Castle Vallon-Pont-d'Arc is located in the homonymous locality, south of the department of Ardeche, 50 km south-west of Montelimar by road.
Its construction began in 1630 by order of Louis XIII after the old castles of local lords were destroyed by the Protestant armies during the Wars of Religion.
Based on materials from a previous building (pebbles and stones), it consists of a rectangular main building flanked by rounded towers. The main building has two noble floors and an attic (semi floor, under the roof) with semi-windows.
Inside, a majestic 15 m high hall has a staircase that has been classified, decorated with a wrought iron banister beautifully crafted.
The castle is owned by the municipality since 1847. It housed schools, housing and is now the town hall of the town.
In the current wedding hall (company lounge originally), seven Aubusson tapestries from the seventeenth century were discovered when the castle was acquired. They had been kept rolled and stored in an attic. Their restoration was carried out in the 1950s at the Manufacture des Gobelins in Paris.
These tapestries were part of an original set of 70 pieces.
Those who are now installed and exhibited at the castle of Vallon-Pont-d'Arc evoke for six of them episodes of a poem recounting the First Crusade, "The Delivered Jerusalem", the seventh figure a grafting lesson. All of them are flamboyantly colored and decorated with refined borders, these tapestries are a true artistic treasure.
Apart from special ceremonies, tapestries are subject to free guided tours by reservation. Information on +33 4 75 88 02 06.