The Museum of Freemasonry is located at 16 Cadet Street, in the 9th district of Paris.
It occupies part of a modern building, dating from the 1970s, which also houses the headquarters of the Grand Orient of France.
Already located at this address but in a building that later became too small, the museum was created in 1889 on the occasion of the centenary of the French Revolution to highlight the major role that was then that of Freemasonry. Plundered during the Occupation the museum reopened in 1973. Labeled Museum of France, it is intended to "testify to the Masonic influence on the evolution of society, citizenship and modernity".
It offers 400 m² of permanent exhibitions and 200 m² dedicated to temporary exhibitions. The public is presented with documents retracing the history of Freemasonry in France and many pieces of furniture, decorations and ritual objects that belonged to the lodges and masons. A large collection of seals, jewelery, medals, paintings, personal items such as watches and snuff boxes are also preserved, as well as a large number of manuscripts, engravings and photographs.
Also presented are major historical pieces such as a full-length portrait of the Count of Clermont, Grand Master from 1743 to 1771, the "aprons" of Voltaire or Jerome Bonaparte or the sword of "Venerable" Lafayette.
Open Tuesday to Sunday. Free visit: 6 euros. Guided tour of the museum and temples on Saturday at 2:30 pm and 4 pm Price: 7 euros.
Information on +33 1 45 23 74 09.