The Saint-Roch church is located rue Saint-Honoré, in the 1st arrondissement of the capital.
The first stone of its construction was laid in 1653 by Louis XIV and the construction lasted until 1722. It is one of the largest churches in Paris, 126 m long, mixing classical and Baroque style.
From Mansart to Robert de Cotte to Le Mercier, author of the first plans, the greatest architects were solicited.
Classified Historical Monument in 1914, the building is particularly famous for the notoriety of the writers or artists whose funerals were celebrated there or were buried there (Corneille, Le Nôtre, Diderot in particular), and to be still today the seat of the chaplaincy of performing artists. The Saint-Roch church is also a real museum of religious art of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Pilled during the Revolution (fighting took place in the immediate vicinity), it was indeed endowed with new works of the eighteenth and nineteenth century, particularly at the level of its various chapels, after it was returned to worship.
In particular, the choir and its vault painted by Adolphe Roger and the baroque chapel of the Virgin, surmounted by an oval dome embellished with a "Triumph of the Virgin" painted by Jean-Baptiste Pierre, are inescapable. Other major works, paintings and sculptures signed Devéria, Brisset, Challe, Scheffer or Schnetz.
Another peculiarity of the church is that a famous parishioner, the financier Law, allowed the construction of the vaults of the nave.
Equipped with quality acoustics, the Saint-Roch church regularly hosts concerts of classical or sacred music.
Free visit every day or free guided tour on the second Thursday of each month (except during school holidays) at 15h.
Information on +33 1 42 44 13 20.