A pleasant and picturesque small town perched on the banks of the Dordogne… Come and discover the town of Bourg and the attractions that make it so charming! The citadel castle, with its horse-drawn carriage museum "Au temps des calèches", French formal gardens and terrace overlooking the lower town and surrounding landscape, the Moorish house built in the 18th and 19th centuries, the 18th-century Jurade mansion complete with bell tower, covered market and 19th-century washhouse, and the river harbour are some of the local heritage attractions you can see on your outing.
The famous Gironde cliff road runs for around ten kilometres between Bourg and Blaye. Dotted with stone houses and pretty, flower-adorned cave dwellings, this charming road also reveals wonderful views of the Gironde estuary!
Bourg is a village located on the right bank of the Dordogne, in the heart of the wine appellation of Côtes de Bourg. Located between three UNESCO heritage sites (Saint-Emilion, Blaye and Bordeaux), this city presents all walks and scenic points, and will seduce you.
Specialties are to discover and especially Fig Bourg or the Gluttony of the king, lamprey Bordeaux, the goat of the Estuary...
In terms of heritage, open your eyes! A fountain of Gallo-Roman origin, ramparts, 17th, 18th and 19th century facades, a chartreuse and its parks, a dovecote, a wash-house of 1828, a restored artesian well, a Romanesque crypt of the 12th century, medieval doors, a three-hundred-year-old tree, a remarkable hall, an art gallery...
At the museum of "The Citadel of Bourg, undergrounds and carriages" you will discover under the castle of the citadel the room of the guards (on reservation only), the underground cavalier which connected the port to the Citadel as well as the vats with oil dating from the Second World War. Visits at 10am; 11:30 14h; 15:30; 17h. Do not miss the boat! Booking is recommended.
Visit the city with thematic audioguides, interpreter guides, river trips and tastings.
For more information, contact the Tourist Office on +33 (0) 5 57 68 31 76, do not hesitate to enter this former court which is a must in the village of Bourg, with its video screens projecting images of the territory. The recent renovation of the premises combines local history and modernity. The airlock is adorned with a green wall. Inside, the beige and wine-colored paintings recall the Burgundy stone as well as the wine-growing activity. It is also a place of relaxation where you can rest, take the time to read the documentations presented... Label Tourism and Handicap.
- Throughout the year, high quality concerts organized by Bourg Arts and Wines (internationally renowned artists) in the castle of the Citadel.
- Easter Mondays: Brocante at Esconge Park.
- Every May: Open Days of the Coast of Bourg. Rally and meal.
- Throughout the year: Concerts of classical music (Bourg Art and Wine).
- Every 1st weekend of July: Celti Teuillac.
- Every 14th of July: Côtes de Bourg Trail followed by a Nocturne Gourmande. Neighborhood meal with concert.
- Every 1st Sunday of July: Brocante at the port.
- Every year, the museum of "The Citadel of Bourg, undergrounds and carriages" takes part in the Nights of Museums and European Heritage Days.
- From the 1st to the 2nd weekend of September every year: Frequently Asked Salt Quest: funfair at the port.
- Every 1st week-end of September, the odd years: "Les Medievales de l'estuaire", big popular and family festival.
- Every 2nd Sunday of September: Garage sale at the port.
CANCELED - wildlife, 9th Edition
- From 12 to 14 june 2020
- Parc de la Citadelle
- Each year, the beginnings of summer, the party in full swing in the village of Bourg, it's wildlife. We celebrate the passion eat well, party and live well. Allow you sucked by wild fever. - Nature, music and gastronomy are the watchwords that guide the festival since its inception. The citadel of Bourg, dating from the eighteenth century, is the beating heart of wildlife.
Bourg and wine Bikeboard, Electric Tricycle - Attention Event Cancellation Subject to Risk. Contact Organizer
- From 21 june to 13 september 2020
- Place de l'Eperon
- Warning event subject to risk of cancellation. Contact the organizer. - Halfway between electric bike and scooter, the "bikeboards" Emilie intrigue in the estuarine landscape. His followers, more and more, rediscovering vine and greenway fun and unusual way. - Every Sunday in summer, follow it through the streets of Bourg and the vineyards of the Cotes de Bourg for a walk along their rich history. The one-hour tour ends at the House of appellation wine for a tasting of two reds and a white wine.
Commented tour of Bourg & the tanks Troglodytiques - Attention Event Cancellation Subject to Risk. Contact Organizer
- From 1 july to 31 august 2020
- Au départ de l'Office de Tourisme, Hôtel de la Jurade
- Warning event subject to risk of cancellation. Contact the organizer. - Every Wednesday and Friday at 10h and 15h, follow the guide from the Tourist Office of Bourg classified "old town" and walk along the ramparts, discover the washhouse covered and enter one of the oil tanks built during the World War II directly into the cliffs of the city. Accessible only with a guide, you will be impressed by this immense cave cathedral made of bricks and concrete. It is unique in Gironde, and it is in Bourg! - Duration 1 hour and return to the Port of Bourg.
Commented cruise Bourg in Corniche Gironde - Attention Event Cancellation Subject to Risk. Contact Organizer
- From 1 july to 28 august 2020
- Port, Quai Jean Bart
- Warning event subject to risk of cancellation. Contact the organizer. - Discovery of estuarine shores... - Embark with the Company "Les Deux Rives" on the boat "The Clapotine" for a guided navigation from Bourg and discover the treasures and secrets of the old road of captains. Explore this picturesque road at the foot of the limestone cliffs that made the fame of Bordeaux facades. Lined squares, gardens with exotic trees and shipwrecks, the cornice full of little stories that make history.
Cruise Vigneronne Côtes de Bourg - Attention Event Cancellation Subject to Risk. Contact Organizer
- From 2 july to 27 august 2020
- Warning event subject to risk of cancellation. Contact the organizer. - Board the ship "La clapotine" (15 seats) for a guided navigation from Bourg accompanied by a wine Côtes de Bourg. Discover the treasures and secrets of the old road of captains. Explore this picturesque road at the foot of the limestone cliff while enjoying a glass of wine. Lined squares, gardens with exotic species and wrecks of ships cornice full of little stories that make history.
Bourg du Terroir Night
- On 1 august 2020
- Parc de l'Esconge
- 200 people initially to 5,000 people today, the festive and epicurean reputation of the event is well established. - Combined with young winemakers still ambitious, she hopes to pass this year a new course. This event comes fully register in the wine-tourism approach Côtes de Bourg. - After opening the Union wine bar in 2016, the creation of evenings all summer or all O Chais; The Night of the Earth just maintain the link between the growers and the public during the summer, when the events in the vineyard are rare. So you can come to feast with local producers of products (oysters, local burger, sausage, snails, cheese...). - At the tasting you will find of course the wines of young winemakers of the appellation.