The Couvent des Cordeliers is located at 15 rue de l'Ecole de Médecine, in the 6th arrondissement of the capital.
It was founded in the 13th century thanks to the royal largesse to welcome monks and theologians of the order of the Cordeliers.
It included a chapel, a cloister, a refectory and housing.
The site became famous during the Revolution for having housed a political club founded by Danton. The meetings held there from 1790 are then of a certain violence and take regularly insurrectional character.
After this singular episode, the development of the medical school and the Sorbonne University caused a new assignment of several parts of the former convent, including the cloister and neighboring buildings.
A time reserved for the reception of a museum, the refectory of the convent, only vestige of the original convent, is classified in 1975. 57 m long and 17 m wide, it dates from the fourteenth century, including a floor dedicated to the rooms, and he will soon get a new assignment. Under the impetus of the town of Paris, the dining room of 700 m² will host cultural events and floors of studios to house researchers in residence. As for the 18th century pavilion adjoining the refectory, it will house the reception of this new institution. The end of the construction is scheduled for the course of 2019.
The refectory is closed to the visit during the works. The site can, however, mark a walk in this highly historic neighborhood.
Information +33 1 77 75 11 00 for all the future of the refectory and +33 1 49 52 42 63 for a guided tour of the neighborhood.