Listed among the most beautiful villages of France and a stopping point on the Way of St. James, the hilltop village of Lauzerte overlooks the valleys and hills of Quercy Blanc. Known as the Toledo of Quercy, this mediaeval fortified town, founded in 1241 by the Count of Toulouse, contains a superb rectangular square surrounded by old stone and timber-framed houses. At one end of the square, a surprising work of art - the raised corner - provides a very original touch! Next door, the Church of St. Bartholomew is worth a visit for its splendid baroque altarpiece in golden wood.
After exploring the streets around the Town Hall and Police Station, both dotted with pretty houses, head for the barbican and its vast panoramic views of the rolling landscape of Quercy Blanc. Not far from there is a remarkable listed garden - the Pilgrim's Garden - has the particularity of being shaped like a life-sized board game telling you the story of the Way of St. James pilgrim route. Pick up a set of dice and a leaflet from Lauzerte Tourist Office!