Medieval city in a green setting, Montreuil-Bellay combines the assets. The old stones in number have earned him the ranking of many monuments, while its exceptional natural environment has earned him his labeling in green station. There are no less than eight villages that make up the commune: Méron, Balloire, Chaumont, Panreux, Trézé, Champ de Liveau, La Motte Bourbon and Lenay. Built on the banks of the Thouet, the village stretches in a countryside only 18 kilometers from Saumur and the banks of the Loire.
It takes its name from the vassal Giraud Berlay, to whom the Comte d'Anjou had entrusted the administration of the commune. A dungeon is built in 1026 on a hillock and the village unfolds at its feet. Cereal production and vineyards drive the economy of the commune as well as the transport of goods by river. Today, the village thrives thanks to its exceptional historical heritage.