Situated in the heart of the Vienne valley, on the Way of St James (Santiago de Compostela pilgrim route), Saint-Léonard-de-Noblat is a charming medieval town, which has preserved a rich architectural heritage. Walking through the squares and narrow streets, visitors will discover beautiful old houses and a magnificent 11th- and 12th-century Romanesque collegiate church topped by a remarkable bell tower.
Below the town, the banks of the Vienne River are very picturesque. The typical houses along the water and the old 13th-century bridge make a beautiful setting.
Medieval city of Haute-Vienne, in the region Nova Aquitaine, Saint-Léonard-de-Noblat takes place in the heart of the Vienne Valley, twenty kilometers from Limoges. Located on the road to Saint Jacques de Compostela, it also is not far from Royères, Eybouleuf and Lake Vassivière.
The one that developed from the Gallo-Roman, as evidenced by the remains found on site, before experiencing a real boom in the Middle Ages. Known for his pilgrimage to Saint Leonard, buried on the spot, the town also owes its reputation to its craft turned to porcelain, leather or food, including the famous marzipan St. Leonard.
Today Saint-Léonard-de-Noblat continues to attract passing visitors with its architectural, cultural and historical, but also its unique natural setting.
Built between the eleventh and the twelfth century, the St. Leonard's College is certainly the architectural jewel of the city. Declared World Heritage by UNESCO under the roads of Saint Jacques de Compostela, she also has a ranking Historical Monument. Many times altered over the centuries, the building reveals a style mainly novel, notably in its transept and octagonal lantern tower with eight windows. The bell tower, meanwhile, is a fine example of Limousin bell tower, resting on an open porch on two sides and decorated with capitals. More recently, the western portal is inspired rather Gothic. Inside the church, it is possible to discover the tomb of St. Leonard. He overcame his prisoner chain, which according to legend, helps women find a husband or procreate. Do not miss the stalls, treasure or a beautiful alabaster altarpiece English.
Strolling through the narrow streets of the old center, you can enjoy the preserved medieval architecture across many buildings, like the bridge Noblat thirteenth century or the old hospital of pilgrims reveals the doors of the thirteenth, fourteenth and seventeenth centuries.
Be sure not to admire the round and square towers on the Republic Square, the home of the Consuls, the former priory of Artige or former Templar house located in the village of Mortessagne.
The convent girls of Our Lady, a former convent of the seventeenth century, now houses the Gay-Lussac museum dedicated to the famous French chemist from the city and known for his studies on the properties of gases.
Two other museums very interesting also take place on the territory of Saint-Léonard de Noblat, the Historail on the history of railway including collections of objects offered by SNCF and miniature train networks, and Moulin du Got, on papermaking.
The weekly market is held every Saturday morning. A market Producers with entertainment also takes place in July and August, every other Thursday.
The feast of Saint-Martial is held every first weekend of July as Noblat Bridge neighborhood including fireworks, climbing the mountain Clovis or the coronation of King.
In mid-August, the town offers its famous agricultural show highlighting the limousine meat. They are held in parallel Medieval known for their entertainment for all ages.
Celebrated since the seventeenth century, the celebration of the famous Quintain passing Prince de Conde in the city. The program of the celebrations taking place in mid-November, a large mass at the collegiate, pageants or a jousting.
Exhibition "From the Paths of Compostela to the European Cultural Route" at the Staircase
- From 1 to 30 september 2021
- 3, Rue Saint-Léonard
- Appointment at opening hours at Staircase 3, place Gay Lussac. Free entry. Rens. +33 5 19 09 00 30 or email@example.com
XVIIIth Biennale of Contemporary Imagination
- From 18 september to 10 october 2021
- 1, Rue Jean Giraudoux
- Appointment at the party room from Monday to Sunday from 10am to 7pm. Rens. : +33 5 55 56 01 93
- From 18 september to 16 october 2021
- 7, Chemin du Ganet
- Appointment from September 18 to October 16 in the city center. Rens +33 5 55 56 25 06 or +33 5 55 56 92 07
Concert With " El " at the Staircase
- On 23 september 2021
- 3, Rue Saint-Léonard
- Appointment from 19h to 22h at the Stairs. Reservation recommended and sanitary pass controlled. Rens : +33 5 19 09 00 30 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fairytale Festival in Haute-Vienne "Perfume of Muddles"
- On 24 september 2021
- 12, Rue Daniel Lamazière
- Appointment at 18: 30 in front of the Free library. The sanitary pass will be mandatory to access the shows. Wearing a mask may also be required. These guidelines will evolve according to the health context. Booking strongly recommended. Rens. / Resa +33 5 55 56 76 87
Hiking With Miaulétous Hiking in Saint-Léonard de Noblat
- On 26 september 2021
- 11, Place du Champ de Mars
- Appointment from 14h to 17h30 in front of the Tourist Office (Place du Champ de Mars). A shuttle will be available for the return to Saint-Léonard de Noblat. Free. Reservation desirable. Rens. / Resa. : +33 6 67 99 67 82 or email@example.com
Heritage Day-Discovery of the City by the Model of Saint-Léonard
- On 29 september 2021
- 3 Place Gay Lussac, l'Escalier
- Appointment at 15h at the Stairs, Place Gay Lussac. Free. Rens. +33 5 55 56 54 88 or +33 5 55 56 25 06
Architecture Month 2021: Architecture Workshop For Children
- On 29 september 2021
- 6, Boulevard Henri Barbusse
- Appointment from 14h to 16h at the Tool in hand, Boulevard Barbusse. Free. Reservation required. Rens. / Resa. : +33 6 81 08 27 00