The Palais de l'Alma is located at 11 Quai Branly, facing the Alma Bridge, their names commemorating the Battle of Alma, in Crimea, which took place in 1854.
The building was built in 1861 according to the plans of the architect Jacques-Martin Tetaz, and his first vocation was to house the stables of the imperial house of Napoleon III and to house his staff.
Now contiguous to the musée du quai Branly dedicated to the primitive arts, the palace includes several buildings around a large central courtyard garden. The entrance is quai Branly in the north, the limit "south" of the whole being delimited by the street of the University.
Assigned to the presidency of the Republic from 1881, the Palace of the Alma housed for a long time offices of Météo-France at the level of the "east" wing and the Superior Council of the Judiciary from 1952 to 2011 in his "west" wing.
Protected as historical monuments since 2002, the Palace of Alma is now fully occupied by the services of the presidency and also includes 70 function apartments reserved for close collaborators of the Head of State.
The whole can not be visited, but its imposing facade can mark a commented walk of the district even to be observed at the end of a visit of the museum of the quai Branly. Information on +33 1 49 52 42 63.