Capital of Picardy and city of Art and history, Amiens possesses a gem of Gothic art : the Notre-Dame cathedral. UNESCO World Heritage Site, the cathedral of Amiens is, with its 145-metre length and its 42-metre height, the biggest cathedral in France! It is also a beautifully homogenous building – explained by the fact that it was built within a century. Its magnificent facade and richly decorated portal are truly stunning and feature exceptional statuary. Inside, the 110 oak stalls in the chancel are also remarkable.
A must-see colourful show of illuminations on the cathedral's portal takes place every evening in the summer and the month of December. This is a moment when the spectator can admire the original colours, which used to decorate the facade of the Notre-Dame cathedral in the Middle Ages.
Not far from the cathedral is the Saint-Leu medieval district nicknamed "Little Venice of the North". This former tanners', weavers' and dyers' district is really charming with its small colourful houses sitting along the canals. Walkers can enjoy a beautiful view of the cathedral from Pont de la Dodane bridge. Numerous restaurant and café terraces along the water provide pleasant and relaxing places to stop.
Other places of interest in the historic centre are the shopping streets and monuments all around the cathedral, including the King's lodge (Logis du Roi), the Sagittarius house (Maison du Sagittaire), the bailiwick house (Maison du Bailliage) and the belfry.
Amiens also boasts several interesting museums: the Picardy museum is home to collections of archaeology, sacred art, painting and sculpture; the Hôtel de Berny museum contains objets d'art and antique furniture; while the Maison de Jules Verne, where the famous writer lived for 18 years, houses souvenirs, objects and documents relating to him.
The city of Art and History, formerly known as the Picardie, is located in the Hauts-de-France department of the Somme. The most populous city in the region behind Lille, it is also the first city in France in terms of inscriptions on UNESCO's World Heritage List. Amiens also benefits from an ideal geographical situation, about fifty kilometers from Arras and Beauvais, or from the bay of the Somme, world-famous tourist site.
The small northern Venice, due to its many canals, was born in antiquity, and served as the capital of the people of the Ambiens. Prosperous, Amiens experienced a new impetus in the course of the Middle Ages, of which there remain today many architectural remains. Known for its dyeing, Amiens blue, the city makes a fortune in drapery and textile, even in the course of the nineteenth century. A dynamic city, Amiens is now famous for its tourist activities.
Visitors from all over the world come to admire the most beautiful monuments of the city of Picardy inscribed on UNESCO World Heritage.
A true masterpiece of Gothic art, the Cathedral of Our Lady of Amiens is famous all over the world. The largest cathedral in France, the building is 145 meters long and culminates at 112 meters in height. Built in the 13th century, it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and listed as a Historic Monument. While the classical Gothic style is predominant here, there are however some elements of flamboyant Gothic and gothic radiating. On the western façade one can admire some beautiful 13th-century Gothic sculptures, while the interior presents real masterpieces of woodwork, especially on choir stalls, as well as original stained-glass windows. We can not fail to appreciate the beauty of the portal of the Virgin with her sculptures or the gallery of the Kings, which represents no fewer than twenty-two monarchs. The cathedral's internal pavement is so successful, mainly because of its labyrinth, which was completely restored in the 19th century. It was 234 meters long and octagonal in shape. It once had in its center the relics of Saint John the Baptist, and was an ordeal for pilgrims who wished to gather there. Every year during Christmas and summer, a free show proposes to discover the original polychromy of the cathedral through the effects of light.
Also listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Amiens belfry dates back to the 12th century and was rebuilt during the 15th century. A symbol of the city's independence, it was completely restored in the late 1980s. This white-stone building rises 52 meters high and takes place near the town hall and the halls.
House of the Illustrious, the house of Jules Verne was occupied by the famous writer and his wife from 1882 to 1900. Today restored, this mansion of the XIXth century proposes to discover more than 700 objects retracing life and the universe By Jules Verne. The ensemble has been included in the supplementary inventory of Historical Monuments.
Built by the famous architect of Le Havre, Auguste Perret, the Perret tower was built in the late 1940s and measures more than 100 meters high. Facing the north railway station, it was for a long time the tallest skyscraper in Europe. On the 19th floor, the apartment Tour Perret 360 ° allows to have an impregnable view on all the agglomeration of Amiens.
The Jules-Verne Circus was built in the 19th century in a polygonal shape, on the site of the ancient ephemeral circuses passing through the city of Amiens. Inspired by the Cirque d'hiver in Paris, the building has been awarded the National Pole of Circus and Street Arts and listed in the Historic Monuments. It houses the Circus Arlette Gruss in residence.
The Saint-Leu church was built in the 15th century and is now classified as a Historic Monument. It takes place in the medieval quarter of the same name, and presents a flamboyant Gothic style. Many other religious remains are visible in Amiens, such as the Saint-Jean-des-Prémontrés abbey of the seventeenth century, the Saint-Acheul abbey and its church or the Saint-Germain church which now serves as an exhibition place On the colorization of the cathedral or on the Saint-Germain quarter. The palace of the bishopric of the seventeenth century or the great seminary of the Lazarists, built in the eighteenth century, are also lacking interest.
Strolling through the old streets of Amiens you can admire the facade of the Sagittarius house, Renaissance style, the King's residence a 16th century residence listed in the Historic Monuments, or the vestiges of the Citadel.
The archaeological garden of Saint-Acheul reveals traces of the presence of Palaeolithic man in the region, notably thanks to a stratigraphic section classified to the Historic Monuments. A path marked with explanatory panels gives a better idea of the period studied, while pedagogical workshops are proposed at the entrance to the park.
The markets of Amiens are held every day except Mondays and Thursdays. A Christmas market takes place in December.
The festival Tendance Europe takes place in January and offers various and varied shows of emerging European artists.
The antique dealers' fair is held in February.
In March, place at the festival of the game and the imagination devoted to fun activities, as well as the chocolate and delicacies fair of Picardy.
The large embroidery, an important garage sale, is held on the last Sunday in April and the first Sunday in October.
The Leitura Furiosa festival dedicated to calligraphy and writing games is held in May.
In June, the Amiens fair, Festivities in the city, a festival of street arts, a comic strip festival and a water market that recall the traditions of the past with market gardeners 'time.
From June to September, the colorful cathedral illuminates the facades of Notre-Dame, while a Summer in Music offers concerts.
In July, Journey to the Heart of the Summer offers live performances.
The Jules Verne Challenge in August commemorates the first balloon flight, while the Liberty Ball celebrates the liberation of Amiens in 1944.
The Medieval waterside offer nautical games in September.
Festiv'art celebrates the arts in October.
The international film festival of Amiens is held in November.
Exhibition: Treasure Hunters, Archaeology and Comics
- From 29 may to 29 august 2021
- 2 Rue Puvis de Chavannes et rue Dejean
- Treasure hunters. Archaeology and comics at the Picardy Museum / May 29-August 29, 2021 - A double exhibition is being prepared, which will highlight the dialogue between archaeology and comics. Organized by the Musée de Picardie, the Association On A Marché sur La Bulle and the Louvre Museum, as part of the 25th Rendez-Vous de la Bande Dessinée d'Amiens, this project benefits from the support of the Archaeological Service of Amiens Métropole, inrap and the Regional Archaeological Service. - Story hunters. Archaeology and comics at Halle Feyssinet / 05-29 June 2021 - The back and forth proposed between present and past, scientific discoveries and artistic reveries, will not miss surprises ! The two exhibitions, like the catalogue being prepared for Editions de la Gouttière, will highlight these two fields, archaeology and comics, so important in the history and identity of the city.
Amiens for Youth: Summer activities
- From 22 june to 23 august 2021
- Place Saint-Michel
- As every year, the Mission Amiens For Youth organizes summer activities, especially in the Parc de l'évêché. - 3 workshops will take place in the park, weekly : - - Workshop Do It Yourself Pallet wood-Tuesdays - 14h/18h - - Coffee Break - - - Graff workshop-repair of benches -
Guided Tour of the Cathedral in July
- From 1 to 31 july 2021
- 23, Place Notre - Dame
- Masterful, phenomenal ! There is no shortage of superlatives to describe this unmissable monument of the Amien landscape, built in 1220. Twice listed as a UNESCO world heritage site, Notre-Dame Cathedral is intimidating. - But to visit it with a guide-lecturer is to take the risk of falling head over heels in love with it and letting yourself be touched by its indisputable charm, you will be warned ! - > Duration: 1h30
Guided Tour Amiens over Time in July
- From 1 to 31 july 2021
- 23, Place Notre-Dame
- And no, the Saint-Leu district is not the oldest in the city ! Like an investigator, unravel the true from the false and go in search of clues that testify to the roots of Amiens in the company of your guide-lecturer. From the upper city to the lower city, along the streets, you will discover the many facets that make its charm to which you can only succumb ! - Duration: 1h30
Travel to the Heart of Summer
- From 2 to 31 july 2021
- Espace Dewailly
- From 2 to 31 July, embark on a musical, gustatory and artisanal world tour thanks to the 17th edition of the festival 'Voyage au coeur de l'été' at the cloître Dewailly in Amiens. - In an exceptional place, attend a festival of sounds, dance and world music and discover new flavors from all corners of the globe thanks to the restaurateurs present. - Reservation is mandatory, for concerts and for dinner. The wearing of a mask is mandatory for any trip inside the Cloister. - Doors open at 7pm, concerts at 9.30 pm (8.30 pm if first part) - Catering from 7pm to 10pm - Spring break on Mondays and Tuesdays. - Restoration : - * From 7pm To 10pm- - Mandatory reservation of meals with the restaurateur of your choice : - * Calmos coffee (charcuterie & cheese): +33 220.127.116.11.81 - * Safa Rice (island cuisine): +33 3.60.03.21.03 - * Couscous du Cloître (Maghreb cuisine): +33 18.104.22.168.65 - * La table de Dary (traditional cuisine-world cuisine during the festival): +33 22.214.171.124.58
Exhibition: Les Puys d'Amiens, Masterpieces of Notre-Dame Cathedral
- From 3 july to 10 october 2021
- 2 Rue Puvis de Chavannes
- Organized in response to the 800th anniversary of the Cathedral of Amiens, the grand reopening exhibition of the Musée de Picardie, scheduled for 2020, has been postponed with the generous support of all lenders : more than a hundred works from French and foreign collections will indeed complement and illuminate the Puys preserved at the Musée de Picardie. Currently being installed, the scenography will offer a spectacular evocation of the cathedral, for which these incredible paintings were originally intended. A reference catalogue is in preparation, under the direction of François Séguin, curator of the exhibition.
- From 3 july to 3 august 2021
- Rue Caumartin
- "Grab your sneakers and come and play Sports ! - The Sports Department of Amiens Métropole organizes and coordinates a day of animation based on sports activities practiced by all public, at the Coliseum (swimming pools, Julien Burnay rink, isolated ice dome, foyer du dôme, gymnasium, Thédié stadium, solarium, square Henri Sené, rue Caumartin, Saturday, July 3, 2021, from 10am to 6pm. - Demonstrations intersperse the initiation practices according to a previously established program." - For further information : https://www.amiens.fr/Vivre-a-Amiens/Sport/Faites-du-Sport
A summer in Amiens at Parc Saint-Pierre
- From 5 july to 29 august 2021
- Boulevard de Beauvillé
- A summer in Amiens offers you the opportunity to entertain, relax and share a great time with your family. - This year, Parc Saint-Pierre is again turning into an entertainment park to become your favorite meeting place of the summer. - In a summer atmosphere specially created for the occasion, enjoy the many spaces for games, relaxation and catering !
Chroma Show, the Monumental Experience at the Amiens Cathedral
- From 12 july to 12 september 2021
- Place Notre-Dame
- Subject to sanitary conditions - The show "Chroma" places color as the red thread of an immersive experience at the heart of a contemporary staging. From the blue, evoking the waidiers merchants who contributed to the financing of the monument to a new animated restitution of polychromies, the culmination of this journey in time, the cathedral by turns luminous and mysterious continues to fascinate.
Guided Tour of the Cathedral in August
- From 1 to 31 august 2021
- 23, Place Notre - Dame
- Masterful, phenomenal ! There is no shortage of superlatives to describe this unmissable monument of the Amien landscape, built in 1220. Twice listed as a UNESCO world heritage site, Notre-Dame Cathedral is intimidating. - But to visit it with a guide-lecturer is to take the risk of falling head over heels in love and letting yourself be touched by its indisputable charm, you will be warned ! - > Duration: 1h30