In the late 19th century, the town of Pontarlier considering creating a village hall. It is supported in its efforts by the military authorities who want their troops on exercise in Pontarlier attend institutions other than licensed premises Pontissaliens.
The project architect Chopard, opened October 21, 1900, provided for the development of a large room above the corn up to 1500 people.
With the advent of cinema, this room is regularly used for projections. Following a fire in 1907 during a meeting, the hall is forbidden to see movies. It is then almost exclusively for theatrical and musical performances, lectures, public meetings and dances. Closed for several years, the theater opens its doors again in 1978 after being enlarged and transformed. He now has two rooms: the old hall, named hall Toussaint Louverture and the primitive room, hall named Jean Renoir. Its facade, typical of 19th century and retains its triangular pediment decorated with various symbolic sculptures.
Around the arms of the city include elements from ancient times evoking the commercial role of the city: anchors, cornucopias, Neptune's trident, caduceus of Mercury and helmet ... Restored in 1997, he took the name of Bernard Theatre Blier, in tribute to the actor attached to Pontarlier for family reasons.