Located in the municipality of Verteuil-sur-Charente, in the Charente valley, the Verteuil castle is a building now classified as an historic monument. Built in the eleventh century on behalf of Guillaume de La Rochefoucauld, he welcomed Philip VI during a stay in the first half of the fourteenth century.
Given to the English in 1360 following the Treaty of Brétigny, the Château de Verteuil was taken over in 1385 by the Duke of Bourbon, but seriously damaged. The current building dates from the 15th century and was erected as a barony at the same time. It was here in the seventeenth century that François VI de la Rochefoucauld wrote his famous Maxims.
It stands proudly in the middle of a nineteenth-century park with a triangular fortification.