The Clermont-Tonnerre hotel is located at number 18 Place des Vosges, in the 4th arrondissement of the capital.
This building should not be confused with the old mansion of the same name located at the Quai de la Tournelle, in the 5th arrondissement.
The hotel Clermont-Tonnerre was built between 1605 and 1612 concomitant with the development of this royal square designed by the architect Louis Mettezeau, became place des Vosges, which he occupies on the "east" side one of the 36 pavilions, all made of bricks and white limestone and roofs covered with slate. Like the other buildings on the ground floor, the hotel has a gallery under arcades that can shelter pedestrians.
The hotel of Clermont-Tonnerre was classified as historical monuments in 1954. It houses in front a trade and a famous art gallery. The whole remains a private property that can not be visited.
Its noble facade can mark, however, a free or guided walk in this historical and architectural site of the Marais district. Information on +33 1 49 52 42 63.