Soultzmatt - Wintzfelden is a municipality in the canton of Rouffach, in the district of Guebwiller. It has about 2400 inhabitants and is situated at an altitude of 280 meters above sea level, 22 km from Colmar and 31 km from Mulhouse, on the edge of the plain of Alsace and the Vosges. Soultzmatt - Wintzfelden is part of the Community of Municipalities of the Guebwiller Region. This area is labeled Cities and Countries of Art and History since 2005. Since 2006, Soultzmatt - Wintzfelden is one of the award-winning 223 municipalities of France " 4 flowers ".
- History and heritage
- Guardian of the Noble Valley, so named because of the presence in the 16th century, some sixty noble families, mainly those of vassals of the bishops of Strasbourg, Soultzmatt - Wintzfelden preserves beautiful remains of this flourishing time seven castles stood in the valley. The town 's coat of arms " of gold sand rooster, crested, bearded and Gules hung from a mount of three mounts Vert ". This emblem was awarded to him by Louis XIV, the " Sun King " in 1699.
- Past and future combine it with respect for tradition and unveil the walker architectural treasures dating from the 16th and 17th centuries : Renaissance corner windows, carved lintels, doorways, stone door frames decorated with coats of arms... other treasures to be discovered, such as the water museum, housed in the historic heart of the " Baths Soultzmatt." The old buildings have been restored to make this site the charm and character of the institutions of the past, to the time when the town was known as the "Little Paris".
- On the southern heights of Wintzfelden, there are still the foundation of Schwartzenthann Convent. It is in this remote area of the world that in 1154, the "Codex Guta - Sintram " famous document in Alsace for the beauty of its Romanesque illuminations will be handwritten by the canoness Schwartzenthann, Guta, and illuminated by Canon Sintram Marbach.
- Soultzmatt - Wintzfelden is twinned since 1965 with Talheim Germany, and since 1985 with St. Porchaire in Charente -Maritime. It has numerous and illustrious honorary citizens, including the ambassador of Namibia to France Panduleni Shingenge, actor and director Francis Perrin, actress Sophie Marceau, singer Julie Pietri, director Andrew Zulawski, double Tour de France winner Bernard Thevenet, Count Carlos Coll, cousin of the King of Spain, Geneviève de Fontenay, former president of the Miss France committee, Laetitia Bleger, Miss France 2004 Delphine Wespiser, Miss France 2012.
- The village also benefits from a hot, arid microclimate conducive to the development of a fauna and flora southern type. Dry grasslands of the top of Zinnkoepflé are classified Natura 2000 and the delight of botanists who can find rare and sensitive species such as the green lizard, bird butterfly, wryneck, pulsatile anemone, wild orchid and fossilized lily.
- Direct access to the south of the RN 83 Rouffach, great way to pass north / south. The nearest train station is 5 km, in the town of Rouffach. A regular line also provides daily service to Colmar and Guebwiller.
- The EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse- Freiburg serving the area is 60 km away.