The town of Alençon, once the seat of the Dukes of Normandy and today the capital of the Orne, has been famous for its unique lace pattern since the 17th century. It also boasts a rich architectural and cultural heritage.
Alençon's old quarter, a source of inspiration for famous French novelist Honoré de Balzac, is dotted with half-timbered houses and mansions with wrought-iron balconies, making it a lovely place to explore. Among the must-see places of interest are Notre-Dame church with its superb early 16th-century Flamboyant Gothic-style porch; the Maison d'Ozé, the Duke of Alençon's former residence, with its conservation orchard; the Château des Ducs and its machicolated towers; and the birth house of St Theresa of Lisieux and its chapel. Another leading attraction in the town is the fine art and lace museum (Musée des Beaux-Arts et de la Dentelle) housed in the old Jesuit college and home to sumptuous collections of lace and paintings.
A colourful market selling delicious produce takes place every Thursday and Saturday morning on Place de la Magdeleine at the foot of Notre-Dame church.
At the junction of the Regional Parks of Perche and Normandy-Maine, Alençon draws its features between rural neighborhood, preserved nature and urbanization. Situated at the confluence of the Sarthe and the Briante, the city has gone from simple ford to antiquity to a city of importance, prefecture of Orne, world renowned for its lace at the point of Alençon. But the story has been hectic. Bourg fortified in XIe century, Alençon knows radiant hours with Marguerite of Navarre in XVe century. The Reformation found its cradle in the city and the Catholics fled from the city. It was in 1665 that Colbert founded the royal lace factories. The legend was born. During the nineteenth century, the city turned towards industrialization and took its economic boom. It is also at this period that many famous people mark the city of their imprint. Beginning with Baudelaire having had his "Fleurs du Mal" printed at Alençon. Then Balzac will stay there to write two of his works. Finally, Alençon saw the birth of Thérèse Martin, better known as Sainte-Thérèse-de-Lisieux.
You will have a loaded program at Alençon. In the must-see, you must visit the Lace Museum of Alençon. Inspired by the Venice Point, the point of Alençon is a know-how inscribed on the representative list of the intangible cultural heritage of humanity by UNESCO. This technique requires hours of patience. It takes between 7h and 15h of work to realize a surface equivalent to a postage stamp. Emblematic figure of Alençon, Sainte-Thérèse-de-Lisieux was born in the city and her native house is visited. Another place full of history to discover absolutely, the basilica Notre-Dame of Alençon. Gothic architecture, the imposing edifice classified to the Historic Monuments throne in the city center.
Alençon has 31 classified monuments. You can choose to discover them on guided tours or take a walk through the streets of the city. Among them are the Jesuit church adjoining the college founded by the Jesuits in 1620, the Café of the Renaissance, the interior of which is truly divine and offers a setting of the second renaissance quite exceptional, A castle of the Dukes of Alençon which is actually the entrance pavilion of the castle, and the house of Ozé, a medieval residence built in 1450. To visit Alençon, you can Also opt for biking. Many courses are available. And for fun, treat yourself to a city tour by horse-drawn carriage. This type of visit is available from April 1st to September 30th.
There is no shortage of sports facilities in the city. You can, according to your desires, play a game of golf on the green of the racecourse golf course or enjoy a dip in the swimming pools of the aquatic center of Alençon. The town also has an animal center, a leisure center and a karting circuit. You will have something to distract you!
It is also possible to visit Alençon by train from 15 June to 1 September.
At the beginning of March, the Culture (s) Festival opens its doors. During a whole month, exhibitions, concerts, films, shows... in short, many cultural events combined with the feminine are proposed to you.
At the beginning of March always, the fair of Alençon Ornexpo invites itself for 6 consecutive days. You can browse different stands in areas as diverse and varied as wine, habitat and gastronomy among others.
From September to December, the market is held in Place du Point-du-Jour.
In July, the World Folkloric Festival takes place with many artists from different countries.
In June, the 24 hours of biodiversity take place. On the program, walks and discoveries in the city.
Portraits of Small Châtelets, from Yesterday to Today and Tomorrow!
- From 20 september to 15 december 2019
- 8 Avenue de Basingstoke, Archives Départementales
- The story of the Little Châtelets dates back to 1855, when the sisters of Marie Joseph Dorat based institution to host the girls minor offenders. The "shelter" opens later morally abandoned children, but also to young girls whose family circle can or will provide education and girls wishing to receive vocational training. This empowered by the state is run by the nuns, who are gradually aided by specialized educators. Religious pass the baton to the association Les Petits Châtelets in the 1990s, which became the owner of huge buildings in 2008. The social-children's home which still occupies part of the premises is now managed by the Red Cross. - The exhibition runs from Monday to Friday, from 8:30 to 17:30 and Sunday from 14h30 to 18h.
- From 16 november to 14 december 2019
- Cour Carrée de la dentelle - Médiathèque Aveline
- Bi-portrait exhibition, photographs of Mickaël Phelippeau - Dancer and choreographer, Mickael Phelippeau is also a photographer. The meeting with the other is at the heart of its approach. In its bi-portraits, the orchestra artist symbolic clothing exchange. - This photographic series documents his meeting with Violeta in 2015, a teenage girl who was living in a slum in Grigny, destroyed shortly after the art project. - adult space / Free entry
Festival Migrant'Scène 2019 4Fâmes for Women
- On 21 november 2019
- 2 avenue de Basingstoke
- Migrant'scène Festival 2019 in Orne from 7 November to 31 December - Dance performance by KLBV and Nyaga companies in Alençon - Price € 10 and € 6 students and unemployed (tickets at the Tourist Office and on site the evening of the show). - In a dirt circle recreating life, like at parties in Bamako, Mali, 4 women explore dance, singing and music; ways of expression and universal links between people - (Tickets at the Tourist Office and on site the evening of the show)
- On 21 november 2019
- 15 Rue Antoine Jullien
- Overcoming trauma, rebuild, heal: these themes will be addressed at the Forum for Equality, which takes place on 21 and 22 November 2019. - For its 4th edition, the event starts at the heart of trade concepts of resilience and restorative justice. - Resilience is post-traumatic healing: the ability to overcome the trauma experienced, to rebuild, to live with, to heal. - In parallel, the concept of restorative justice concept came from across the Atlantic which implies to establish a dialogue between perpetrators and their victims, will also be discussed. - The opportunity is given to professionals and the general public to question the springs of resilience: how to build it? Are we all equal to shocks? - In the program : - "Fleece blanket in The Cabanas' shame resilience. - Conference shrugged dramatized Leila Fréger resilience after rape - Thursday, November 21 - 20:00 - Auditorium - Free entry to availability
- On 22 november 2019
- Cours Georges Clemenceau
- Overcoming trauma, rebuild, heal: these themes will be addressed at the Forum for Equality, which takes place on 21 and 22 November 2019. - For its 4th edition, the event starts at the heart of trade concepts of resilience and restorative justice. - Resilience is post-traumatic healing: the ability to overcome the trauma experienced, to rebuild, to live with, to heal. - In parallel, the concept of restorative justice concept came from across the Atlantic which implies to establish a dialogue between perpetrators and their victims, will also be discussed. - The opportunity is given to professionals and the general public to question the springs of resilience: how to build it? Are we all equal to shocks? - In the program : - "Can we heal from trauma? "And" Restorative justice: a path to appeasement "2 round tables / debates animated by professionals followed by a synthesis and a buffet lunch buffet. - busy morning by Françoise Derenne
Country Farmers Market
- On 22 november 2019
- Place de la Halle au blé
- The season 2019 Country Farmers Markets will close have a last meeting on 22 November. - Twenty exhibitors from the region will offer their products and share their passion. Various activities are also planned: - - Culinary workshops pastry Emmanuel Barthélémy (professor at 3ifa Alençon) - - Musical entertainment by the Marching Band Alençon / Arçonnay. - - A free soup distribution by the Association of Families of Courteille - Free entry
Russian Christmas - Choir of Men Alexander Nevsky
- On 23 november 2019
- Place Marguerite de Lorraine
- Special concert in Alençon - Church Saint-Léonard - Christmas Alexander Nevsky Russian Men's Choir of St. Petersburg - Orthodox Liturgy and Christmas choirs - Traditional songs of Russian Christmas - Russian Popular Songs - Ticket sales: - Office of Alençon Tourism - Fnac / Carrefour / Giant - Sale at the entrance of the church at 20:00 on the day of the concert
Alenglaçon - The Festival of Ice
- On 23 november 2019
- Place de la Magdeleine
- Giant Igloo - Mascots - Fresco - Curling - Ice Climbing tower - Makeup ice floe - Penguins - Planet Ice - giant statues - Base Camp
Video Game of the Month
- From 23 november to 21 december 2019
- Cour Carrée de la dentelle - Médiathèque Aveline
- From November 23 to December 28 on the occasion of World Day of the Video Game, the network of media libraries offers a special month dedicated to video games. - Many events are planned: exhibition, tournament, quiz, projection, conference, workshops. Whether you're into this media or novice, you will discover or rediscover the video game in all its forms. - Video games - An interactive exhibition by Kinexpo - From November 23 to December 28 Aveline Media Free admission - Tournament games - Saturday, November 23 from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Media Aveline Registration required - Quiz games and participatory picnic - Friday, December 6 at 19:00 Media Registration required Aveline - Screening of "Ready Player One", Steven Spielberg - Friday, December 13 at 20:00 Media Aveline Free admission - "From pixels and film: how to analyze the relationship between cinema and video game? "A conference of Alexis Blanchet - Friday, December 20 at 20:00 Media Aveline Free admission - discovery workshops - Virtual reality in the video game - Saturday, November 30 from 10:00 to 12:30 and from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Media Aveline Registration required - Let's play? - Wednesday 11 and 18 December from 10:00 to 12:00 and from 1:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Media Aveline Registration required - creative workshops - Paper Toys Workshop - Wednesday, November 27 from 14:00 to 16:00 Media Registration required Aveline - Workshop pixal art - Wednesday, December 4 from 14:00 to 16:00 Media Registration required Aveline - digital workshops - a video game code - Saturday, December 7 at 14:00 Media Registration required Aveline - Make Your bookmarks - Saturday, December 21 at 14:00 Media Registration required Aveline
Associative Life Forum
- On 28 november 2019
- Cours Georges Clemenceau - Halle aux Toiles
- The Forum of associations ornaise will take place all day on November 28, 2019 from 09:30 am to 17h in the Hall of paintings in Alençon. The forum is free and open to all! - You will find throughout the day resources and helpful information for associations and volunteers, stands, workshops and conferences. - To register it here: https://framaforms.org/inscriptions-au-forum-associatif-du-28-novembre-2019-1562595298 - Program details: - 9:30 Welcome and opening of the day - 10:30 Workshops to choose from: The employer associations or function in the various sources of funding for associations - 12:00 Lunch - 1:30 p.m. Workshops choice: Engage and retain volunteers and the association project, why and how? - 3:15 p.m. Conference: development of community life through cooperation - 16:30 Close of day - An event on the ESS Month program.