Parisian department store located in the 1st arrondissement, between the rue de Rivoli and the Seine, the Samaritaine was founded in 1870 by Ernest Cognacq. Listed by the Historical Monuments, it reveals particular styles Art nouveau and Art deco wanted by the architects Frantz Jourdain and Henri Sauvage.
Closed since 2005 and currently being redeveloped over its 48,000 m², it takes its name from a water pump located on the Pont Neuf and whose existence goes back to Henri IV. Because of its success, the Samaritan quickly opened several other stores close to the original one.
It is the largest Parisian store by its size.