Spa of the Grand Est region, Plombières-les-Bains is located in the Vosges department, in the historic old Lorraine. The one called the City of a thousand balconies takes place in the southern Vosges, not far from Remiremont, Epinal and its images.
Labeled Village Stage, "100 Plus Beaux Détours de France", and first city of Lorraine has been labeled "Small Cities of Character", the town is a millennial city that seduced by its architecture of the Second Empire. Populated by the Celts as early as the 5th century BC, Plombières-les-Bains saw the birth of its first spa 2000 years ago with the discovery of the warm waters by the Romans. Since then, the famous guests wishing to enjoy the benefits of these sources will succeed each other over the centuries, like Napoleon III, the Empress Josephine, Voltaire or Beaumarchais. The city is illustrated in 1858 with the meeting between the emperor and the Count of Cavour which will give rise to the Treaty of Plombières which signs the annexation of Savoy and Nice by France in exchange for military aid to Piedmont-Sardinia.
Always very touristy, the city of Plombières-les-Bains still attracts many curists, as well as curious eager to admire a homogeneous and very well preserved architecture testifying to the golden age of the city.
The city of a thousand balconies is full of architectural treasures for a walk in the alleys of the spa.
Built at the request of Emperor Napoleon III, the Grand Hotel and the Napoleon Baths form one of the most beautiful architectural ensembles of Plombières-les-Bains. Built in the middle of the 19th century, they are the symbol of the Second Empire style. Inside, you will be greeted by a marble of the Emperor before admiring a large lobby of 55 meters long. Listed by the Historical Monuments, the whole seduces by the richness of its decoration, like the two statues of Calliope, muse of the epic poetry and Thalie, muse of the Comedy, a loan of the museum of the Louvre. Still active, the spa is known to treat intestinal diseases and rheumatism with many treatments.
The baths Plombières, meanwhile, bring together eight high places of the spa of the town. Five of them are occupied by the Balneo-Roman center Calodaé unique in France. If they reveal ultramodern balneotherapy equipment, these buildings are mostly listed as Historical Monuments for their ancient charm. The gallery Jutier, built in the nineteenth century links them together. The 19th century National Bath takes place on the site of the former Capuchin convent and is now used as a spa bar with its beautiful mosaics. At the same time, the pavilion of the Princes served as a residence for the imperial family, and welcomed the signing of the Treaty of Plombières. Built in the late 18th century, the temperate bath houses a thermal pool and a beautiful canopy of the early twentieth century. Present since antiquity, the Roman bath was rebuilt in the 1930s but has retained some original steps. Decorated with mosaics and murals, the site also unveils a Roman statue lent by the Louvre. The Bain Stanislas, founded in the middle of the 18th century, still admires a stone staircase with wrought iron banisters as well as a drying oven and a humid oven which are still used in the spa center of the city. The Jacuzzis are located in Bain Montaigne, a building from the first half of the 19th century. Finally, the house Arcades built by Stanislas Leszczynski, father-in-law of Louis XV, in the second half of the eighteenth century. Town hall in the eighteenth century, the building hosts the ground floor source of the Crucifix, listed historical monument.
Housed in the nineteenth century, the Imperial Park has hosted since 2012 the Alsace-Lorraine Miniature Park. In addition to its dozens of species of trees, the place can admire 28 models reproducing the most famous monuments of the region. Different chapels are also scattered in the city.
Walking through the city, you will discover several villas of the late nineteenth century and labeled Heritage Foundation, especially for their iron balconies. The religious heritage of Plombières-les-Bains does not lack charm either, like the church Saint-Amé (closed for work until 2019). Rebuilt in the 19th century, it reveals a beautiful neo-gothic flamboyant style due to Viollet-le-Duc. Listed historical monument, it is located not far from the terraced gardens of the city: the 1001st balcony of the spa town, with a breathtaking view of the valley. Beautiful gardens that dominate the city and offer entertainment, rest, relaxation, sale of products, tree climbing, barefoot trail.... The miniature park in the Imperial Park will allow you to wander between the most famous buildings of Alsace Lorraine in miniature.
Plombières-les-Bains also has a casino that is animated by many shows and rich in slot machines and other gaming tables. And several craftsmen and antique dealers.
The specialty is Plombières ice cream, which can be enjoyed seasonally in restaurants, tea rooms and pastry shops in the city.
The weekly market is held every Friday morning. The four weekends before Christmas, Plombières-les-Bains offers a craft market and lively Christmas. A flea market is also organized every second Sunday of the month of April to October.
In May, around Ascension Thursday, Plombières-les-Bains organizes its traditional blessing of hot springs, exhibitions, open doors...
In July, do not miss the Plomb'Art Art Festival and Arts Week in August.
Rock les Bains is a free music festival that takes place in August.
In Ruaux (4 km from Plombières-les-Bains), the local market takes place every other Saturday in July-August and the Honey Festival takes place on the first Sunday of September.
Numerous activities punctuate the year, Erotic'Art festival in February, Wellness fair at Pentecost week-end, concerts every weekend in July and August...
Music Festival at the Wagon
- On 21 june 2019
- Allée Eugène Delacroix
- On the occasion of a concert, celebrate the summer with the "Duo Feelings" (Mariah Appavoo and Michel Burg)... A complicity that illuminates their duet! A wave of sound "Caliente"! It promises to be sunny. At the restaurant Le Wagon or its terrace depending on weather.
30 years - 30 Walks: the Pnrbv Celebrates 30 years in Plombières les Bains
- On 22 june 2019
- This easy walk allows you to discover the landscape and rural heritage of the spa town of Plombières-les-Bains, the city with a thousand balconies. - With the Club Vosgiens and the Art and History School of Plombières-les-Bains - Departure at 9am / Duration: 3h / Difficulty level: Easy / Elevation: 257 m. - The meeting place will be communicated after registration. - http://www.30ans-parc-ballons-vosges.fr / +33 3 89 77 90 20 / 30ans-park-ballons-vosges. Fr
3rd International Spruce Festival of the Vosges
- From 28 to 30 june 2019
- Cours de la bibliothèque ou Salle Eugénie, Rue Grillot
- During this 3rd International Spruce Festival of the Vosges, different groups will perform Belgian, Swiss, German, and local. Three days spread over three places: June 28th at Girmont-Val-d'Ajol from 6pm to 9pm, June 29th at Plombières from 2pm to 6pm and June 30th at Val-d'Ajol from 10am to 12pm. - Concerts-Manufacturing Exposition. Exceptional: Jan Smed's golden concert at Plombières Casino on June 29 at 9pm. - Facebook page: Vosges Spruce Festival
The Music Terrace - duo 'ape'
- On 5 july 2019
- 1, Place du Casino
- La Terrasse Musicale returns to Plombières station: musical meal with the "APE" Duo, pop "aKoustiK". - Book now ! In case of bad weather, the concerts will take place in the dining room.
Feast of the Rose
- On 7 july 2019
- 414 Le Haut du Pré
- Artisanal market around the Rose with some exhibitors. Guided tour of the gardens (5 € / pers) Small flea market, various animations including cooking demonstrations of the renowned chef Lorraine Pierrat of Domaine Saint Romary in Saint Etienne les Remiremont. Meal around the Rose (10 €) and dessert buffet, drink. Free admission.
Nocturne Dico Tomy
- On 11 july 2019
- 8 Rue Grillot
- "All the music he loves, it comes from Bashung, Bobby Lapointe, Thiefaine, Cohen, Dylan, Bowie and the others" - Born in Saint Dié, dico tomy responds to the name of Thomas broyez; a true troubadour, with a guitar slung over his shoulder, he runs from town to town and from stage to stage to perform and sing. Composer and performer, he likes to play with words, with humor, with love, with poetry to present his compositions. - Apérochalot from 18h30. - To discover under the big hall from 20:30.
The Music Terrace - duet 'Annick & Geoffrey'
- On 12 july 2019
- 1, Place du Casino
- La Terrasse Musicale returns to Plombières station: a musical meal with the Duo "Annick & Geoffrey", French and international varieties. - Book now ! In case of bad weather, the concerts will take place in the dining room.
- On 14 july 2019
- 1, Place du Casino
- Guaranteed atmosphere: a cocktail offered to all our guests *, barbecue and DJ night in the slot machine room (Entrance reserved for adults who are not prohibited from playing on presentation of a valid ID or card Players Plus). *In the limit of the available stock. Alcohol abuse is dangerous for your health, consume with moderation.
The Music Terrace - 'one man Songs'
- On 19 july 2019
- 1, Place du Casino
- La Terrasse Musicale returns to Plombières station: musical meal with "One Man Songs", in a crooner atmosphere. - Book now ! In case of bad weather, the concerts will take place in the dining room.
The Terrace Musicale - duet 'Ossagantsia'
- On 2 august 2019
- 1, Place du Casino
- La Terrasse Musicale returns to Plombières station: musical meal with the duo "Ossagantsia", composed of his singer Jazz-Soul Gospel & Voice-over. - Book now ! In case of bad weather, the concerts will take place in the dining room.