City Tours is situated on the banks of the royal river, in the heart of the Loire Valley World Heritage listed by UNESCO. Capital of the kingdom from 1450 to 1550, the city of Gauls, The Turones, has never ceased to grow demographically and economically.
Originally small Gallo-Roman town perched on a hill protected from river floods, the city of Tours will spread more and more to join the Cher (a tributary of the Loire flowing 3 km further south) . With its port, the city of Tours will acquire great wealth allowing him to build one of the largest basilicas of the age: the Basilica of St. Martin. Destroyed, the fact remains today that two traces, the two towers: the Clock in the West, where stood the entrance, and Charlemagne Tower, 100 meters to the east, in the rue des Halles, paver color symbolize the floor where the pillars that supported the building.
Top Christian pilgrimage during the Middle Ages, the cult of St. Martin will give the city an international reputation. And through waterways (mainly the Loire), the influx of many craftsmen will give rise to huge fairs.
During the Renaissance, Tours and the Loire Valley in general will be the center of the kingdom of France, geographically, culturally, economically and politically. Also becoming a mecca for leather tanning.
Aristocratic city in the empire, here and there with beautiful homes will be built in the district including Prébendes.
The arrival of the train will cause many changes in economic and philosophical. Station and City Hall were built by the famous architect Victor Laloux (he has also the Gare d'Orsay in Paris, now converted into a Museum of Arts of the nineteenth).
Partly destroyed during the Second World War, the city will benefit from American assistance for the reconstruction of the city, in honor of this precious help, the old stone bridge rebuilt by the GI's will be renamed Wilson Bridge, the behalf of the President of the United States at the time (also located on the fountains and other library are gifts from the USA). Will follow the war boom and major urban projects of the iconic mayor (and deputy minister) Jean Royer: Congress Centre Vinci, HLM banks of the Cher, Two Lions Technopole.
Nougat (round cake made with almonds and candied fruit) is a specialty of the city. The other specialty is rillette Tours.
- Frequently garlic.
- Great flea market of Tours.
- Tours sur Loire
- The Vocal Anthology.
- La Biennale Rays costs.
- The holidays Musical Touraine.
- The Academy Francis Poulenc.
- Aucard of Tours.
- Film Festivals: Bad gender, Night Studio.
- The Epoch.
- A Festival of Bubbles Tours.
- Emergence Festival (jazz).
- Total Meeting Festival (electronic music).
- Paris-Tours: cycling.
- 10 and 20 km from Tours.
- Christmas Market.
Monthly Tours of May
- From february 1905 to 30 may 2019
- 34, Jard François I
- The ccc od mediators offer guided tours on Thursdays at 6.30 pm, Saturdays and Sundays at 4.30 pm in the current exhibitions, according to a thematic itinerary.
2nd Regional Spring Festival of A.S.I.E - "Pollution in the World, its Remedies and Solutions"
- From 6 may to 8 june 2019
- 64, Avenue Jean Portalis
- Over a period of one month, the Association of International Solidarity and Education (A.S.I.E) will present for its 2nd edition, the Regional Festival of Spring A.S.I.E. This festival entitled "Pollution in the world, its remedies and solutions" will be present throughout the region Center-Loire Valley, from Bourges through Tours and Châteauroux, to Orleans. More than 20 free events (except 3), conferences, debates, shows, exhibitions, prepared in partnership with many local partners, will punctuate this festival.
- On 22 may 2019
- 5-7, Allée Aimée de la Rochefoucauld
- A story hour in English for children from 3 to 6 years old.
Vitiloire - Tours Fête the wines of the Loire Valley and its gastronomy
- From 25 to 26 may 2019
- 1 à 3 rue des Minimes
- Promote Val de Loire wines and Touraine gastronomy: - - 150 wine growers from the Loire Valley and the Center - - 15 artisans from the food industry - - 10 chefs from Tours - - Oenology workshops - - Cooking demonstration - - Hiking and cycling - -... - Admission is free to all, to participate in various workshops and tasting, vintage glasses are on sale at the reception of the event at a price of € 6.00.
- On 25 may 2019
- 2, Rue des Ursulines
- Studio Night will take place on Saturday, May 25 from 6 pm to dawn with the screening in 5 sessions at 6 pm, 8.30 pm, 3.20 pm and 4 am, from 15 films of all genres, from all horizons and from all eras. With a village of associations for gourmet breaks and entertainment..
Vocal Florilège of Tours
- From 31 may to 2 june 2019
- 3, Rue des Minimes
- Unique in France, the Vocal Florilège of Tours welcomes choirs from around the world every year. Large or small ensembles, with equal voices or mixed voices, they are judged by an international jury composed of personalities of choral singing which, among other prizes, awards the highest reward: the Grand Prix of the City of Tours. - For 3 days, a broad audience of music lovers has the opportunity to participate in a festival in which the voices of the world unite to offer wonderful moments of musical sharing.
World Cheese and Dairy Products
- From 2 to 4 june 2019
- 75, Rue Bernard Palissy
- Once again in the spotlight in Tours from June 2 to 4, 2019, the Mondial du Cheese and Dairy Products will take up residence at Parc Expo for this 4th edition. - This unique event is a real meeting place, exchange and information on innovations and developments in the sector market. - In 2017,35 nationalities (Italy, Belgium, United States, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Switzerland, China, Israel...), answered present to wear the colors of their country.
Aucard from Tours
- From 5 to 9 june 2019
- 65, Avenue de Pont-Cher
- Concocted by Radio Béton (a local radio station with around 30 years on the clock), the Aucard Festival is dedicated to contemporary music. - In addition to the evenings under the marquee of the Gloriette, many free concerts are organized in the agglomeration tourangelle but also in half a dozen cities in the department.
Museums-You at the Library
- On 5 june 2019
- 2 bis, Boulevard Winston Churchill
- In a painting, there may be feathers but also hair, velvet dresses and straw hats, a wooden table and... and... and...? And this cut chiseled with such finesse, is it money, gold, iron...? How to make the difference ? As for the chick, it's a ball of down, definitely softer than the feathers when you touch it. But ants, how are they? - Come and learn more from the Museum of Fine Arts, the Museum of Companionship and the Museum of Natural History which will welcome you with pleasure for a fun and friendly afternoon.
Una Noche in Andalucia
- On 7 june 2019
- 13, Place de Châteauneuf
- A breath coming from Andalusia that will bring you the time of an evening on airs of alegrias, tangos, bulerias y más to make you discover this company of 3 musicians (Alejandro Mendía, Alex Carrasco, Guillermo Guillén) and 3 dancers (Léa Carlosema, Marie Clastre, Samantha Alcon). - Find the essence of flamenco through mesmerizing dances, deep songs, all accompanied by a powerful guitar and frenzied percussions.