A 40 km south of Dijon, this small town, ringed like a drum by its ramparts and bastions, and is still in the early 21th century the center of the Burgundy wine trade. In its venerable wineries ripen nicely nectars called "still wine".
Parliamentary capital in the fifteenth century in the duchy of Burgundy, which prefigured Europe, this city of art and history shows all the spiritual, cultural economic and soon a province in the heart of Europe.
On the ramparts, a Hotel Dieu never ceases to redeem the "sins" of a great servant of the "state Bourguignon": Nicolas Rolin. This famous site visited by over 400,000 people each year, boasts justly of a masterpiece of Flemish painting: the altarpiece of the Last Judgment attributed to the painter Rogier van der Weyden.
In a city where you can still wander, we discover a ducal palace converted into a museum of wine and located between Paradise Street and the Rue d'Enfer - it does not just happen! -. Emerging from the same street, coincidence?, The gaze is on the collegiate basilica of Our Lady, youngest daughter told of the Abbey of Cluny.
And still, to homes in mansions, a whole society scrolls, aristocrats of the sword or dresses, but also merchants and notable artists, Felix Ziem painted Venice ... and Jules Marey invents itself as one of the fathers of cinema.
A vineyard has 580 hectares of red wines from the Pinot Noir. An exceptional domain which 320 hectares in the first vintage (the largest surface first thought of all the coast). Firm, frank, colorful, full of fire and bouquet, soft, these are the wines Beaune. The Duke of Clarence sentenced to death by his brother the king of England exclaimed: "I wish to be drowned in a butt of wine Beaune that my death is effortless and good". What better promotion ...
Gastronomy is an integral part of the life of a Burgundian. Fine dining, full of tradition and innovation.
A good table is carefully balanced: the puffs and cheese appetizers around a Kir to whet the appetite. A marbled ham or Burgundy snails, or eggs in red wine sauce make a delicious entry. Then comes the beef bourguignon, coq au vin, quail at the vineyard, the Burgundian stew, ham with wine lees. All these casseroles agree so well with the wines of the region.
Beaune, whose heritage is experiencing amazing conservation, allows visitors and residents to enjoy a privileged setting. Rounded in its walls, Beaune offers a harmonious and full face charm that combines studs Middle Ages, the sweetness of the Romanesque architecture, and delightful mansions from the 15th and 16th century.
- Museum of Fine Arts is in the beautiful architectural ensemble of the Porte Marie de Bourgogne, the museum presents its rich collections of 12th to 20th century. Do not miss: the Flemish and Dutch paintings from the 16th and 17th centuries and native son, Felix Ziem, famous for its many views of Venice and its Orientalist paintings.
- Hotel-Dieu jewel Beaune and Burgundy, the famous Hôtel-Dieu initiated in 1443 by Chancellor Nicolas Rolin is a masterpiece of the Franco-Flemish and a wonderful witness of civil architecture art Middle Age. In the inner courtyard of the famous glazed tile roofs the splendors of a hospital created "for the rest of the body and soul."
- Burgundy Wine Museum: housed in the charming Hotel des Ducs de Bourgogne 15th century, it was designed in the spirit of "Arts and Popular Traditions." Just push a door to get into the story of the vine and wine. On the first floor, get carried away in the imagination of wine thanks to the design of Aubusson tapestries made by Lurçat Tourlière.
- Collegiate Church of Notre-Dame: "Daughter of Cluny" dominated the Romanesque, Our Lady tells us the history of the Burgundian religious architecture from the 12th to the 16th century. Take time to admire the ornate choir five remarkable 15th century tapestries depicting the life of the Virgin, the house and the charming little cloister of the Middle Ages. At the exit, take your fancy in the streets of Hell or Heaven.
- The Dalineum: in the intimate atmosphere of a private house, an extraordinary private collection of works by Dali: 250 drawings, paintings, sculptures and furniture. Works with world famous Venus de Milo with Drawers, Rhino and the famous Bocca sofa shaped mouth. Exclusive shop for work and leave with a certificate of authenticity.
- Caves and wine tourism tourist Areas Beaune. Circled like a drum by its ramparts and bastions, Beaune deserves its title of capital of Burgundy wines! Make a "basement exit" is a must.
- Special Hotels mansions of medieval timber-framed, Renaissance facades of the Caryatids, Gothic mansions and elegant residences of the great century, Beaune is beautifully preserved. A stroll in the heart of the city is required.
- Walls of the City: Beaune preserved fortifications that form a walkway 2 km punctuated private enclaves. From inside the city or along the boulevards, discover fortified bastions, towers, turrets, gardens and squares, which are the charm of this walk.
- St. Nicolas Church: Beyond the elegant porte Saint-Nicolas, was built in the 13th century outside the walls, the church of Saint Nicolas. By visiting this area winemakers who has retained its character typical small courtyard houses, stop for a moment under the welcoming porch stone benches of the church.
- Visit Town in Cave: discover the rich history of Beaune following your guide within its medieval walls. It goes back in time, Roman origins to the Golden Age of the Dukes of Burgundy, through the large trading houses that make Beaune the capital of Burgundy wines ... The tour ends with a tasting.
- Visit Beaune Gourmand discover Beaune in terms of gluttony. A sweet ride salty tasting among traders.
- Visit audio guide Beaune: visit Beaune released with an audio guide. Comments on the main monuments, the history of the city, its characters without forgetting the stories!
- Guided tour of Fallot Mustard. Last craft manufacturer, the Fallot House pays tribute to this iconic product of Burgundy. A true initiatory journey to discover the history of mustard, the manufacture and enjoy!
- Park Bouzaize: Delicious park designed "English" in the early 20th century, generations of Beaune have walked in the shade of big trees and were boating on the artificial lake. It is also the start of the Beaune Véloroute - Santenay.
- The Mountain: residence and walk, it's on the Mountain and from its table of orientation that offers a panoramic view of the city and its vineyards. At his feet, bordered between Pommard and Savigny Beaune the vineyard presents its 652 hectares of appellations of origin that make Beaune the most important area of Burgundy "wine village".
- Park Creuzotte: adjacent to the park Bouzaize the 6500 m² recently refurbished respecting the environment are primarily dedicated to relaxation and wellbeing. This totally pioneer garden in concept invites walkers to explore the nature by walking on paths raised to preserve the flora and fauna. Rest areas, picnic areas, cycle route stop made with natural and innovative materials available to visitors looking for smooth and quiet.