Fréjus still has a great many monuments from its past. Indeed, with 2,000 years of history behind it, this Town of Art and History in Var is steeped in historical and architectural heritage.
The Roman ruins are the oldest traces of its past and consist of an amphitheatre, a theatre and an aqueduct of which some pillars and arches remain. Dating from the end of the 1st century, the arena had room for nearly 12,000 spectators who came to watch the gladiatorial fights!
In the old town, Fréjus' group of episcopal buildings, erected between the 5th and 16th centuries, is also part of this remarkable heritage. It includes the beautiful Cathedral of St. Leontius, with its Romanesque bell tower and two naves interconnected by several archways. There is also the octagonal baptistery dating from the 5th century, one of the oldest in France, the former episcopal palace which is now the town hall, and the Romanesque cloister, whose wooden ceiling is decorated with real and imaginary characters and animals. The archaeological museum next to the cloister houses remarkable antique carvings found during excavations in the Roman town.
Also be sure to visit the Chapel of Our Lady of Jerusalem, designed by Jean Cocteau and dedicated to the Knights of the Holy Sepulchre.
The marina, Port-Fréjus, and the sandy beach of Fréjus-Plage make this town in Var a much sought-after seaside resort. The Aqualand water park and the zoo, home to a hundred or so animal species from the five continents, will appeal to children and adults alike.
The remains of the Malpasset dam, which you can reach by hiking, show the devastation of the 1959 tragedy in which a wave nearly 40 metres high destroyed everything in its path, claiming more than 400 victims.
"Fréjus, the Mediterranean"...
At the heart of a single Gulf and protected, Fréjus offer all year a special environment and unique of rest and relaxation activities, "short cuts" as the Route of scents and perfumes, biking tours on foot or on horseback among the thick forests, like the Esterel polychrome landscapes.
All nautical pleasures to share Fréjus (bathing in sea water, fishing, coastal shipping in the coves, scuba diving, water skiing, surfing windsurfing, kayaking, kitesurfing, sailing...), without forgetting the Provencal getaways, walks in the picturesque narrow streets, gourmet routes (truffle, honey, olive oil, wine "and Castles of Fréjus" AOC Fréjus).
Fréjus was the first naval base in the Mediterranean Roman, a thriving city full of emotions and stories.
Today is a city of art and culture, a varied holiday destination, pleasant, subtle you'll discover.
Many local festivals such as the feast of bravado on the third Sunday after Easter, are proposed to Fréjus.
Fréjus, labeled "City of Art and History", has an ancient heritage, Roman and medieval, which is a prestigious setting. Amphitheater, aqueduct, Roman theater, archaeological museum, Cocteau chapel. The episcopal city includes the cloister, the baptistery, the cathedral, and is inscribed on the "Route des Hauts Lieux du Var".
Discover the heritage of Fréjus, in the company of a guide speaker, information at the Tourist Office at +33 4 94 51 83 83.
The Circuit des Métiers d'Art at Fréjus revives a tradition that went extinct in the 18th century and that had its origin in the pottery shops located inside the ancient city itself. Member of the network "City and Crafts of Art", the City of Fréjus strives to promote the installation of workshops of artists present throughout the year and invites, during this circuit, to a discovery of secular gestures but constantly renewed.
Throughout the year, Fréjus offers events and events.
- January: Short Film Festival - Historical Center.
- Mars: Trophy Port Fréjus - Port Fréjus.
- April: Feast of Plants - Villa Aurelian Park.
- May: Nautism Festival - Port Fréjus.
- June: Storytelling Festival - Historical Center and Port Fréjus.
- July and August: Auréliennes Nights Theater Festival - Théâtre Romain Philippe Léotard.
- August: The echo of the sperm whale - Port Fréjus.
- August: Feast of grapes - Historical Center.
- October: Roc d'Azur - François Léotard Nature Base. Starting from Fréjus, the Roc d'Azur marathon is one of the legendary mountain bike races. Hard, technical and beautiful in the heart of the Massif des Maures. Organized at the beginning of October, its course can nevertheless be realized all the year (the layout is slightly different each year).
- November: International Air Festival - François Léotard Nature Base.
- December: The Enchanted Forest - Historic Center.
Fréjus-Plage Night Market
- From 1 july to 31 august 2021
- Boulevard d'Alger de la Libération
- Fréjus-Plage Night market