Vendays-Montalivet is a coastal town in Gironde, in the New Aquitaine region. Located in the tip of the Médoc, bordered by the ocean to the west and the mouth of the Gironde to the east, the locality is 80 km from Bordeaux and benefits from a privileged environment on the Côte d'Argent., with 12 km of beaches on the Atlantic, on the edge of the forest.
With nearly 2,500 "permanent" inhabitants (but more than 45,000 in summer!), the small town includes a town, inland, and a seaside resort, on the coast, Montalivet-les- Baths.
Vendays-Montalivet, initially surrounded by marshes which were drained, became, after the Hundred Years War, a fiefdom of the seigneury of Lesparre. Its rise took shape during the second half of the 19th century with the vogue for sea bathing facilitated by the arrival of the train.
However, economic activity is also based on the exploitation of the Landes forest.
The seaside resort developed even more after the Second World War when a helio-marine center was created which quickly became an internationally renowned naturist tourist complex.
In the town centre, a quick visit reveals the Saint-Seurin church (19th century), in the neo-Gothic style, and the town hall built in limestone.
At Montalivet-les-Bains, facing the ocean, you will discover a column supporting a Virgin of Our Lady of the Floods (1868) and nearby, a bust of the resort's founder, Jacques Laporte, which gives rise to a custom: it is traditional to go around it when staying on the coast…
But it is its natural environment that makes Vendays-Montalivet a stopover of choice for holidaymakers and tourists. On the territory, some 40 km of hiking trails and 30 km of cycle paths have been laid out: so many opportunities to enjoy the coast but also the charms of the forest (6,000 hectares!) and the last still-living marshes (the Perge and the Gua). What to apprehend a typical fauna (Canada geese, falcons...) and flora (not to mention the porcini mushrooms in autumn and for the most patient, the slab of deer...). All information on hiking trails and cycle paths on +33 5 56 09 30 12. For a guided tour of the marshes, contact +33 5 56 09 30 12; to explore them by paddle, contact +33 6 81 94 45 90.
Another way to discover the geology, history and biology of the town and its region: visit the Grange Heritage Museum (permanent display cases, projections and temporary exhibitions). Information on +33 5 56 73 32 02.
Then just enjoy the pleasures of the beach. There are five: the "north" beach, which includes a slipway for boats; the "central north" beach; the "south" beach, where the surf club is located (Montalivet is famous for its spots; for all information, call +33 6 83 52 63 74)... Still from north to south, then follow the beach of the CHM naturist center and that of from the ACM holiday club. Then, the remaining 8 km of beaches included in the municipal territory are no longer supervised but can be the subject of walks in a preserved setting...
Note of course that naturism is not allowed outside the perimeter of the center helio-marine: this includes several types of accommodation, shops and reserved play areas. The center is located on 200 hectares of pine forest and is protected by a wall. Contact on 05 33 092 092.
Other possible activities: tree climbing (Tel.: +33 5 56 09 07 88), karting (Tel.: +33 5 56 09 38 94), sand yachting (Tel.: +33 5 56 09 31 15)…
The penultimate full weekend of June, over three days, the Montalivet "show bike" brings together motorcycle enthusiasts (exhibitions, events, shows).
On the third weekend of July, the Estivales de la BD bring together around thirty authors. Meetings, dedications and workshops are on the program.
On August 15, the Fête de la Mer brings together the local public and holidaymakers (entertainment, shows, fireworks).
In a different register, for gourmets and gourmands wishing to taste the charms of the local terroir (oysters, Bordeaux wines, etc.) but also tourists wishing to learn about regional crafts, a market is scheduled every day in Montalivet (under the halls in winter), from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. It has become an institution and one of the busiest in the region. On Sunday morning, a market also takes place in the town.
CAP 33 Vendays-Montalivet
- From 8 may to 30 june 2023
- Plage Nord ou Complexe sportif
- CAP33 : for a sportive season !
Concert Kantaldi Choeur Basque
- On 3 june 2023
- Eglise de Vendays, Place de l'Église
- Concert by the Hegaldia Choir under the direction of Séverine Dervaux
Conférence De Gaulle
- On 9 june 2023
- Route de Courreau, Salle Culturelle
- De Gaulle Lecture - A vision for France, an action for France
- From 10 to 11 june 2023
- Jardin de la Cure
- Saturday : gourmet market - concerts : the Band'Aqui and Vendalivet and Swing - Fireworks - Garage sale ; Sunday : garage sale
Concert de Printemps de l'Orchestre Nord Médoc
- On 10 june 2023
- Route de Courreau, Salle Culturelle
- The Nord Médoc Orchestra, under the direction of Guy Walczak, plays : Ravel, Gerschwin, Piazzola and Glenn Miller - Refreshment bar at intermission
Exposition Onde Estivale par Pauline Beugniot
- From 14 to 30 june 2023
- 11 Place de la Mairie, Mediatheque
- Meeting with the artist on Wednesday June 14 at 3pm
- On 19 june 2023
- 11 place de la Mairie, Médiatheque
- Meeting between readers around a tea or a coffee on registration
19èmes Estivales de la BD
- From 22 to 23 july 2023
- Avenue de l'Europe, Salle des sports
- The Estivales de la BD de Vendays-Montalivet propose a comic book fair with authors, publishers, bookshops and second-hand booksellers. Aquitaine authors are always the base of the programming while opening the fair to authors from other regions of France or from some European countries (Spain, Italy and Belgium). - 25 authors, publishing houses, bookshops, exhibitions, biblio. Gironde stand, workshops, signing sessions… - This event is accessible to people with disabilities.
Course des 3 Sentiers
- On 30 july 2023
- The 3 trails race takes place in Montalivet, it is a friendly running event that offers participants several formats so that everyone finds his account and takes maximum pleasure. We offer two running formats, 6 km and 15 km, as well as a 1 km kids race. We have adapted the courses to make them pleasant and diversified. - Would you like to do some sport before a relaxing afternoon at the market or at the beach ?
Festival rue Mont'Art
- From 5 to 17 august 2023
- Avenue de l'Océan, Salle polyvalente
- Association Rue Mont'Art