Located in the heart of Strasbourg, the botanical garden of Louis Pasteur University was founded in the early seventeenth century in the former Protestant Academy of the city. It is then the work of professors of the faculty of medicine who wanted to improve the training of their students.
Originally installed in the district of Krutenau, the botanical garden of the University Louis Pasteur moved in the Neustadt, in the heart of the historic campus, in 1884, following the annexation of Alsace-Lorraine. Second oldest of France behind that of Montpellier, it reveals in its center the astronomical observatory of Strasbourg, a piece of water, or a superb sundial restored in the middle of the 1990s. In sandstone of the Vosges, it is consists of a gnomonic block and a base.
Installed on more than three hectares of land, the site reveals 6,000 species of associated plants according to their botanical family. The greenhouse of Bary, with its twelve sides, is today one of the only vestiges of the old greenhouses designed by Hermann Eggert today destroyed. A tropical greenhouse, a cold greenhouse and a greenhouse of succulents built in the nineteenth century complete the architecture of this garden.