Commune francilienne, Montereau-Fault-Yonne takes place in the department of Seine-et-Marne, in the great Parisian crown. It is only a few kilometers from Melun, at the confluence of the Yonne, which gave it its name, and the Seine.
Montereau-Fault-Yonne owes its existence to the creation of a small monastery, in the sixth century. Former domain of the counts of Blois, the town takes off in the eighteenth century with the creation of the pottery of Montereau which will work until the mid 1950s.
Today a large industrial area in the suburbs of Paris, the city of Montereau-Fault-Yonne also attracts visitors with its rich historical and architectural heritage. Its proximity to some of the most beautiful sites of Seine-et-Marne make it also the ideal place to discover the south-east of the Paris region.
Built between the 12th and 14th centuries, the Notre-Dame-et-Saint-Loup collegiate church has been classified as a Historic Monument. It is a place of worship for the chapter of nine canons, depending on the Archbishop of Sens. Inside, there are two classified altarpieces, a statue of the Madonna and Child, classed wooden wings, a painting of the Entombment of the eighteenth century, and a celebrant's armchair also classified. According to tradition, it would welcome within it the sword of John without Fear.
The priory of St. Martin was founded at the beginning of the 10th century, before becoming a simple abandoned farmhouse in the middle of the 20th century. Following excavations, many vestiges have been brought to light, like sarcophagi or foundations of the ancient chapel of the 11th and 13th centuries.
The Creil-Montereau earthenware museum reveals the secrets of the old 18th century manufacture. Opened in the 1980s, it unveils a collection of more than 400 pieces illustrating the evolution of forms and decors over the centuries.
As you walk through the city, be sure to admire the equestrian statue of Napoleon I and his bas-reliefs depicting the Battle of 18 February 1814 and the Hospice de la Charité. The latter is a corbelled house, one of the three having survived in the commune. The site welcomed the poor patients of the city until the beginning of the 18th century.
The municipality houses on its territory the regional nature reserve of the hill of Saint Martin and the Rougeaux. It is rich in more than 400 plant species, many of which are protected.
The market is held on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays morning, and on Thursday afternoons.
Every four years, in February, the city organizes the Napoleon Days with a re-enactment of the battle of 18 February 1814 gathering soldiers in uniform from all over Europe.
The annual fair of the Saint Parfait is held during the month of April with its rides and animations.
In June, place at the Montereau Confluences festival and its festivities.