This Small Town of Character in Finistère, overlooking the Goyen and built on a promontory, has pretty cobbled streets lined with old houses, a reminder of its medieval past.
This charming environment, enhanced by its unique light, has inspired painters and other artists. Today, there are many craftspeople, painters and antique dealers in Pont-Croix, from Grand Rue Chère to Place de la République.
There is an interpretation circuit for exploring the town centre. A nobleman's house back in the 16th century, the Marquisat house is now home to a Heritage Museum full of furniture, costumes and tools. Its attractions include a recreation of a bistro and grocer's store, a Breton room, a bedroom from 1900 and a stable.
Built from the 13th century onwards, the Collegiate Church of Our Lady of Roscudon has served as a model for many religious buildings. Remarkable for its pillars with thin, small columns, magnificent stained glass windows and many altarpieces, the church has a superb carved porch on the south side, adorned with roses.
Pont-Croix is a commune in the Finistère in Brittany. It lies on the road to the Pointe du Raz, near Douarnenez, another tourist town surroundings. The Breton town sits on a sloping plateau overlooking an estuary and gives stunning views of the Atlantic coastline.
This town of about 1600 people present since ancient times a great historical interest today with many buildings and monuments testifying to its glorious past. Prized for its calm and gentle way of life, Pont-Croix offers tourists the opportunity to experience a typical Breton architecture and learn this separate culture.
Old, the town of Pont-Croix is not less turned towards modernity, offering many leisure facilities or accommodation. Difficult to resist this city rocked by the ocean...
The village of Pont-Croix has a beautiful architectural and historical heritage, with a typical Breton style.
Worthy of the beauty of a cathedral, Notre-Dame-de-Roscudon is the essential site of Pont-Croix. It has a late Romanesque and Gothic and was built between the thirteenth and fifteenth centuries. Its spire, 67 meters high, and its south gate is the purest example of what was later called the style of the School of Pont-Croix. Inside, you can admire an altarpiece of the sixteenth century, a supper in high relief of Flemish style, or a pulpit and a baptistery, all classified historical monument as an object.
Nearby, visitors can admire the Saint-Vincent chapel, built in the early twentieth century. It differs from the Church of Our Lady of Roscudon by its neo-Romanesque and neo-Gothic.
Today museum of life Cape Sizun, home of Marquisat dates from the sixteenth century. This is an old noble house which has very interesting collections on the traditions and history of the region near.
In the village of Pont-Croix, walking the cobblestone streets, one can enjoy beautiful old town houses dating back to some of the early fifteenth century. The fountain Notre Dame Roscudon or former minor seminary Saint Vincent also attract the attention of visitors.
The village of Pont-Croix is causing various events showcasing the Breton culture and giving the opportunity to enjoy rousing festivities.
The Pont-Croix market is held every Thursday in the city center. An Advent market is held in December. Periodically, the town offers fleas and flea markets for bargains.
Every two years, in odd years, Pont-Croix offers its medieval festival. In early July, residents and visiting tourists can enjoy the many activities offered as costumed parades or shows.
The Mouezh ar Gelted festival is held annually the first weekend of August. Dedicated to the Breton and Celtic culture, it is the theater fest noz, concerts, fairs or shows and other exhibitions.
In October, up to the book fair of Pont-Croix. The village welcomes book lovers, writers, publishers and other actors of the book world for a friendly meeting.
Exposure Pictorial Works "Expressions"
- From 2 july to 30 august 2019
- 22 Rue de Rosmadec, Galerie Art Vital'Ys,
- Exhibition of Elodie Massart, colorful works and impressionist style, evocations of deep feelings, other presentation of collectibles and souvenirs to offer or acquire for pleasure and decoration.
5th Festival of Chamber Music of Pont-Croix
- From 12 to 20 july 2019
- Église collégiale Notre-Dame de Roscudon
- For 10 days and 6 concerts, it's all the small city of character that buzzes and pulsates with the passionate accents of musicians in residence at the Singer Polignac Foundation. Come discover these young talents, winners of many international competitions, who are already committed to promising careers. Ticketing from June 17th.
Exhibition: Turned Wood and Watercolors
- From 1 to 31 august 2019
- 2 place de la République, L'Atelier d'Images,
- Exhibitions of the watercolors of Malène Leloup and the woods of Pascal Courmarcel, Atelier Kerouer.
Barter and chips of the Festival Committee of Pont-Croix
- On 4 august 2019
- Espace culturel Bolloré,, Place du 8 Mai 1945
- Snacks on site (pancakes, fries, sausage).
Mouezh Ar Gelted Festival - Old Fair - Concert & Fest noz
- From 7 to 8 august 2019
- Rue Jean Louis le Goff, espace culturel Louis Bolloré,
- Wednesday 7: Concert by Dan Ar Braz & Clarisse Lavanant at 8:30 pm - Thursday 8: Parade at 10:30, country meal at 12:30, exhibitions old trades, tractors, cars, mini-farm, old-fashioned hype. In the evening, fest noz with the Morvan brothers, Skolvan, Imperial Krampouz Social Club.
- On 14 august 2019
- Rue du Quai, quai de Pennanguer,
- Grilled Pig - fest noz with Guillou / Hemon, Lavigne / Ledirollou, Forzh Penaos, the circle and bagad Ar Vro Vigouden Uhel.
Pardon of Our Lady of Roscudon
- On 15 august 2019
- Place de l'Église
- Mass at 10:30, Marian vigil at 8:30 pm.
4th Edition of the Artisans and Creators Market
- On 8 september 2019
- Espace Culturel Louis Bolloré,, Place du 8 Mai 1945, intérieur & extérieur,
- Organized by Club-Photo In the Image of Cap-Sizun. Painting, ceramics, photography, sewing, weaving, sculpture,... Restoration on the spot.
Medieval Festival of Pont-Croix
- On 8 september 2019
- 1 Rue du Finistère, Archéosite de Lanéon
- Organized by Pont-Croix 1358.