Dotted with many farms and vineyards, the town of Port-Saint-Père is situated on a Roman road which there called road salt, is still visible. In the past, Acheneau had a very important fluvial activity, as evidenced by the port of Morinière, which reached up to the early 20th century heavy traffic of barges carrying grain, wine, wood and other goods. This port is now the perfect place for a quiet fishing party. The river is also Acheneau castles and manor houses, one can see the castle including Grandville, whose columns of the balcony reminiscent of Italian architecture, or Briord castle, transformed into "madness" (the name given to the time to large town houses) in the 17th century.
The Second World War lasted for 9 to Port-Saint-Père months (from August 1944 to May 11, 1945) than in the rest of France. For the record, a 250 kg bomb U.S. based since 1944, standing on a rock at one meter below the level of the road, the village of Pilon. It was at 7:00, March 8, 2009, 200 people were evacuated to defuse the bomb.