The Notre-Dame-des-Victoires basilica is located on Place des Petits-Pères, in the 2nd arrondissement of the capital.
Its construction was decided after a vow of Louis XIII in 1614 to build a church dedicated to the Virgin in case of victory against the Protestants. This was effective after the siege of La Rochelle in 1628. The architect Pierre Le Muet was in charge of the project, then the site was stopped for financial reasons before resuming in 1656 under the direction of Liberal Bruant. Blessed in 1666, the church was finally endowed with a portal in 1740.
The history of the church is a turning point in 1836 when the parish is dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, becoming a Marian shrine (dedicated to the Blessed Virgin) and a place of pilgrimage very popular. In 1853, Pope Pius IX granted that the statue of the virgin of the basilica be crowned, in gratitude for the deliverance of Rome by the French troops.
Gothic in style, the Notre-Dame-des-Victoires basilica is still a popular site for pilgrims. There are 300,000 to attend each year. The walls of the building are decorated with more than 37,000 ex-votos.
In addition, there are seven paintings by Van Loo, one of which represents the siege of La Rochelle and the others of episodes from the life of St. Augustine.
Stained glass windows, a pulpit and an 18th century organ are also housed in the church.
Open every day. Information on +33 1 42 60 90 47.