The church Saint-Séverin is located in the rue des Prêtres-Saint-Séverin, in the 5th arrondissement of Paris, in the heart of the Latin Quarter.
It was built in the 13th century when the Ile de la Cité became too small to accommodate all the students who came to study at Paris within the university created by Philippe Auguste, a part of the infrastructures welcoming them was built on the left bank of the Seine.
The foundations of the original building burned down in 1448, in the aftermath of the Hundred Years War and in times of economic recovery, it was decided to rebuild a larger church and symbolizing the radiance of Paris. The site lasts until the 17th century.
Example of Gothic style, the church has a beautiful glass roof and a double ambulatory. Relatively spared during the Revolution, the church was restored to worship in 1803.
A small part of the nave has preserved elements of the 13th century, but the last four bays with ogival arcades narrower than in the first bays and gorges are typical of Gothic (XV).
To see again, the west portal (XIIIe) and its columns carved with garlands of foliage. The tympanum is posterior, depicting the Virgin and Child receiving the honors of two angels (nineteenth).
First stage of the path connecting Paris to Saint Jacques de Compostela, the church is endowed with north and south side chapels in the sixteenth and seventeenth century, the choir is refurbished in a classical style. A chapel is then designed by Mansart.
New restorations take place in the 19th century. A 13th century altar from Île la Cité is installed and murals are made.
This Gothic jewel with remarkable stained glass is accessible every day. Guided tours are however offered every first Sunday of the month at 15:30 (except during school holidays). Tours adapted for people with reduced mobility or young people can be organized by appointment.
Information on +33 1 42 34 93 50.