Charming medieval city, Sézanne takes place in Grand East region, in the department of Marne. Situated about forty kilometers from Epernay and sixty kilometers from Châlons-en-Champagne, it enjoys a great proximity to the Paris region. Nestled between the Traconne forest and the Saint-Gond marsh, it also reveals a great diversity in its landscapes.
Populated since Gallic times, the city of Sézanne suffered extensive damage during the great waves of invasions before being reborn from its ashes in the 10th century. Completely rebuilt in its original location, it is equipped with a castle and fortifications, as well as numerous windmills. Considered one of the largest cities of Champagne in the thirteenth century, it took a new lease of life in the sixteenth century with the development of the leather industry, the trade of cloth, as well as viticulture.
Almost completely destroyed in a fire in the early seventeenth century, Sézanne is today a pleasant tourist town that has maintained an important architectural heritage that attracts a large number of visitors.
Classified as Historical Monuments, the church of Saint-Denis impresses with its square tower high of more than forty meters. All in blond stone, it has a beautiful Gothic style flamboyant since the sixteenth century, and survived all the outrages of time and war. Restored in the early 2000s, it reveals Renaissance stained-glass windows, as well as a beautiful fresco of the Transfiguration above the high altar of the eighteenth century. In the foothills, some twenty workshops used to be boilermakers, tailors, shoemakers or notaries until the beginning of the 20th century. Only one remains open today, it now hosts the Tourist Office.
Former castle built at the beginning of the 12th century to watch over the fortifications of the city, the praetorium was completely rebuilt in the 15th century by Charles of Orleans. Prison then court at the time of the French Revolution, it also hosted a girls' school for several years. Completely renovated, it now serves as a conference room, shows, banquets or meetings.
In Baltard style, the hall dates from the end of the 19th century. Inscribed in the Historic Monuments, it hosts throughout the year events such as gourmet events, concerts or an ice rink.
Within the confines of the hospital center of Sézanne, it is possible to admire the vestiges of the convent of Recollets. Founded in the second half of the 12th century, it reveals in particular a cloister and a chapel very well preserved. The second particularly deserves the detour with his paintings of Brother Luc, a monk of the seventeenth century and a pupil of the painter Poussin.
As you walk through Sézanne, do not miss to admire the sundial of 1783 located not far from the hall. Listed in the Inventory of Communal Heritage, he unveils a Latin phrase of the poet Horace inviting to meditation. Not far from the narrow streets of the city center, it is also possible to see the remains of the ancient walls, as well as a 17th century mansion.
Cozy town, Sézanne reveals more than thirty hectares of green spaces, like its green belt of malls, ancient medieval ramparts filled in the eighteenth century and planted lime alleys and chestnut trees. Labeled Outstanding Garden, Garden Between courtyard and garden is a paradise of trees and flowers.
The market takes place on Wednesday morning, and on Saturday all day. The June sale is organized on the first weekend of this month, with the traditional flea market on Sunday. Every weekend closest to December 6, the city also offers its fair of Saint-Nicolas with rides and a braderie.
Starting June 21st for the Music Festival, Sézanne offers its Festive Soirees throughout the summer. On the program, concerts of all styles.
The Séz'Est festival is an event devoted to jazz that takes place over three days in October.
From the last Friday of November until Christmas, place to the festivities of December which begin with a release of balloons. Visit Saint Nicolas, concerts, shows, illuminations, play tracks, toy purse or even skating rink are offered to locals and visitors.
- From 22 to 23 june 2019
- Ville de Sézanne
- Oyez good people: the time of a weekend, Sézanne will make a jump in the Middle Ages and relive as in the time of Thibaud de Champagne and knight knights. - Troubadours, acrobats, craftsmen, stalls of cooking, beverages and even fights of béhourd will invest the old center of our Small Towns of Character France and plunge young and old in a true medieval atmosphere. - Saturday, June 22, from 10h to 20h - Sunday, June 23, from 10h to 18h - Free entry - Location: Mail des Cordeliers
- From 22 to 23 june 2019
- Centre ville, Sézanne
- Oyez good people: the time of a weekend, Sézanne will make a jump in the Middle Ages and relive as in the time of Thibaud de Champagne and knight knights. - Troubadours, acrobats, craftsmen, booths, beverages and even fights of béhourd will invest the old center of our small city of character
The Rose Festival of Sézanne
- From 22 to 23 june 2019
- Maison des sports, Rue des Lys
- The Rose Festival at the Maison des Sports in Sézanne on Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd June 2019, organized by the association Les Amis des Roses of the Sud-Ouest Marnais. - You can compete in all five categories: - - The most beautiful rose (tip: present it with a large stem) - - The most beautiful bouquet - - The most beautiful floral composition with roses - - Junior competition: presentation of roses on a toy - - Photo (the theme of the pink of white color is retained only for the photo contest - 2 photos max per member in the format 10x15) - Program of Saturday, June 22, 2019: - From 8h to 10h30: bringing roses, compositions and photos to the Maison des sports. - From 10h30 to 12h: passage of the jury. - From 14h to 19h: exhibition open to the public. - At 17h: award ceremony. - Program of Sunday, June 23, 2019: - From 9h to 12h & from 14h to 18h30: exhibition open to the public. - Inscriptions: House of sports Sézanne Saturday, June 22, 2019 in the morning.
La Bulle: Free Champagne Tastings
- From 22 june to 3 august 2019
- Office de Tourisme de Sézanne et sa Région, Place de la République
- The Tourist Office of Sézanne and its region offers to participate in its famous animation "the bubble": free tastings of champagne in our premises in Sézanne! - To participate, it's easy! Meet at the Tourist Office of Sézanne and its Region, Place de la République, every Saturday from 11h to 13h from 22 June to 3 August, and Sunday 21 July from 11h to 13h. Following the tastings, you can go to the champagne house where you tasted the product the same morning for a commented tour and free. - In addition, you will have the opportunity during this visit to participate in our quiz contest Quizz Special Champagne with the key to a batch of 8 bottles of champagne to win! - Do not hesitate any more and come to discover each week a house of champagne of the region of the slopes of the Sézanne. - In the program : - Saturday June 22 from 11h to 13h - champagne v & g dupont - Guided tour possible in the afternoon from 2.30 pm - 29 rue de Villevenard with reuves - Saturday June 29 from 11h to 13h - champagne marlene delong - Guided tour possible in the afternoon from 2.30 pm - 2 lane from Larry to Allemant - Saturday, July 6 from 11h to 13h - champagne breton & bernard doyard - Guided tour possible in the afternoon from 2.30 pm - 7 rue de la Tuilerie in vindey - Saturday July 13 from 11h to 13h - champagne daniel collin - Guided tour possible in the afternoon from 2.30 pm - 3 rue Caye à baye - Saturday, July 20th from 11am to 1pm - yves jacope champagne - Guided tour possible in the afternoon from 2.30 pm - 4 courtyard of the Château à broyes - Sunday, July 21st from 11am to 1pm - champagne lysiane moncourant - Guided tour possible in the afternoon from 2.30 pm - 6 Hameau de Voizy in villevenard - Saturday, July 27 from 11h to 13h - champagne stone pinard - Guided tour possible in the afternoon from 2.30pm - 29 rue Gaston Laplatte in sezanne - Saturday, August 3 from 11h to 13h - champagne joseph kid - Guided tour possible in the afternoon from 2.30 pm - 1 rue du Colombier in congy - Do not hesitate to contact us on +33 3 26 80 54 13 or [email protected] for more information. - ** Alcohol abuse is dangerous for your health, consume with moderation.
Release of Lanterns from Reconciliations UNESCO Champagne
- On 28 june 2019
- Dans les rues de Sézanne
- Letting go of lanterns, manifestation Champagne of the Stay of Reconciliations bringing together houses and cellars of the region. Anniversary evening of the classification of Champagne as World Heritage of Humanity, event labeled unesco. - See you at the fountain of Vé de Sézanne. - For more information, visit http://www.sejourdesreconciliations.fr - Contact: Mr Vincent leglantier, association AP2C, +33 6 80 02 20 83
- From 29 june to 10 august 2019
- Centre ville, Place de la République
- Throughout the summer, every Saturday evening, under the plane trees of the Place de la République, the City will offer you a motionless journey, full of surprises and rhythms, an enchanted journey, a journey in songs and music.
Dance Gala of Sézanne
- On 29 june 2019
- Maison des Sports, rue des Lys
- Sézanne dance gala at 8:30 pm, by the Amicadanse association - Annual Broadway-themed Gala - Pay entrance - Contact: Association Amicadanse, +33 6 33 59 99 05
Grand Rally of European Brotherhoods of Winegrowers
- On 6 july 2019
- 29 bis rue d'Epernay, Champagne Maurice Dugay
- Grand Rally of the European Brotherhoods of Winegrowers in Sézanne, capital of Gastronomy and Folklore, under the high patronage of the Ministry of Agriculture, the Secretary of State for Tourism and the French Institute of Gastronomy. - In the program : - from 10h to 11h- parade in town in partnership with Sézanne Rétro Mobile - Around 11:30 - inductions under the Halle de Sézanne followed by a gourmet Champagne and dancing lunch (at 29 bis rue d'Epernay - Sézanne). - Registration deadline: June 15th. - Attention limited number of places - Lunch: 50 € per person, on reservation only.
Marty Music Show
- On 6 july 2019
- Place de la République
- In a festive atmosphere and conviviality, Marty Music Show invites you to a journey through different styles: gypsy sounds, Latin, Balkan South American traditions, through the French song tinged with rock, which juggles between the presence stage of Jacques Brel, the texts of Renaud and the energy of Louise Attaque... - Fall under the Halle in case of bad weather.
Sézanne Retro Mobile
- On 7 july 2019
- Place du Champ Benoist
- Sunday, July 7, 2019 - Place Champs Benoist in Sezanne. - 22nd Promenade des Coteaux Sézannais. - Rally of old vehicles, exhibition of vehicles, animations all the day, restoration and refreshment room. - Departure from 8h30 to 10h, return at 12h. - srm-sezanne. Over-blog. Fr - Information: [email protected]