Sillé-le-Guillaume is a small town in Sarthe, in Pays de la Loire region, 35 km north-west of Le Mans, on the borders of Mayenne and Normandy.
Former stage of the pilgrimage to Mont Saint-Michel, Sillé-le-Guillaume developed as a strategic point and two fortresses were erected there, an oppidum then a fortress, in the 11th century, transformed into a castle in the 15th.
Held by Guillaume de Sillé and his descendants, barons who served the Count of Maine to resist the assaults of the Bretons and Normans, the city also became a commercial crossroads and its agricultural fairs made its reputation in the nineteenth century.
Now with its own activities, Sillé-le-Guillaume (about 2,500 inhabitants) has preserved an authentic town center while enhancing its state forest of more than 3,000 hectares and a lake of 35 hectares suitable for swimming and water activities. A tourist and leisure base is located there, called Sillé-Plage. With the historical center of the city, this makes the city a popular destination, labeled Green Station.
A stay at Sillé-le-Guillaume can begin with the discovery of its historical heritage including many listed buildings.
The castle that dominates the city was built in the late fifteenth century on the remains of a fortress partially destroyed after the Hundred Years War.
The shape of a quadrangle flanked by towers at the corners, it has a dungeon that was never used, however, because of the evolution of military technology. In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, nature wings were added more residential. The whole remains very impressive and reflects the evolution of the military art. Open all year for groups and in July and August for individual visits. Wednesday, dramatized visit to families. Entrance: from 2 to 5 euros. Information at +33 2 43 14 23 43.
We will not forget, at Sillé-Beach, to focus on the remains of the first fortress of Carolingian era (dating from before the year one thousand). This castle old (referred to in the region "oppidum") was abandoned after the Breton and Norman invasions. The ruins are a rare example of what was then the military architecture.
Back in the village, a visit is the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, former collegiate Romanesque near the castle. Built in the eleventh century, but was rebuilt many times. At the level of the older parts, a distinction that the twelve apostles are represented on the vaults. A scene of the Last Judgment was also preserved. More contemporary, the windows of the nineteenth and twentieth century are remarkable, such as that contained Baroness Jeanne-Marie de Maille, now classified. As for the furniture of the church, it is also contemporary with the exception of the sixteenth century stalls. To understand all the riches of the site, brochures are available at the entrance.
Note that thematic tours are offered to fully appreciate the historical heart of the city. Walks "floating head" in order not to miss anything of carved faces, skylights and windows of the houses of the fifteenth century, and quaint architectural details that mark the old districts, and guided tours to better understand what were housing and daily life once. Information at +33 6 83 37 06 49.
It is then time to head Sillé-Beach across the large forest formerly exploited to provide the charcoal needed for the metallurgical activity.
The entire site can be discovered by a tourist train service on weekends and bank holidays from April to September and daily in July and August. Information +33 6 63 18 45 68.
At the beach itself, bathing is not supervised in July and August. A path was laid for wheelchairs and a special chair is available for disabled people wanting to swim.
For sailing, canoeing or paddle, contact the sailing center at +33 2 43 23 21 77. Initiation possible, and boat rentals.
A mountain bike base is located nearby. A dozen marked trails are arranged to cross the lake and through the forest. Information at +33 6 67 44 36 38.
The archery and rock climbing are also among the possible activities on the basis, as tennis (bring own equipment and book short +33 2 43 20 11 04), while a pony carousel awaits children (inquire +33 6 85 40 48 65).
Finally, for lovers of fishing, the big lake as the adjacent ponds are ideal sites. Inquire about suitable places and regulation at +33 2 43 20 10 32.
For hikers (on foot, mountain bike or horseback), Sillé-le-Guillaume (city side or the forest and beach) as moult nearby area offers tours and thematic trails to enjoy a green environment, the remarkable biodiversity and rich in small Heritage... maps, brochures and information +33 2 43 20 10 32.
The first Saturday of June, in Sillé-Plage, fishing festival. For specialists like beginners, with entertaining and convivial animations.
The 4th Sunday of July, medieval festival in the castle. On the program, fun animations, costumed parades, ambulatory music, meals in the Middle Ages fashion.
On the first Sunday in August, a horse race at the hippodrome, on the edge of the forest.
The first weekend of September, the Raid Ox Terra, in Sillé-Plage, proposes nature trails for a team of two to mountain biking, canoeing or running.
The last weekend of September, the Gamelle Trophy offers in good humor mountain bike races for young and old.
Finally, to discover the wealth of the terroir, a market takes place on Wednesdays and Saturdays morning in downtown.
Final FFPS Veterans Carp
- From 24 to 27 september 2020
- Etang neuf, Route de Sille Plage
- Final FFPS veterans carp: 24/27 September 2020 - Come watch the championships of France veterans and masters of sport fishing!
- From 25 to 27 september 2020
- 8 Place Paul Brulat, Salle Léon Besnardeau
- Created in 1967 under the name of A Capella Ensemble, the company Hit Do today consists of a group of 40 adult singers, a group of 30 children "" Do Hit Junior "" formerly "the Queniaux" and a team that provides technical part (sound, lighting, sets, staging) - The Company develops Do Hit annually themed performances by developing a taste for singing, music and sense of community life for youth and adults. French music is the basis of his repertoire, the groups are accompanied with a soundtrack performed by the choir directors according to their harmonization. The Ensemble presents a completely new show every year in September. The show in 2020 called "" Circus "" is the theme aptly named Circus.
Soybean Trophy sun
- On 4 october 2020
- Sille Plage
- Attention edition in 2020, originally scheduled Sunday, April 26, 2020 is postponed to Sunday, October 4 due to the outbreak of coronavirus (Covid 19). - The 5th edition of the Trophée Sojasun the benefit of the association dreams will take place Sunday, April 26, 2020, with two events on the program: - - Run & Bike Team at 11:00 of 2 - 8 km - - Cross Triathlon 14:30: 400m swim + bike + 8 km 4 km race walk
- On 18 october 2020
- Centre-ville, Place de la Republique
- Among the most important of the Sarthe Sillé great fall flea market stands on the eve of the fair of Saint Michael, she is also the heiress. Flea market, flea market, farmers market and the artisans fair.
Friendly Fishing: carp Night
- From 23 to 25 october 2020
- Route de Sille Plage
- Dates friendly fishing night Carpe: - 12,13,14 June 2020 (canceled) - 04,05,06 September 2020 - 23,24,25 October 2020 (Telethon 2020)
Halloween Party and Cucurbitaceae
- On 31 october 2020
- Place de la Republique
- It's a festive night hike and gourmet to discover the heritage organized by hikers Pays de Sillé. - With the participation of associations of Sillé and the Community of Communes. Open to all and children accompanied by their families. - Donations will go to benefit the Telethon.
Competition Archery Indoor
- From 7 to 8 november 2020
- Chemin d'Esse, Salle de la Métallerie
- Attend an indoor 18m competition counting towards the national ranking, and support the sport!
- On 22 november 2020
- Route de Sille Plage
- Hiking mountain bike, hybrid and walking in Sillé-Beach area, at the Telethon
- From 4 to 6 december 2020
- Place de la Republique
- Every 2 years, the Telethon held in Sille le Guillaume. For the occasion, all associations, businesses in the city are mobilized to participate in challenges and animaitons organized. - Village Telethon donations
- On 13 december 2020
- Square Bachelier
- Many find gifts, artisans, music... and of course Santa Claus. Special activities for children