Saulxures-sur-Moselotte is a small town in the Vosges, in the Grand Est region, 45 km south-east of Epinal.
The territory of the vast municipality of 31 km ² is the average mountain, its highest point culminating at 1005 m of altitude, close to the summit of Haut du Roc (1012 m).
The village developed in the upper Moselotte Valley, a tributary of the Moselle. Firstly, a passageway to the monasteries of Remiremont and Munster, peasants settle in the Middle Ages and agriculture takes off (breeding, production of cheese and honey). Silviculture is also present. From the eighteenth century, the textile industry takes off on the town, enjoying the pure waters of the Moselotte.
Although this activity has declined, tourism has become an important part of the local economy after the development in 1998 of a 10-hectare retaining lake on the Moselotte River and a recreation base west of the town..
Belonging to the Regional Natural Park of Ballons des Vosges, close to famous resorts like La Bresse, enjoying a green environment, Saulxures-sur-Moselotte which counts nearly 2800 inhabitants, turns out to be a popular holiday resort and is certainly worth the detour.
In terms of historical heritage, the jewel of the town which has many hamlets was for a long time the castle of Saulxures, built between 1854 and 1861 by a textile manufacturer. Nicknamed "the Versailles Vosges", it is partly registered since 1984 (facades, roofs and outbuildings). The quality of Louis XV style construction was remarkable, with marquetry floors, Carrara marble fireplaces, monumental staircases, painted ceilings, sculptures and tapestries made by renowned artists. The wrought iron grilles reproduced those of the place Stanislas in Nancy and the steps were flanked by sculptures evoking the four seasons. Partly ruined, the castle is waiting for a restoration project.
At the religious level, the Saint-Prix church was inaugurated in 1883. From neo-Gothic style, large size, it succeeded a building of the tenth century became cramped and dangerous. There is a superb organ dating back to 1869 and the 44 windows decorated with stained glass made after the Second World War.
To see also, the old chapel Notre-Dame du Roc, at a place called Rupt-de-Bâmont, erected in 1953, which has been transformed into a cottage!
At the mercy of the hamlets, more than twenty crosses also mark the territory.
Finally, to see also, the "Grove of the Brotherhood", a monolith erected in 1989 on the edge of the pond of the Fairies on the occasion of the bicentennial of the French Revolution and which symbolizes the federation of the communes of the Vosges valleys.
In another register, it is in a former sawmill with a hydraulic production unit that shelters the museum of wood. There are the old trades of the forest and wood processing (lumberjack, sawyer, turner, clogger...) and many tools and machines. Open Friday in May, June, September and October and every day except Saturday in July and August. Price: 2 and 4 euros. Information on +33 3 29 24 52 13.
However, it is obviously its natural heritage that is now the primary wealth of the locality.
Near the wood museum, discover the arboretum built as a labyrinth that has no less than 80 plants all from the municipality, or 46 different species of softwoods or hardwoods.
During a walk, the site of the Bambois and its 94 hectares of forest and ponds classified Natura 2000 for their rich ecological diversity is also worth seeing, as well as the pond of Fairies (one hectare), the Moselotte and various small streams that cross the town. However, it is the lake and the recreation base of the Moselotte built in 1998 that are the rallying point of leisure enthusiasts "nature".
The lake of nearly 10 hectares is surrounded by a base of 13 hectares surrounded by forests. In addition to a camping and cottages for holidaymakers, there is a sandy beach where swimming is monitored in summer. Children's play areas and picnic areas, a canoe rental point, a climbing wall, a volleyball court and a bowling alley are also available all year round. Information on +33 3 29 24 56 56.
At the lake or on the shores of trout-rich local rivers, fishermen can indulge in their favorite pastime. Find out about the regulations on +33 3 29 24 56 56 or +33 9 60 13 77 72.
The leisure center can also be the starting point for many hiking or mountain biking with bucolic panoramas and views of the Vosges. Attention, some circuits can present difficulties related to relief.
Fans also have the opportunity to take the Greenway of the Hautes Vosges, which totals 55 km of courses built on the old railway lines of the Moselle and Moselotte valleys, reserved for hikers, joggers, cyclists, rollers or even, in winter, cross-country ski specialists. Documentation and information on +33 3 29 24 52 13.
The Club Vosgien Local also offers hikes for walkers of all levels. Contact the +33 3 29 24 64 19.
Finally, to play a game of tennis, join the local club to reserve a court on +33 (0) 3 29 24 65 9 and for those who enjoy thrills, the club Four Winds offers initiations paragliding (contact +33 3 29 24 63 45).
3rd Sunday of April, popular walk with two courses of your choice of 10 and 20 km.
May 1st, flea market.
The first Sunday of July, trail (wilderness race).
July 14, for the national holiday, fireworks fired from the lake recreational base.
The third weekend of July, the "fair to the Vosges" is a credit to this regional breed of cattle while programming fairground attractions, gourmet and musical entertainment.
On the last weekend of August, on the leisure base, Saulxures Festi'Lac organizes reggae music concerts.
The Vosgienne's Fair
- From 20 to 21 july 2019
- Ancien collège, Centre ville
- Frequently at the Vosges on the Weekend. - Parade, unpacking. Competition.
- On 24 july 2019
- 336 Les amias, Base de Loisirs
- With Paradox Duo Varieties. Nicolas Henry at the Brasserie "Les Terrasses du Lac".
- On 2 august 2019
- 1050, Route du Droit du Rupt de Bamont
- Evening Meal hosted by The Vendest Group.
2nd High Iron Festival
- From 10 to 11 august 2019
- 20 Rue du moulin, Musée du Bois
- 2nd High Iron Festival / Wood Museum (Program pending).