The House of Steelworkers is a public institution of cultural cooperation located at 94 rue Jean-Pierre Timbaud, in the 11th arrondissement of the capital. The premises belong to the city of Paris, and the vocation of this "multidisciplinary" space is to combine artistic requirements and societal concerns.
Originally, the place originally housed a copper musical instrument factory from 1881 and then the company Couesnon, also specialized in musical instruments. Exporting a large part of its production to the United States since the development of jazz, the company is affected by the crisis of 1929 and resolves to sell its buildings. They are bought by the Fraternal Union of Metallurgy (UFM), a branch of the General Confederation of Labor (CGT). Baptized "House of Metal Workers", the site is henceforth reputed to shelter public meetings and trade unions but also to initiate strong political actions during the War of Spain (reception of the volunteers of the International Brigades), the Resistance, the fight against the wars from Algeria and Vietnam...
The UFM is selling the buildings in 1997. After the mobilization of residents and associations who fear that developers distort the premises, the town hall of Paris bought the site which is then the subject of a restoration.
Now, the House of Steelworkers houses a theater (theater, concerts), a second room under glass, work areas including audio and video studios and a bar located on a mezzanine overlooking the lobby.
Are scheduled shows, exhibitions but also forums and meetings.
The facades and roofs were listed as historic monuments in 2000, "the construction program defining living space and workspace is significant industrial hotels of the late nineteenth", according to specialists.
Possible visit during the day. Information on +33 1 48 05 88 27.