Medieval fortress located at Sainte-Mondane, in the Dordogne, the castle of Fenelon is a building of the twelfth century strongly transformed in the fourteenth, sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Private property open to the public, it is classified as an historic monument, while its three dependencies are listed. The castle has recently been labeled Maisons des Illustres.
A Cathar landmark in the 12th and 13th centuries, Fénelon Castle was attached to the crown of England in 1360 following the Treaty of Brétigny, before being taken over by the French fifteen years later. The building takes its name from the archbishop of Cambrai, François de Salignac La Mothe-Fénelon, also famous French writer.
One can admire a first enclosure opened by a gatehouse, then a second enclosure, also equipped with a gatehouse. The Château de Fenelon presents circular towers with slate roofs. Near the courtyard, it is possible to admire a 13th century chapel installed in one of the towers, and a well of ninety meters built in the Merovingian period.
Inside, do not miss the vaulted cellar, the medieval kitchens, the Renaissance room and its tapestries, the Louis XIII style room where Fénelon was born, the Premier Empire room and its Napoleon souvenirs, or the cabinet of curiosities and its mermaid of the seas of China and the room of arms regrouping more than three hundred pieces of the 15th to the 18th century.