The Blue Train is a restaurant located in the Gare de Lyon, in the 12th arrondissement of the capital.
First called the "Buffet de la Gare", it was built on the occasion of the Universal Exposition of 1900 and inaugurated in 1901 by the President of the Republic Émile Loubet.
Since 1963, it is named Train Bleu in reference to the famous train connecting Paris Ventimiglia via Marseille and whose line follows the coast of the French Riviera.
The decor of the restaurant is neo-baroque and Belle Epoque and some of the rooms (the golden lounge or small lounge, the great room, the Tunisian and Algerian lounges, passages and their decor) are classified as historical monuments since 1972. A threatened with demolition, the establishment was saved by the intervention of the Minister of Culture André Malraux in 1966.
In addition to sculptures, gilding, moldings, chandeliers, furniture, some forty murals evoke the cities or landscapes served by the PLM Company (Paris-Lyon-Mediterranean) from the station. Famous artists contributed to it. The three paintings on the ceiling of the Great Hall dedicated to the three largest cities in France are signed by François Flameng, Guillaume Debufe and Gaston Casimir Saint-Pierre. The rooms are also equipped with polished floors, wood paneling, leather banquettes, mahogany service furniture... Finally, above the stairs leading to the tracks, a René Billotte mural depicts monuments of Paris such as the Alexandre bridge. III.
Frequented by many celebrities from the world of arts and politics, the Blue Train, a true jewel with a representative Belle Epoque style, is still today a renowned gastronomic establishment. A renovation was made in 2014. The protected elements were restored identically, including frescoes, but some pieces of furniture were sold.
Access to the Train Bleu restaurant is from the train station hall.
Open every day but access reserved for guests of the establishment. Information on +33 1 43 43 09 06.