A pleasant and picturesque small town perched on the banks of the Dordogne… Come and discover the town of Bourg and the attractions that make it so charming! The citadel castle, with its horse-drawn carriage museum "Au temps des calèches", French formal gardens and terrace overlooking the lower town and surrounding landscape, the Moorish house built in the 18th and 19th centuries, the 18th-century Jurade mansion complete with bell tower, covered market and 19th-century washhouse, and the river harbour are some of the local heritage attractions you can see on your outing.
The famous Gironde cliff road runs for around ten kilometres between Bourg and Blaye. Dotted with stone houses and pretty, flower-adorned cave dwellings, this charming road also reveals wonderful views of the Gironde estuary!
Bourg is a village located on the right bank of the Dordogne, in the heart of the wine appellation of Côtes de Bourg. Located between three UNESCO heritage sites (Saint-Emilion, Blaye and Bordeaux), this city presents all walks and scenic points, and will seduce you.
Specialties are to discover and especially Fig Bourg or the Gluttony of the king, lamprey Bordeaux, the goat of the Estuary...
In terms of heritage, open your eyes! A fountain of Gallo-Roman origin, ramparts, 17th, 18th and 19th century facades, a chartreuse and its parks, a dovecote, a wash-house of 1828, a restored artesian well, a Romanesque crypt of the 12th century, medieval doors, a three-hundred-year-old tree, a remarkable hall, an art gallery...
At the museum of "The Citadel of Bourg, undergrounds and carriages" you will discover under the castle of the citadel the room of the guards (on reservation only), the underground cavalier which connected the port to the Citadel as well as the vats with oil dating from the Second World War. Visits at 10am; 11:30 14h; 15:30; 17h. Do not miss the boat! Booking is recommended.
Visit the city with thematic audioguides, interpreter guides, river trips and tastings.
For more information, contact the Tourist Office on +33 (0) 5 57 68 31 76, do not hesitate to enter this former court which is a must in the village of Bourg, with its video screens projecting images of the territory. The recent renovation of the premises combines local history and modernity. The airlock is adorned with a green wall. Inside, the beige and wine-colored paintings recall the Burgundy stone as well as the wine-growing activity. It is also a place of relaxation where you can rest, take the time to read the documentations presented... Label Tourism and Handicap.
- Throughout the year, high quality concerts organized by Bourg Arts and Wines (internationally renowned artists) in the castle of the Citadel.
- Easter Mondays: Brocante at Esconge Park.
- Every May: Open Days of the Coast of Bourg. Rally and meal.
- Throughout the year: Concerts of classical music (Bourg Art and Wine).
- Every 1st weekend of July: Celti Teuillac.
- Every 14th of July: Côtes de Bourg Trail followed by a Nocturne Gourmande. Neighborhood meal with concert.
- Every 1st Sunday of July: Brocante at the port.
- Every year, the museum of "The Citadel of Bourg, undergrounds and carriages" takes part in the Nights of Museums and European Heritage Days.
- From the 1st to the 2nd weekend of September every year: Frequently Asked Salt Quest: funfair at the port.
- Every 1st week-end of September, the odd years: "Les Medievales de l'estuaire", big popular and family festival.
- Every 2nd Sunday of September: Garage sale at the port.
Exhibition in Bourg
- From 2 june to 6 july 2022
- Hôtel de la Jurade, Place de la Libération
- The Syndicat d'initiative du Bourgeais, invites you to discover the exhibition of metal sculpture by Jean-Noël Palacin "Au fer de l'eau" at the Jurade de Bourg. - His job is to search for metal parts of all kinds. - Finding a start, an idea a natural form from there his imagination begins and his child's soul resurfaces and plunges him into the dream, the fantastic. - Then he assembles all these parts, does not deform, cuts out if necessary. - Since childhood, he has always made, he has always been curious and even more so now. - He is self-taught without artistic training, his working method is to assemble pieces of iron interlocking with each other, he tries to give them an aesthetic meaning and give them a second life. - Sunday, June 12, 2022 at 12:00 pm, come and meet this artist and share the glass of friendship with him on this occasion.
Moussaillon Cruise With Presqu'ile Cruise: Wednesday and Saturday
- From 1 july to 31 august 2022
- Au Port
- Embark on board the "Hermine", a cruise ship, Dutch-built in 1962 in steel, where you will let yourself be carried on the waters of the Dordogne, from the Corniche to Gauriac, for a commented cruise of one and a half hours every Wednesday and Saturday departing from Ambes at 16h and Bourg at 16h30. Sunday departure from Ambes at 16:30 in July and August. Ideal for families. - Minimum departure 10 people, the cruise can be canceled if there are not this minimum number of participants.
Moonlight Cruise With Presqu'ile Cruise: Saturday
- From 2 july to 27 august 2022
- Au Port
- Departing from Bourg at 19h or from Ambès at 18h30, embark every Saturday aboard the l'Hermine boat and sail for 2h30 along the coast towards Blaye. - Commented cruise. - You will have the possibility, on reservation, to eat on board. - Guaranteed departure from 10 people.
Wine Cruise in Côtes de Bourg With the Company les Deux Rives: Thursday and Sunday
- From 3 july to 28 august 2022
- Au Port
- Embark on the boat "La clapotine" (15 seats) for a guided navigation from Bourg and enjoy a wine tasting of the Côtes de Bourg (a glass of red and a glass of white). Discover the treasures and secrets of the old long-distance captains' route. Discover this picturesque road at the foot of the limestone cliff while enjoying a glass of wine. Lined with tiles, gardens with exotic species and shipwrecks, the corniche is full of little stories that make history. - Guaranteed departure from 8 people for a duration of 1h15. - From the port of Bourg on Thursday at 18:30 and Sunday at 11:30 in July and August.
Cruise of the Corniche With the Company Les Deux Rives: Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday
- From 3 july to 30 august 2022
- Au Port
- Embark on the boat "La clapotine" (15 places) for a commented navigation from Bourg. Discover the treasures and secrets of the old long-distance captains' route. Discover this picturesque road at the foot of the limestone cliff while enjoying a glass of wine. Lined with tiles, gardens with exotic species and shipwrecks, the corniche is full of little stories that make history. - Guaranteed departure with a minimum of 7 people and a maximum of 15 people.
VéloVino: The Vineyard by Electric Bike
- From 6 july to 31 august 2022
- 4 Place de la Libération
- Every Wednesday at 17:30 in July and August, come and ride an electric bike around the Côtes de Bourg vineyard, in the alleys of the old village of Bourg, to discover its history before exploring the surroundings. During the guided tour, you will have the pleasure of enjoying a wine tasting of the appellation.