The Paris stock exchange is located rue de Viarmes, in the 1st district of the capital, in the heart of the district of Les Halles.
At this place rose initially the mansion of Soissons, built in the thirteenth century, which had as owner including King Saint Louis. In 1718, the building became the possession of Prince Victor Amedee of Savoy. In 1720 he sheltered there the stock exchange of Paris but must resell the mansion in 1740, ruined by the bankruptcy of Law.
The provost of Paris bought the site, shaved the hotel of Soissons and from 1763, a large wheat market is built according to the plans of the architect Nicolas Camus de Mezieres. It replaces the old hall that had built Philippe Auguste.
The building near the Seine, which is considered more practical, is composed of two concentric galleries open on the outside by 24 arcades, surmounted by a vaulted attic. The set has a circumference of 122 m.
The building became the Paris Commerce Exchange in 1885.
Meanwhile, in 1783, a frame dome with glass frames covered with copper was built to protect stocks from the weather. Burned in 1802, it was replaced by a new dome just as modernist for the time (copper, glass).
Owned by the city's Chamber of Commerce at the end of the 19th century, the building was no longer dedicated to preserving stocks of wheat, but became a stock exchange. Stones on the outside and bricks on the inside were then placed on the building, the ornaments of which were preserved (columns), as well as the majestic stairs.
The stock exchange continued its activity until the twentieth century (it bought or sold goods and not securities and capital, financial transactions that took place at the Palais Abrogation).
The dome and its decoration were classified in 1986 and restoration works initiated in 1989.
In 2016, the activities of the Chamber of Commerce having been transferred, the businessman François Pinault and the town hall of Paris find an agreement for the building to eventually house part of the art collections of the Pinault Foundation.
New work is then undertaken so that the old stock exchange can highlight through permanent and temporary exhibitions the treasures of contemporary art acquired by François Pinault.
The site will be open to the public during the second half of 2019. For information call +33 1 83 75 10 00.