Labeled among the most beautiful villages of France, Olargues unfolds its charms to seduce you. And there is no shortage of assets. Almost entirely surrounded by the Jaur, the village curls up on a rocky plateau to better control the magnificent valley that stretches at its feet. The pigmented landscape of chestnut and cherry trees adjoining the vines blossoms under the sun. The medieval city has preserved all its cachet of yesteryear and invites you to catch your breath in a magnificent setting where nature and medieval architecture mingle wonderfully. It nestles in the heart of the Regional Natural Park of Haut-Languedoc, at the foot of the massif of Espinouse. History tells us that the village was born in its fortified form in the twelfth century with the construction of the feudal castle. The surrounding walls were erected in the 13th century. The city, several times besieged, resisted as well as possible the assaults until the destruction of the citadel on the orders of Richelieu. Rural territory, the municipality has established itself in the economic fabric thanks to its well-known fairs.
It is a pretty stroll loaded with history that awaits you at Olargues. From its castle overlooking the valley, it remains today, a bell tower. She will visit you and will let you discover a splendid panorama on the massif of Caroux. Fortifications remain a gateway to the twelfth century. Going up the cobbled streets of the village, you can admire many half-timbered houses dating from the 13th, 15th and 16th centuries. You will then pass by the staircase of the Commanderie. This picturesque staircase is under gallery and leads to the Museum of Art and Popular Tradition. There, a beautiful collection telling the history of the village awaits you. Later, the walk continues with a visit to the chapel of Saint-Etienne. Two other religious buildings are also to be seen on the town: the Saint-Martin-des-Œufs rural chapel and the Saint-Laurent church dating from 1688. You can also admire the old seigneurial mill and pass by the famous Diable bridge Dating from the 12th century. Olargues can be visited solo with an interactive map or guided tours in July and August. Guided tours are available throughout the year on request.
The surrounding nature invites to sport nature. Hiking is on the program of your stay. Several routes are proposed and one of them will lead you to the Peiro Escrito, a cave painting dating from the Bronze Age. Mountain biking is also on the agenda with numerous marked trails allowing beginners and experienced mountain bikers to practice their favorite sport. Discover the basement of the region in Cebenna center during 3D projection as if you had really gone to caving.
In April, athletes are expected to Olargues for the Radon Bikes Epic Enduro. The mountain bikers will therefore compete on different courses day and night to the delight of fans of the genre. Do not miss this exceptional event that brings together nearly 550 participants each year.
In the month of April, the Caroux Outdoor always puts nature sports in the spotlight. Numerous workshops for young and old await you in order to make you discover the different nature sports that you can practice in the region.
In May, it is the Mai festival that Mai invades the streets of Olargues. It is therefore a torchlight hike that awaits you, during which tales and music will ensure the atmosphere. You will also have the opportunity to participate in the wheelbarrow party and the gardener.
During the summer, Moments d'Orgues invites music lovers to attend exceptional concerts. In August, Olargues hosts Festibaloche, a festival of traditional music.
On August 15, you can go shopping at the organic market that settles for a day on the town.
Stage de Peinture- Paysage - els Knockaert
- From 28 to 29 september 2023
- Rue de la place
- During 2 days I propose you an initiation to the portrait (proportions, perspective) and to the various techniques of expression (oil, watercolour, acrylic, knife …). - 1st day : - morning : you will make sketches from a live model. - Afternoon : you will get in touch with different techniques - Particular attention will be paid to the composition of the background. - 2nd day : you will create a portrait in oil on canvas using the knowledge acquired the day before. - I work with small groups of 2 to 5 people so that the accompaniment is optimal - I work with small groups of 2 to 5 people so that the accompaniment is optimal and that everyone leaves with a nice result. - The courses take place all year round with a minimum of 2 people. - On request for a minimum of 2 people, other courses can be organized. - Possibility of personalized courses. - Material, friendly meal (organic vegetables, local products) and coffee breaks are included. - The courses can be given in French, English, Spanish, Nederlands
Soiree Nature : Brame du Cerf
- On 6 october 2023
- Avenue du Champ des Horts
- Nature evening : roeing deer - Who hasn't hoped to catch a glimpse of a deer while strolling through the forest, or simply to have the pleasure of hearing them ? Come and listen to the "brame du cerf" at dusk in the company of a forest ranger. Enjoy the sounds of nature at dusk, and with a bit of luck, a unique sighting. Outing in the Monts d ? Orb forest, followed by a talk by an ONF guide and a screening of the film Quand le cerf perd sa tête. - Bring walking shoes, warm clothing, binoculars and flashlight. Packed lunch. - Registration required, places limited.
Vivez le Pays -le Jour de la Nuit-Vignes et Vins.
- On 6 october 2023
- Place Alexandre Laissac
Rendez-vous devant la Mairie
- As a preview to Jour de la Nuit, enjoy the benefits of switching off public lighting. Join Virginie and Grégoire in Olargues for a guided tour of the village. Join the Astronomy Club for an exploration of the starry sky ? This evening is an opportunity to contemplate the beauty of the nocturnal landscape
Cueillette Sauvage !
- On 14 october 2023
- FREE - how to take part and register on our website : http://domainederestinclieres.herault.fr - Wild picking ! - 10/14/2023 - olargues - 9am - 1pm - Registration with the association that runs the event : Cebenna - 04 67 97 88 00 - email@example.com - Hungry for nature ? Discover the fruits, berries and edible wild plants of autumn. Open your eyes and your appetite and succumb to the colors of autumn for a gourmet walk without seeds. - Meeting point : Source du Fréjo, just outside Olargues, towards Saint Pons de Thomières - Additional information : Bring suitable clothing and footwear, water and sun protection - Tel (to use on D-day if necessary) : 04 67 97 88 00 - This activity is offered as part of a program of activities and discovery of the environment and sensitive natural areas, a partnership between the Département de l'Hérault and the coopere 34 network. The Hérault is yours for the taking ! - If you don't want to miss any of our programming or news, sign up for our newsletter in just a few clicks on our website : http://domainederestinclieres.herault.fr - (Website footer banner) - Discover the Domaine de Restinclières - Prades -le-Lez : - the advantages of domaine de restinclieres - 240 hectares of sensitive natural areas (ENS) - Open 7 days a week - Free parking - Playground - Picnic areas - Various hiking and walking trails - Free access to all facilities - Year-round entertainment
Balade Cueillette : Cueillette Sauvage !
- On 14 october 2023
- Avenue du Champ des Horts
- Autumn in Cebenna - Gathering walks : wild foraging ! - Hungry for nature ? Let's discover the fruits, berries and edible wild plants of autumn. Open your eyes and your appetite and succumb to the colors of autumn for a seedless gourmet stroll. Small tasting session at the end of the walk ! - Bring your notebook, camera, basket, paper bags and water. - Registration required, places limited. Free activity offered as part of a program of activities and discovery of the environment and sensitive natural areas, a partnership between the Département de l'Hérault and the coopere 34 network. The Hérault is yours for the taking !
Fête du Marron et du vin Nouveau
- On 21 october 2023
- Avenue de la gare
- Olargues organizes its traditional Chestnut and New Wine Festival. - Taste a hot chestnut cornet, fill up on chestnuts, chestnut flour, sweet and delicate Olargues chestnut cream and many other products ! - Program to come