Located in Bouches-du-Rhône, in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region, the commune of Cassis is one of the most popular tourist sites in this part of southern France. It takes place on the coasts of the Mediterranean Sea, only fifteen kilometers from Marseille.
Populated since 600 BC, Cassis was already a village of importance in the Gallo-Roman era. Attached to the County of Provence in the 15th century, the Mediterranean city developed mainly during the 18th century, especially around its port. The economic activities are diversified, and Cassis becomes world famous for its olive oil, its wines, its stone or its work of the coral.
Today, the Provençal city is mainly orientated towards tourism, through its exceptional natural heritage and its many monuments to discover during a stay on site. Lovers of gastronomy will be seduced by the local specialties, and more particularly by the wine of Cassis. Enjoying an AOC, they are available in white or rosé to accompany aperitifs on the terrace.
The calanques, which Cassis shares with Marseille, are surely the most beautiful tourist site of the commune. They stretch over twenty kilometers on the shores of the Mediterranean Sea, and have been classified in National Park for several years. Accessible in height on the ground to admire the sea view, they can also be enjoyed by the sea, with boat trips organized by many tourism specialists of the region. Hiking is possible, the site is notably crossed by the GR 51 which crosses the creeks from east to west. For the more athletic, climbing sites have also been developed. You will find several coves all along the site to bathe in peace. Note that some beaches are reserved for naturists.
As you walk through Cassis, you will enjoy the charm of the Notre-Dame-du-Bon-Voyage chapel, as well as the marina. A popular place for locals and tourists alike, it is an opportunity to enjoy the view of the sea, while enjoying an aperitif on a sunny terrace. A castle, medieval vestige, is also present on the commune. A commonplace oven can also be visited at certain times of the year.
If you want to learn more about the history of the city and its surroundings, head to the Museum of Art and Popular Traditions. You will discover thematic collections on archeology, fine arts and ethnography. Conferences and exhibitions are regularly organized.
Very beautiful mansion of the early seventeenth century, the town hall of Cassis does not lack charm and deserves to be admired. Very lively, the casino Cassis is the opportunity to practice slot machines and to discover quality entertainment.
The beaches are numerous in Cassis and in its surroundings. Do not forget to take advantage of Corton, Grande Mer, Anse de l'Arène or Bestouan. Very present, the vineyard is the occasion to do some hikes around Cassis, or to discover the best wines of the region by visiting the various cellars present on site.
The market is held on Wednesdays and Fridays morning, while the fish market is open every morning except on weekends.
In early September, the potters market is an opportunity to admire the work of local artisans. Twenty potters expose under the plane trees of the place Baragnon (in front of the town hall). All techniques are represented: glazed earthenware, sandstone, porcelain, raku, smoky earth, faience. Utility and decorative parts, jewelry, sculpture...
Between April and May, Cassis puts the book in the spotlight during its festival Printemps du Livre.
Every last weekend of June, the festival of fishermen and the sea settles in Cassis. We can attend a blessing of St. Peter at St. Michael's Church, or enjoy various animations facing the sea.
In August, the Vagabond Nights offer different cultural shows in the city.
The Cassis Wine Festival and Harvest is held every year in September. Are proposed, traditional dances, a great cavalcade, parades of teams and folk groups, or wine tastings of Cassis AOC.
The Laughter Festival features various comedy shows in November.
Christmas is a real event at Cassis, with the organization of various events focused on the Provençal tradition. It starts with the Sainte-Barbe and its market, then the city offers a Christmas concert, crèches in different places, a midnight mass, and finally the pastoral Mauret interpreted each year to trace the story of the Nativity.
Art where Provence is Illuminated: André Roubaud
- From 9 march to 8 june 2019
- Rue Xavier d'Authier
- Art where Provence lights up: André Roubaud
- From 5 april to 29 june 2019
- 22 Avenue E. Agostini
- "Gastronomy" - Gastronomy refers to both the art and the pleasure of cooking and tasting, the art of setting the table and sitting down to eat. It concerns at the same time the one who prepares the kitchen, the one who serves it and the one who consumes it. If gastronomy is generally considered the art of eating well, it also means sharing a step with others. - Exhibition prepared and presented by the Library team. - Free admission to days and opening hours to the public. - Municipal Library +33 4 42 18 36 76
Spring of the Cassis Book
- From 30 may to 2 june 2019
- Avenue Jermini
- Before Program - Cassis Book Spring Converts - Literature and Music - Literature and Cinema - Literature and Photos - Literature and Art - Around the theme: "freedom, liberty darling" - 31st edition of the Cassis Book Spring - Friday May 31 at 11:30 - Cour d'Honneur of the Cassis Town Hall - Inauguration by Danielle Milon, Mayor of Cassis - Officer of the Legion of Honor - Vice-President of the Aix-Marseille-Provence Metropolis - Vice-President of the County Council - In the presence of invited writers and many personalities. - 11h30 to 12h00: Jazz with "The Trio Tenderly" - Friday, May 31, 2019 - Camargo Foundation, Jerome Hill Amphitheater * - 14h30: Jazz with "The Trio Tenderly" - 15:00 Tahar Ben Jelloun - Insomnia - Gallimard - Serge Joncour - Wolf dog - Flammarion - 4:15 pm Régis Wargnier - The Grasset Awards of Excellence - Alexandre Jardin - Double heart - Grasset - 5:30 pm Vanessa Schneider - Your name was Maria - Grasset - Pierre Palmade - Tell my father that I'm famous - Pierre Cordier - Encounters led by Patrick Poivre d'Arvor and Marc Fourny - Free admission for all meetings - * in case of bad weather: L'Oustau Calendal - Saturday, June 1st, 2019 - Camargo Foundation, Jerome Hill Amphitheater * - 14h30: Jazz with "The Trio Tenderly" - 3:00 pm CALI - Cavalry means to escape - Seeking Midi - Arnaud Le Guern - A youth on the run - Editions du Rocher - 16h15 Pierre Ducrozet - The invention of the Corps - Actes Sud - Elizabeth Tchoungui - The day you were born a second time - Flammarion - 5:30 pm Eric Emmanuel Schmitt - Felix and the invisible source - Albin Michel - Laurent Seksik - An obedient son - Flammarion - Encounters led by Patrick Poivre d'Arvor and Marc Fourny - Free admission for all meetings - Tapas evening 'Show-cooking - 20h00 at the Roches Blanches - Disc Jockey and Saxophonist Ambience - Musical Instant 45EUR + Wine or Champagne Package - Sunday, June 2, 2019 - Camargo Foundation, Jerome Hill Amphitheater * - 2:30 pm: Jazz with "The Tzwing Trio" - 3:00 pm Jean-Jacques Annaud - A film life - Grasset - Olivier Pourriol - Easy - Michel Lafon - 4:15 pm Serge Moati - Once upon a time Israel - Fayard - 17:30 Luciano Melis - The Philosopher Tree - Press Chatelet - Rudy Ricciotti - The Exile of Beauty - Editions Textuel - Encounters led by Patrick Poivre d'Arvor and Marc Fourny - Free admission for all meetings - exposure - Vaulted Halls - Cassis Town Hall - May 30 to June 10, 2019 - Jan-Peter Tripp - "in the beginning was the verb..." - drive-in creeks - Screenings and debates at the Cassis Cultural Center - Tribute to Régis Wargnier with 2 films per night. - In the program - Thursday, May 30, 2019 - 18:00 "the straight line" - 8:00 pm "East-West" - Friday, May 31 - 18:00 "man to Man" - 8 pm "The time of confession" - A place bought, a place offered. - Information and registration at the Cultural Center of Cassis - Tel. +33 4 42 01 77 73
The Spring of the Book - Projections and Debates - 30/05
- On 30 may 2019
- 20 Avenue Du Dr E. Agostini
- Movie creeks - Screenings and debates at the Cassis Cultural Center - Tribute to Régis Wargnier with 2 films per night. - In the program - Thursday, May 30, 2019 - 18:00 "the straight line" - 8:00 pm "East-West" - A place bought, a place offered. - Information and registration at the Cultural Center of Cassis - Tel. +33 4 42 01 77 73
In Vino Musica - Bodin Estate
- On 10 july 2019
- Route De Carnoux
- In Vino Musica proposes to mix top notes and symphonic notes, sweetness of the palate and musicality. At Cassis - Domaine Bodin, it's time to enjoy a good glass of wine while listening to a concert. Jazz standards or creations, red, rosé or white wines, the music touches the heart, the flavors are intoxicating. At the keyboard, it's Jacky Terrasson, who will vibrate the jazzy sound in the heart of these summer nights.
Jazz on the Roof - Soirée 4 - Quartet by Nadine Cohen
- On 11 august 2019
- Esplanade Aristide Briand
- Between Calanques and Cap Canaille, have a drink in a jazz atmosphere and in a "cozy" setting, on a terrace overlooking the harbor and the sea. - On site, gourmet plates and Cassis wines are proposed by a cassidain restaurateur. - For the first time in Cassis, the quartet of singer Nadine Cohen with Stéphane Montdésir on piano, Jean Paul Artero on bass and Claude Malet on drums - Reservation required for the concert and the gourmet plates at the Tourist Office of Cassis or on http://www.ot-cassis.com - - Within the limit of available seats - - Tables of 4 will be shared with other guests. - - Rate 27 EUR entrance fee + gourmet plate (seat and shared table) - - Pay entrance fee: EUR 7 - Children up to 10 years old free of charge (space to be reserved via the reservations center) - Entry from 19h for people who have booked. - Beginning of the evening at 19:30. - No parking on site - The Oustau Calendal car park will not be accessible. - Recommended car parks: Gorguettes (then shuttles to the center), Mimosa, Viguerie, Villa Madie - Cancellation if adverse weather announced on the Friday preceding the evening. Complete refund.
August 15th Fireworks
- On 15 august 2019
- 8-10, Quai Jean Jacques Barthélémy
- At 22h: Fireworks