Nestling along the River Miosson, the ancient Benedictine abbey of Nouaillé-Maupertuis, established in the 7th century and fortified in the 15th century, exudes charm. With its church, its convent buildings, its surrounding wall, its towers and its moats, the abbey forms a beautiful group of buildings...
|Address||34 Rue de l'Abbaye, Nouaillé-Maupertuis|
The Saint-Junien (XI-XII-XVII centuries) church
Although older foundation, the present church dates from the 11th century, and is in a phase of Romanesque reconstruction. At this time, the north wall acts as main façade, reflects today the original arrangement, with arches and an access located up to the third bay portal.
In the 1130s, this church is originally framed arched broken barrel, and then requires some adjustments: sharing the interior into three parts with the establishment of large arches separating the nave of two aisles, adding massive buttresses outside, from the order to break the previous setting.
Late twelfth and early thirteenth, the abbey is a full tower bell tower, built at the west end of the nave. Overcoming the entrance, a large bay Gothic style reflects, as the sacristy near the choir, the restoration and beautification of Abbot Raoul du Fou, between 1468 and 1511 portal.
The novel bedside, destroyed during the Wars of Religion, is completely rebuilt in the late 17th century on the model of a large choir flat classic bedside. Most of the furniture (all stalls, rood screen with twisted columns) and sculptures dating from the same period.