The Moulin de la Galette is located at the corner of rue Lepic and rue Girardon, in the district of Butte Montmartre, in the 18th arrondissement of the capital.
It is the last mill in working order of the thirteen windmills which marked out the hillock. It brings together the Blute-Fin Mill, built in 1622, and the Moulin Radet, dating from 1717. In 1812, the owner of the Blute-Fin Mill purchased the nearby Moulin Radet. For some time, Blute-Fin continues its original business by producing flour sold on Paris, and Radet crushes seeds for perfumery. Then the Radet is moved and integrated with his elder. From 1834, the Moulin de la Galette is the new denomination of the whole, in reference to rye patties then prized.
It is also on this date that a guinguette is open below the mill, which quickly becomes fashionable. Over the decades, industrial mills have stopped the production of traditional mills but the Moulin de la Galette remains in the state. The wings are stopped but he is saved from destruction.
The guinguette has given way to restaurants where celebrities had their habits as Dalida.
Listed in 1954 in the supplementary inventory of historical monuments, the Moulin de la Galette whose wings were renovated in 2001 was immortalized by many artists (Renoir, Toulouse-Lautrec, Van Gogh or Picasso), who appreciated this festive place and colorful, symbol of "Parisian life" and the spirit of Montmartre.
The restaurant located under the mill is open every day. Contact at +33 1 46 06 84 77.
It is also possible to admire the building during a guided tour of this emblematic district. Information on +33 1 49 52 42 63.