Located on the island of Saint-Louis, in the 4th arrondissement of Paris, the Chenizot mansion is a private property that is now classified as an historic monument. Built at the beginning of the 17th century, for Pierre de Verton, it reveals a main building on the street and a second between courtyard and garden.
It owes its name to Jean-François Guyot of Chenizot, who bought it in 1719 and had it modified by the famous architect Pierre Vigné de Vigny. Following the ransacking of the archbishop's palace of Paris in 1831, the Chenizot mansion was rented for almost ten years by the prefect of the Seine to accommodate the then-homeless archbishop of Paris.
Between 1850 and 1862, the building then hosted the staff of the 1st Legion of the Gendarmerie before returning to a private owner.