Saint-Julien-des-Landes is a town in the Vendée, Pays de la Loire region, 25 km west of La Roche-sur-Yon.
Located at a dozen kilometers of the littoral and the Atlantic beaches, the municipal territory of 28,5 km ² is bordered on the north by the Jaunay river which widens then in the form of a lake.
The village takes its name from monks from Brioude in the early Middle Ages and the typical vegetation of this land near the coast. Composed of different fiefs, the locality pays a heavy tribute to the Revolution and later during the First World War. Until then essentially agricultural, the economy diversifies during the last third of the twentieth century with the installation of companies, the development of subdivisions and finally the development of tourism (campsites). Demography is thus growing, and the current population is about 1700 inhabitants.
The proximity of the sea combined with a green and peaceful setting, a variety of leisure activities and a heritage of interest delight vacationers summer and visitors staying in the region.
The town has several heritage items that can mark a pleasant discovery circuit. This is the case of the imposing church built in 1855 in a neo-Gothic style. We will notice its bell tower which houses a statue of Saint Julien adorned with coats of arms and, inside, tombstones of the old Brandeau lords (16th) who were transferred from the previous church. Several chapels erected after donations from wealthy local families are also visible, mostly with stained glass windows. Of particular note in the north side is a stained glass window evoking the 14-18 war and, overcoming the porch, another depicting Our Lady of Lourdes, laid in 1959. A leaflet is available at the entrance of the church for visitors (to default, contact +33 2 51 46 62 15).
On the territory of Saint-Julien-des-Landes, several castles symbolizing the old fiefs are also worth mentioning. Such as Brandeau Castle, which still has some of its fifteenth century buildings, which were completed by a wing of the nineteenth. Formerly surrounded by farms, the castle of Garangeoire was rebuilt in the nineteenth century in a Directoire style. The estate includes vestiges dating back some to the Gallo-Roman era. The castle of La Forêt was also rebuilt in the nineteenth century, just like that of La Bassetière, inhabited by the same family for over 500 years. Burned under the Revolution, it was rebuilt but a wing of the sixteenth century was preserved.
These different historic sites like the banks of the Jaunay or the wooded areas of the territory can be connected during hiking or mountain biking. Other routes may include a loop linking the village to the coast. Documentation and information on +33 2 51 47 88 20 or +33 2 51 05 90 49.
For those who prefer the horse, pony baptisms or horse rides are proposed from March to December by the equestrian center of the Garangeoire. Contact +33 6 84 72 36 51 or +33 2 51 46 65 39.
As far as leisure is concerned, near the Jaunay lake, the Baudrière leisure center allows you to combine relaxation and a preserved environment. Canoeing is one of the flagship activities on this lake. Information on +33 2 51 34 64 72.
Near the village, the recreation area, rue du Fief, includes games for children, a fitness trail, picnic facilities and even a small lake.
For fishing enthusiasts, the place is accessible. Just like some areas of Jaunay. Regulatory information on +33 2 51 37 19 05.
A leisure park has also been established on Saint-Julien-des-Landes where among other activities, young and old can indulge in tree climbing or paintball. Information on +33 2 51 98 79 02.
Finally, on the cultural level, events (tales, exhibitions, shows) are regularly scheduled at the library and at the socio-cultural center. Information on +33 2 51 98 79 03.