Castle Montfort is located in the town of Vitrac, in the Dordogne, in southern Périgord, 7 km south of Sarlat.
Overlooking the river, built on a rocky outcrop, the fortress was mentioned as early as the 9th century.
True citadel overlooking the valley, the site is coveted by the Hundred Years War. The castle is thus razed for the first time in 1214. Rebuilt, it will again be besieged and destroyed three other times, the last time under Henry IV, at the beginning of the seventeenth century. But as if to challenge men and kings, he is reborn again.
Sold at the Revolution, the castle of Montfort then knows different owners synonymous with so much reworking. One of them, in the aftermath of the First World War, had the ruins of the cloister of the Saint-Vaast church in Bethune transported to create a singular pergola. Previously, elements from other castles had already contributed to endow the building with a singular appearance, somewhat heterogeneous style but still impressive because of the majesty of the site.
The castle of Montfort can not be visited, but its proud silhouette can mark a hike or a step in this authentic village which borders the Dordogne. Information on +33 5 53 31 45 45.