The origin of Ranville goes back to antiquity. The Roman road linking Pont-Audemer and Bayeux going about the town; travelers had to borrow a Ranville tray to reach the port of Bénouville and continue their journey. It was not until the mid-nineteenth century that this tray was replaced by a bridge-turn.
A farm developed in the town and gave it its name: Rando, personal name of Germanic origin, associated with villa referring to a rural area. Over the centuries, several activities were developed: the stone extraction of Caen which was then sent, especially to England, in the Orne (Street career to remember that past Longueval); river activities (sablonniers and fishermen) to Longueval périclitèrent that with the opening of Caen canal to the sea; Agriculture, including the marshes drained in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
The town was split between several hamlets more or less grouped: Le Bourg Neuf, Le Bas de Ranville, The Hom, The Mill, The Mariquet, Longueville, Longueval.
In 1860, the Ranvillais decided to demolish their church, considered dilapidated and too small. They retained only the steeple of the eleventh and twelfth centuries which still exists today next to the new church.
Ranville was the first village liberated in France June 6, 1944 by the British Parachute Battalion 13th (13th Parachute Battalion) commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Peter Luard. The castle of Helm, a mansion on a floor, then served as headquarters to the 6th Airborne Division.