Mussy-sur-Seine is a commune of the Aube, in the Grand Est region, 50 km south-east of Troyes, on the edge of the Côte d'Or.
Delicately hilly, ranging from 152 to 339 m altitude, the territory of the locality that crosses the Seine ensures the transition between Champagne and Burgundy.
A Gallo-Roman village was established in ancient times in a meander of the river but it is in the Middle Ages that the town develops, endowed with fortifications by its lords, the bishops of Langres, and a magnificent collegiate church with majestic dimensions.
Labeled city of character, the town has preserved from this period a heritage of the first order. It is also famous for its vineyards belonging to the Champagne appellation and its cheese tradition.
High place of the Resistance during the Second World War, Mussy-sur-Seine which has a good thousand inhabitants is a pleasant and popular stage for green tourism enthusiasts.
Classified as a Historical Monument since 1840, the Saint-Pierre-ès-Liens church, built in the 13th century, is the heritage jewel of the city. It originally had the rank of collegiate, led by a chapter of 13 canons. Its Gothic style (with the exception of the side chapels added in the 16th century), its imposing dimensions evoking a cathedral and its interior furniture (funerary slab of the 14th century, painted altarpiece composed of five parts, sculpture of the Holy Trinity in polychrome limestone of the 15th century) obviously justify a visit. The building remains open to the public despite a major restoration campaign initiated in 2008.
Remains of the former summer palace of the bishops of Langres (at the current town hall), a cross of Pitié (Calvary) of the 15th century, the former house of the Canons (16th century) and an amazing salt granary from 15th, also mark a walk in the medieval heart of the small city with picturesque streets and tangled houses that still dominate some elements of the twelfth century ramparts, as well as old defense towers (like the so-called Boulevard).
Finally, a 17th century cooler that kept the bishops' food during their summer stays and a 15th century salt loft are still evidence of this rich past.
More recent, a walk lined with linden trees (eighteenth century) and restored market in the nineteenth complete the picture!
Guided tours or tales of the old center are offered in summer. Price: 3 to 8 euros. Information and reservation at +33 3 25 29 94 43.
Witness of a much more contemporary history, the Museum of the Resistance of Mussy evokes the tragedy of the maquis of Mussy-Grancey, also known maquis Montcalm, formed in June 1944 and attacked by the German army at the beginning of August following. The establishment labeled "Museum of France" is the subject of a complete rehabilitation and modernization of its museum. It will reopen in late 2019 and in addition to highlighting local episodes of resistance, it will better present in general aspects of the Second World War in the region and the daily lives of people under occupation. Information on +33 3 25 38 42 08.
Always on the cultural level, to note that the library of the commune proposes regularly readings and animations, in particular on the topic of the inheritance. Information on +33 3 25 29 65 46.
Then place to recreation "nature" and in particular the many possible hikes, at departure or in the neighborhood of the village. Circuits obviously include vineyard plots (possible cellar visits) and others are dedicated to the history of the maquis.
We will not forget the charms of the banks of the Seine, able to seduce walkers and fishermen (the river is rich in trout at Mussy). Inquire at +33 3 25 73 35 82.