The village is crossed by two rivers: the Thue which flows into the Seulles Amblie and the Gronde coming from Coulombs which feeds the water of the castle of Manneville as well as the two former laundries of the village before throwing itself in Thue in the hamlet of Pierrepont.
Origin of the name: from the word Lantos, patronymic of a Gaulish chief and the Gaulish language ialo, "clearing, field". Lantheuil is therefore "the clearing of Lantos".
Located halfway between Caen and Bayeux, the village may have been a war place, as was Vaussieux, where a camp was established. Since the early seventeenth century, the locality has close relations with the family of Turgot, the castle of Manneville being for a long time an important place in the village. As frequently in the region, men are most often laborers, the main activity being agriculture or stonecutters, while women are for the most part lacemakers. Until 1790, the Lantheuil estate was established as a parish, while that of Pierrepont, where a laity convent was founded by a parish priest of Lantheuil, is a branch of the parish of Amblie. These two domains were united in 1835 by M. Turget, prefect of Calvados. In the nineteenth century, the industry is almost absent, with the exception of two or three match factories. In the late twentieth century, agriculture is less important than before, the majority of working Caen.
Nestled in the middle of two valleys, Thue and Seulles, Amblie is located halfway between Bayeux and Caen.
A little history...
The presence of man is ancient as evidenced by human traces dating back to antiquity. For several centuries, the territory is attached to the French nobility. The textile activity is developed in the nineteenth century. Water mills established on the banks of the Thue, which still function until 1945, thus treat the textile threads but also the grain. After World War I, Belgian peasants settled on the territory. Spared during the Second World War, although very close to the landing beaches, Amblie helps Caen hosting a refugee center and injured thousands of victims.