North of the department of Vienne, on the borders of Poitou, Touraine and Anjou, the village of Ternay existed since the dawn of time. Remains: menhir tumulus, tools, pottery ... dated since the Gauls were found on his land. The Merovingians to the fifth and sixth centuries lived there and protected themselves in caves dug into the limestone. River Dive along the joint on the west by peat bogs and swamps, formed an efficient border. A medieval fortress, built on top of the plateau overlooking the plains would have been destroyed during the Hundred Years War and replaced in the course of the 15th century by the present castle.
According to records, in the year 1458, the village was an important Ternay town of about 600 people but was seen as the castle and the church was still a troglodyte village. The first fortified farms are built in during the 16th century.
Aubues lands, strongly calcareous, facilitate the cultivation of cereals, melons and sunflowers. It is also an ideal place for wine (wine appellation Saumur very famous), and the truffle Tuber melanosporum, which were abandoned in the twentieth century, regain of interest, some individuals are trying to control production.