt in the 15th and 17th centuries. These exteriors as well as the grand staircase and the large 17th century living room (fully restored) can be seen during guided tours organized by the Tourist Office from July to mid-September, every day at 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.
The green way, formerly the railway line, offers seventeen kilometers of hiking (from Thiviers to St Pardoux the river) to stroll and admire the surroundings and the beautiful village that is Saint-Jean-de-Côle. It is also the start (or finish!) Of the Flow Vélo
The second weekend of May, see the famous Floralies of Saint-Jean-de-Côle arrive during which the medieval village is adorned with thousands of flowers.
In June, the Musicôle festival offers several concerts in the village.
Poterie au Colombin
- From 27 march to 2 april 2023
- Poterie au colombin
- On the occasion of JEMA, I welcome you to my workshop and shop in Saint Jean De Côle, in one of the most beautiful villages in France. - For me, ceramics is pottery. I only make pots. I like them ancient, "primitive". They are part of me and my Lithuanian peasant culture. Their roundness, their sensuality to the touch and their multiple uses inspiring the shapes that are best suited to them, are the qualities that attract me the most. I like the simplicity of their appearance and their decor, resulting from the repeated practice of a well-mastered tradition. - I make pots with a low-firing clay, I shape them in a rounded shape thanks to the old colombin technique and polish them with marine pebbles. - I will explain my work, the different stages of manufacture, decoration, cooking and I will do demonstrations.
Sculptures et Joaillerie à l'Atelier Volumes
- From 1 to 2 april 2023
- 3 canton des Templiers, Saint Jean de Côle
- Visit of the workshops and demonstrations
Châteaux en Fête - Château de la Marthonie
- From 17 april to 1 may 2023
- Château de la Marthonie, Le Bourg
- Commented visit of the castle - The guided tour of the Château de la Marthonie includes the exterior architecture, the 17th century grand salon and the 17th century staircase. - Adult rate : 3.50 ? - Free for children under 12 years old - Duration of the visit : 30 minutes - Reservation required by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 05.53.62.14.15
Châteaux en Fête - Château de la Marthonie - "Cyrano de Bergerac...en un peu Court"
- From 22 to 30 april 2023
- Château de la Marthonie, Le Bourg
- "cyrano de bergerac…in a little bit short" - Cyrano de Bergerac ? Yes I see…the one with the big nose…the movie with Depardieu…Bergerac ? Yes it's not far… - Come and (re) discover the history of the Gascon with the big nose, the big heart, the big love. - A walk in a part of the castle (courtyard, lower room, staircase, reception room, park) during which two actors and an actress replay the passages of the play by E. Rostand. - Full price : 10 ? - Reduced rate (-18 years old, unemployed…) : 8 ? - Free for children under 6 years old. - Reservation required by email to email@example.com or by phone 05.53.62.14.15
Les Floralies de St Jean de Côle
- From 13 to 14 may 2023
- Vaulted rooms of the castle of Marthonie decorated with flowers as well as the 12th century church. Flower and plant exhibitors throughout the village. Nurserymen, horticulturists and craftsmen will make you discover plants, flowers and various objects. Pastries and sandwiches stand, refreshment stand, catering on the spot.