The church of Saint-Nicolas-des-Champs is located rue Saint-Martin, in the 3rd arrondissement of the capital.
It was built from the end of the 12th century to replace a simple chapel of a priory then dependent on the Abbey of Cluny, which now houses the Museum of Arts and Crafts.
Gothic style flamboyant, the church was completed in the seventeenth century only, the majority of the building was however carried out in the sixteenth century. Although buildings partially hide it from passers-by Reaumur Street or Turbigo Street, it is imposing (90 m long, bell tower rising to 32 m) and from the street Cunin-Gridaine, we admire first its portal completed in 1587 designed by Philippe Delorme, also famous for being one of the architects of the Louvre.
Inside, we can notice large organs dating in part from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, one of the holders, in the 1830s, was Louis Braille, inventor also of tactile writing for the blind.
In terms of sacred art, the church retains a monumental altarpiece of the seventeenth century located 12 m from the ground, occupying the entire width of the choir. Work of Simon Vouet (1590-1649), he is the only one, in all Paris, to have remained in place during the Revolution. It evokes the Assumption of the Virgin.
Two paintings are also to be observed: a Madonna of Frans Pourbus the Younger of 1617 and a representation of Quentin Varin's Nativity Announcement (1624).
The church of Saint-Nicolas-des-Champs remained famous in religious history for "the bestowal of the Holy Spirit" (divine grace) which touched the future Saint Louise of Marillac in 1623, after which she founded the congregation of the Daughters of Charity having as spiritual guide Saint Vincent de Paul.
Animated by the Community of Emmanuel, the parish offers every Thursday "a prayer of the sick" and over the decades, many testimonies of healing have been collected, according to the Catholic authorities.
Information on +33 1 42 72 92 54.